Next generation 650 Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By JRW2007
  • 1 Post By Smiley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Next generation 650 Versys

Well I love my 2015 and for the most part wouldn't really change too many things. I would like to see the shock relocated as in the 1000 versys. What do you folks think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
Well I love my 2015 and for the most part wouldn't really change too many things. I would like to see the shock relocated as in the 1000 versys. What do you folks think?
Haven't really looked at the V1000 to notice where the shock is....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 03:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Haven't really looked at the V1000 to notice where the shock is....

IMG_6265 by weljo2001, on Flickr

T-Rex Sliders & Gremlin Bell by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Shock Adjuster / V1000

Quote:
I had to look twice, looks like Joe was lowering it, if the 650 ABS had the adjuster where the V1000 is there wouldn't need to be any bending plate needed, makes a lot more sense.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

The location on the V1000 is more traditional as in all dirtbikes and most sport typebikes including my wifes KTM Duke. Took my bike to work yesterday for the first time and everyone thought it looked nice but one of my buddies said the shock was goofy looking. I kinda have to agree. I guess nothing is perfect.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:40 PM

I don't mind it on mine. In fact, I like it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	profile.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	115001  

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:05 AM

nothing to say on shock.
next gen could use:

(major ones)
-a 19" front, of at least a raise-able fender (for adv tire choices)
-some serious frame design thoughts to enable full-weight-capable skid plates.
-add couple inches ground clearance
-flush mount front turn signals (not protruding like now)

(minor ones)
-weight loss like they did on ninja 650
-a lot more underseat space
-voltmeter in the digital cluster
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Been mentioned before, but a 2018 Versys 650 Adventure bike would be awesome. This is a hot market but not many smaller bikes to choose from in the 650cc range.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:06 AM

Lower seat height, lower center of gravity.
godoy.rafa likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Been mentioned before, but a 2018 Versys 650 Adventure bike would be awesome. This is a hot market but not many smaller bikes to choose from in the 650cc range.
I agree, I think it would be cool if they came out with an adventure model, not a whole different bike. Maybe have skid plates, the exhaust moved upward, and dirt bike style footpegs.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:50 PM

If we assume true adventure bikes, take for example the new Honda Africa Twin, are suited primarily for distance dirt road riding, with distance stints on pavement, and not more technical trail riding (bogs, large rocks, tree roots, etc.) which requires a much lighter and more agile bike or 4 wheeler, there are simply not that many places for most of us to ride in these conditions unless we live near an area of very low population with a vast network of dirt roads.

A recent review of the Africa Twin described it as the best handling of the current crop of adventure bikes off road, but also the worst handling of the group on road. Essentially it is a trade off IMO, what makes a bike good off road, is often counter productive when riding on road and vs versa. A 15km foray down dirt roads on my Versys with street tires is certainly doable, but not that much fun, considering the slipperiness of the tires on gravel and dirt, and the harshness of the stiff suspension with default damping and preload settings.

It is for these reasons I assume there is only a limited market for an adventure bike model that trades off its on pavement performance for improved off road performance.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-16-2017 at 09:09 PM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:13 AM

Garage
I think that the best upgrade to the rear suspension would be to use a linkage system rather that the harsh direct suspension in current usage.
trialsguy likes this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 05:43 AM

Things I would like:

The instrument panel from the updated 650 Ninja.
Centerstand or belt/shaft drive.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 06:15 AM

Garage
Belt drive would not work with the present swingarm and would require a total redesign. Shaft drive is nice but it adds weight.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Tried sending a PM to Squishman but no reply so far. Does anyone know what brand of rear bag he has on his bike? I want the same type bag or similar brand.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 08:10 AM

The new naked bike version has supposedly lost over 40 lbs and has a linkage type rear suspension, One would think some of that would carry over to the new Versys (assuming there will be one).

I think the dirt bikes went to the rear linkage to allow a progressive rate (rising rate?) to better maintain rear wheel contact in rough places. My only problem with the Versys suspension was the original high static friction that has gradually subsided with miles ridden. A more progressive rate has the potential to allow a bit more freeway plushness, hopefully without too much dive & wallow. I'd vote for a linkage rear if it doesn't add too much cost
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Belt drive would not work with the present swingarm and would require a total redesign. Shaft drive is nice but it adds weight.
Well, they did a complete redesign of the Ninja 650 so it's not out of the question. On the other hand if a factory centerstand were available I would have no issues with the current chain drive.

There are other issues with a shaft drive but I had one on my 84 CB650 and for me the positives outweighed the negatives.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 04:13 PM

Garage
I just want a Versys-X 650 version of the next gen bike.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

I agree that a big brother Versys x-650 would be great. Add some hard cases to the sides if not standard and boom, getcha some of that. A real off-road worthy bike. Are you listening Mean Green?
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 05:36 PM

Garage
I'm not certain that a Versys X-650 would sell in sufficient numbers for Kawasaki to warrant a build. It is not likely a simple matter of dropping the 650 engine into that frame.

Personally speaking, I would rather have the lighter weight and nimbleness of the X-300. Plus it is a parallel twin of the proven design shared over several successful lines, a bulletproof engine with guts. If that is, I ventured to off-road single track rides.

Which will likely happen shortly after I win the lottery, get that woman ( for one night only, please), am guaranteed dry weather rides every time, plus convince myself that I can still do it.
For the occasional ride on gravel that I take, my old '07 V does nicely. But that X300 is sweet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode