Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Should I let the V go?

6K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  turn8a 
#1 ·
So I have had the 2015 Verses 650 LT for 1 Full riding season and am debating letting it go.... sadly.... I really like the bike, LOVE the handling, power is enough, but there is just one thing.... On long rides ( 200+ Miles ) I get a real sharp pain between the shoulder blades and by the time I get home I can't ride for a few days. I had a CBR600 F4I before the versys that i NEVER experienced this pain with. The reason I went to the V is comfort as riding the CBR was too far leaned forward and my wrists would get tired.

I have been eyeing up a 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000. It is a little leaned forward but a lot less than the CBR. I am hoping that I won't get that sharp pain between my shoulder blades. If it wasn't for that I would keep the V for sure. Unless anyone here has some suggestions.

I have the stock seat which I don't mind too much as I am 160Lbs, 5'9" and 30" inseam.

I also have tried using 2" ROX Risers on my V which helped a little and extended my riding time by about 100 miles. If the bars were closer to me than I don't think this would be a problem. The CBR had a lot lower bars which was hard on the wrists but my shoulder blades were fine however the bars were a lot closer to me so the reach I think is what is killing my shoulder blades.

ANY info would be great... also, if anyone has spent any time on the Ninja 1000 please let me know what you think. I like long rides haha and ride a lot. I put about 6000 Miles on my V in 7 months.

See less See more
#2 ·
Having a bike with tubular bars is huge when having issues like yours. I used to have a concours 1000 and had the same issues. it had clip on's and there really wasn't much I could do so I ended up building an adapter for tube bars, and then the world was my oyster. You can buy tube bars very inexpensively, about 20-25 a bar, and experiment. You'll be somewhat limited by the cable lengths, but you should be able to accomplish alot even with the stock cabling. ATV bars can be a nice option if you want to go a bit higher. good luck - steve

#5 ·
Relax, regularly do flapping wings and shoulder circles while riding to identify when/where you are too tight.
But it's muscular. You will adapt and develop. Otherwise, go see a physio to do so.

I can't imagine the V very upright posture and handlebars being the root cause though.
You might simply be holding more weight with the back, now that you don't rest on handlebars. So, straight back is important.

#6 ·
I had shoulder pain too until I rotated the stock bar slightly towards me. I adjusted the clutch and brake levers to suit and I put mirror extension blocks under Tuono mirrors.

I also have a Seat Concepts saddle and peg lowers. Those adaptations created ideal rider ergonomics for me. I'm 6' 2" with 34" inseam.

I would recommend that you explore some changes, one step at a time before giving up on the V. I would start with bar rotation and lever adjustments. There is no one size fits all in my riding experience. I have made adjustments on every bike I've owned.

#12 ·
I had shoulder pain too until I rotated the stock bar slightly towards me....I would start with bar rotation and lever adjustments....
I have found that as little as 5 to 10 degrees difference (moving the bars forward OR back) can make a HUGE difference, as it 'rotates' them too!

:goodluck:

#8 ·
30 inch inseam

I have had numerous back injuries over the years, as a electrician there is always a strain, working off ladders, bending conduit, just pushing the body beyond the limits, and some might chime in and say, lift with your legs, we all practiced that, enough of that. So I have a 30 inch inseam, I have Speedy Highway peg mounts and Revco pegs, I also have speedy lowering for my main pegs and also for the passenger. I just recently modified my seat. This year on the 2015, my longest ride was just under 1000 KM or 600 miles, that was a long day. What I do is use my highway pegs 90% of my ride, my arms and legs are stretched out, my legs are pushing my butt into the passenger seat, and this year I am looking forward to a even better seating position now that I modified my seat.
Try sitting at a table and hold your arms out as if riding the bike, for me less than 30 seconds, I can feel it in my neck and between the shoulder blades, yet on the bike I am fine, I also leaned the bars slightly back, however you are limited, because many of the parts on the bars have locating pins.I forgot to mention I am 5'7", and many question why I lowered the bike and the pegs, well I have no idea how a guy 6'3" can be comfortable with stock pegs.

#9 ·
To be fair, most people who ride 200 mile days will be a little sore the next day. We are all built different, have various levels of strength and flexibility, some of us exercise and some don't. I doubt switching to a different bike you suggested will make a hugh difference. Take a few more breaks on longer rides and try not to grip the bike too hard on the grips. Good luck!

#14 ·
To be fair, most people who ride 200 mile days will be a little sore the next day.
Well, I regularly took my Harley Electra Glide on trips of 500+ miles for multiple days -- and while I was tired, I wasn't sore anywhere. Just sayin'.

#10 ·
I had to do a number of mods to the Versys to make it comfortable.....3.5" ROX risers, Grip Buddies, a throttle lock, highway pegs, and re-shaping the seat (added a gel pad also). With the risers I just followed the slope of the OEM riser. It raises the bars about 2" and extends them back by about 3". Works pretty good.

#11 ·
You should be light on the handlebars regardless of what bike you are riding. Your core and legs should be holding your body. Sounds like you were not keeping the back of your hand in line with your forearm when riding the CBR.
Sounds like you are tensng up through the shoulders while riding the Versys.
Focus on relaxing the arms while riding. Focus on good posture. You elbows should be slightly bent and the back of your hands should be aligned with your forearms. You should have no weight on your hands except when you are pushing the bar to lean into a curve.
Until you work on your body mechanics you will find something sore from each style of bike.

#13 ·
Thanks A LOT for your replies. After reading your insight I have decided to Keep the V as I love the way it looks and the lightning fast handling. I won't lie, i also do enjoy how it sips fuel :).

I will keep the rox risers for now, might try the motowerk 1.5" just to see if I need to go just a little lower.

I am looking into a seat as we speak. Having a hard time choosing between the sargent world sport seat or a seat concepts. I used to have a seat concepts on my DRZ400 and it was awesome, however I am trying to avoid making the bike any taller. Not that i can't deal with taller, i just try not to. My Pure MX days with a 30 foot seat hight days are over. I did notice that the seating position on the DRZ400 caused me pretty much no pain anywhere, mind you that was years ago when i was made of rubber.

I am also going to look into another rear spring as mully123 stated. Do you guys know what the stock spring rate is for the 2k15 V 650? If so, what rate would you suggest for 160Lbs?

Once again, Thanks so much for the input!

#16 ·
You're probably tense from trying to avoid bugs the size of birds on Alberta highways!

Perhaps have someone take your side shot sitting on the bike and map your ergos (bum, hands, shoulders, knees, feet), make your changes, reshoot the pic and measure what works and what doesn't. In my case, I ended up looking for a neutral shape and had the help of my yoga instructor wife; arms not outstretched, back not arched (slouched), and hips not rotated forward/up (slouch style, which pressures the tailbone). Might be interesting to shoot the pic at the end of a long ride too as you'll be favoring the sore spots and riding in a position closest to 'relief'. Some of the custom seat builders want this pic before they'll build your seat, all about the posture and ergos - trial and error for most of us, but once you dial it in....

And the stock V seat riser mod changes the ergos a lot.

good luck!!

#17 ·
I know what you guys mean by being tense. The more I think about it It may also be the lack of movement. I used to live in ontario and when I lived there most would consider a 100 mile day a good day of riding. Mainly because all the speed limits are lower, far less long constant speed stretches, a lot more stops, red lights, etc. In northern alberta I can literally start my bike in the drive way, hit 2 red lights, then I hold the bike at 120 Kph non stop for almost 4 hours straight as I am literally in the middle of nowhere with just a straight nearly turnless highway that seems never ending to get to Edmonton. Where in ontario my body position would reset many many times during a ride as i had to stop, feet down, hands off the bars, etc, then carry on.

****** I would REALLy like input on a literal difference on a seat. What would you guys vote for? The Seat concepts standard height VS Sargent world sport seat??

P.S.: I alo LOVE how i can just stand on the pegs and not slow down at ALL for speed bumps haha.

#21 ·
****** I would REALLy like input on a literal difference on a seat. What would you guys vote for? The Seat concepts standard height VS Sargent world sport seat??....
I WAS gonna make the same suggestion that PHX_Joe just made - raise the FRONT of your seat BEFORE you try anything else...! Here's what about $2 will do, for longer bolts, a dozen washers, and a piece of scrap steel you have lying around your shop....

:thumb: - :thumb:

#18 ·
The Ergo Picture seems like a good idea too! and I know what you mean by bugs the size of baseballs!! In the early/mid summer my bike is literally oozing with thousands of dead bugs all over my fairings, helmet, windscreen. Thats why I invested in my own gas pressure washer hahaha ( and a lot of SPRAY NINE, that stuff is amazing! )

#19 ·
4 hours to Edmonton.... I have family in Wandering River, distant family towards Grande Cache, and friends towards Battleford. Besides the bugs and 52 weeks of winter, not a bad area....

If you haven't done the seat mod, which can be found in the how-to forum (I think), I would start with that. Many others on this forum would agree. Couple bucks worth of hardware could change a lot of this with the sliding forward issue and just plan crappy slope of the stock seat - personally went from buying a spare seat to have it custom upholstered to being mostly happy with the stock seat, for under $10.

#23 ·
I have done a 500 mile day before on the V and felt better after it than doing the same trip on the CBR. Since the risers The pain went from an 8 out of 10 down to a 4 out of 10 i would say. I don't know if I am being unrealistic, but I want it down to a 0.

#25 ·
The only issue I ever had was my left hand/arm going numb. This typically happened to me after a week plus of riding every day (most all of the day) in a row. I'm not so sure it was my 08 Versys that caused it as I did a 5K trip on my 2011 Concours and I had the same thing happen to me. My Concours had Horizon Heli replacement bars that allow my riding position and arm position to be super relaxed. Not sure that this helps... but thought to mention it.

#26 ·
Well I just ordered a Sargent Seat, and Kaoko Cruise control (not really real cruise). I figure if I can take my right arm off the bars and alternate hands on those super long stretches of nothingness It might help out.

Thanks again everyone for your input!! While I wait for my Sargent I am going to try raising the front of my stocker too.

#27 ·
So I ended up getting the Sargent world sport seat, MotoWerek 1.5" Risers, and a Kaoko Throttle Lock. Hopefully I can ride in the next few weeks ( cold out right now ). I couldn't find a position I liked with the 2" rox risers. They are up for grabs for cheap if anyone wants.

#28 ·
Versys verses Ninja 1000

So I have had the 2015 Verses 650 LT for 1 Full riding season and am debating letting it go.... sadly....

I have been eyeing up a 2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000.... so the reach I think is what is killing my shoulder blades.

It sounds like you've identified overreaching as the probable cause of your sore shoulders, but you would want to verify that before buying a new bike. Also, are there perhaps other factors driving your desire toward a new bike, in this case the Ninja 1000? I would suspect there are.

I have a Ninja 650 (2014) in addition to my 2016 Versys 650 LT. I haven't been on a Ninja 1000 but the ergonomics are not too different from a Ninja 650. The one thing I would say is that with the Ninja you would probably solve the reach issue but you might sacrifice some seating comfort due to the forward lean, and the Ninja rear suspension won't be as compliant on rough roads. These factors could result in less comfort, not more.

Just some thoughts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.