Bike stands for Gen3 - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
I went ahead and ordered the forward pull Pit Bull stand. I think it seems pretty slick. Looks easy to use too.

Be sure and let us know how it works out.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
Ok. I shall.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:20 PM

hydraulic jack

saw a picture on the forum of a '15 being lifted from under the muffer, below the bike, with and ordinary floor jack with a 1x4 piece of wood as a cushion. any one else do this? any chance of permanent damage? lifted to set on jack stands using the peg mounts.
thanks
bob

post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsad View Post
saw a picture on the forum of a '15 being lifted from under the muffer, below the bike, with and ordinary floor jack with a 1x4 piece of wood as a cushion. any one else do this? any chance of permanent damage? lifted to set on jack stands using the peg mounts.
thanks
bob
Sounds very cumbersome and perhaps worse. If someone wants to do it cheap and without a bona-fide stand, I have been (until my new one comes this week) using a very stable and very cheap way to have the rear up and the bike is very straight for maintenance, cleaning and up all winter (2 winters in a row). It is described in my original post above. But in case anyone wants specifics: Get spindles on the bike of course, then when the bike is on the kickstand, situate a stable hunk of wood (I used a 4x4 attached to an 8 x 8 - 3/4 inch plywood for stability and on top of the 4x4, I screwed on a hunk of hard rubber (like a furniture floor protector, that kind of rubber) where it meets the spindle. To situate this for length, it needs to just slip under the right spindle. Then I found a $20 scissor jack on Amazon with sort of a "V" on top and that goes under the left spindle (I used a small rag under the spindle) and just a few cranks and the bike is up and even. Not as great as a real stand, but it's not bad! Sorry, I never took any photos.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT

Last edited by Squishman; 02-15-2017 at 09:46 PM.
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:11 PM

squishman, i can picture exactly what you did, based on your description. bravo for ingenuity at a value price!!

with the jack stands under the driver pegs, the stability is reasonable enough for me if the bike is strapped down, either front or rear. i'm most concerned with the ability of the bike to be lifted with a floor jack under the muffler. does that cause any damage to the muffler or the mountings assuming wood is used as a buffer? i have the ability, by the use of a harbor freight floor brace, to strap the bike securely. the speed of using the floor jack is appealing to me. lifted in that manner, i could raise either the front or rear of the bike easily for all types of maintenance or repairs.
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

In case anyone is using my above described rear lift set-up, I should add that I also had a hunk of wood about as high as a hockey puck under the kickstand before sliding the wood apparatus under the right spindle. Leave that under the kickstand when you crank up the scissor jack and then it is helpful if it is there when lowering too. The wood apparatus total height is 10.75 inches from the bottom to the top of the rubber.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT

Last edited by Squishman; 02-17-2017 at 07:06 PM.
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:30 PM

Garage
I have a dumb newb question related to stands: I'm just now about to get into doing minor maintenance myself (oil changes, chain lube, etc.). Do I need both a front AND rear stand, or is the rear stand sufficient for those minor maintenance jobs?
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob9876 View Post
I have a dumb newb question related to stands: I'm just now about to get into doing minor maintenance myself (oil changes, chain lube, etc.). Do I need both a front AND rear stand, or is the rear stand sufficient for those minor maintenance jobs?
IF you plan to do anything on the forks, front wheel, etc - you'll need a front-stand, and POSSIBLY a triple-clamp 'bit'.

Here's a pic of my '08 on BOTH (T-Rex stands).

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Also a front stand is nice for general cleaning too. Makes it about one billion times easier to clean the front wheel!

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Revzilla, awesome as always, agreed to exchange it for the Pit Bull stand you refer to (even though stands that have been tried out are normally not accepted for returns). Mine should show up any day now. Revzilla also changed the description on their site to indicate the SS won't work on the MK3 Versys 650 and that the 'Busa, et al. stand should be used.
Doug, I assume that you have received your Pitbull 'busa stand by now. How did it work out?

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Went up fairly easy the first time. It was a little hard to balance the bike and find the right spool. But once I did, it went right up. I am sure there will be no difficulty the second time.
Taking it down the first time was a little scary. I did not know what to expect. You don't have the advantage of using the front brake when the back wheel hits the ground. I placed a hunk of split wood behind the back wheel to prevent it from sailing backwards when it landed. It worked, so I will do that again. It was harder than expected just trying to balance the bike with the left hand grip, squat down and lift the bar the first time. I am positive it will be a piece of cake the 2nd and 3rd time since now I know what to expect.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Price seems Right

Quote:
Great! Thanks you guys. So far, I ordered the Venom front stand. That rear Pit Bull is a little spendy, but it is the one I'll buy.
You mentioned you ordered it, would you mind posting some pictures and how it worked out, as it mentions in the Venom stand that it includes 5 pins from 13 to 18mm, I just measured the front at 28mm so in a earlier post a 27mm pin was mentioned. I have my doubts about this venom stand!
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
You mentioned you ordered it, would you mind posting some pictures and how it worked out, as it mentions in the Venom stand that it includes 5 pins from 13 to 18mm, I just measured the front at 28mm so in a earlier post a 27mm pin was mentioned. I have my doubts about this venom stand!
I have only one photo of the Pit Bull rear stand. I haven't used the front Venom stand yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0048.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	115305  

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 10:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, but I'm really not much on wrenching so perhaps I should rephrase: If I *only* do oil changes and chain lubes, do I need a front stand? And if not, will I need some type of chock for the front wheel to do oil changes and chain lubes only?
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, but I'm really not much on wrenching so perhaps I should rephrase: If I *only* do oil changes and chain lubes, do I need a front stand? And if not, will I need some type of chock for the front wheel to do oil changes and chain lubes only?
In that case you should be alright with the rear stand only.
This can be done without stands, but is much easier with a rear stand.
Rob9876 likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Doug, I assume that you have received your Pitbull 'busa stand by now. How did it work out?
There was a glitch with PB; should arrive in next day or two.
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Taking it down the first time was a little scary. I did not know what to expect. You don't have the advantage of using the front brake when the back wheel hits the ground.
HI Squishman

Making sure the side stand is down I stand on the right side of the bike, right hand on the front brake, left hand on the passenger grab, and roll the wheels of my Pit Bull against the left foot.

The bike rolls forward a bit, and the stand goes out the back about a foot.

I then lean the bike to the left onto the side stand.

Much easier than trying to pick up the handle of the rear pit stand and balance the bike from behind.
onewizard, quexpress and Squishman like this.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
NO to BOTH questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
In that case you should be alright with the rear stand only.
This can be done without stands, but is much easier with a rear stand.
What quexpress said.

In point of fact - as the Gen 3 650s have a relocated oil-drain plug to the LEFT side of the oil-pan, they drain BEST on the side stand!
Rob9876 likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
HI Squishman

Making sure the side stand is down I stand on the right side of the bike, right hand on the front brake, left hand on the passenger grab, and roll the wheels of my Pit Bull against the left foot.

The bike rolls forward a bit, and the stand goes out the back about a foot.

I then lean the bike to the left onto the side stand.

Much easier than trying to pick up the handle of the rear pit stand and balance the bike from behind.
Sorry, I just saw your post Big Aussie.
Thanks for the tip! I will try that.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 11:46 AM

Garage
Hey I bought that same venom triple tree stand but realized too late that I needed a larger pin for it to work, did you ever get yours to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode