Highway Cruising Speed - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Highway Cruising Speed

Hey Riders,
What is a comfortable cruising speed for you on the freeway / highway where the limit is 70, 80 MPH?
I ride a 2016 650 LT and 75 - 80 is pretty good, over that things get a bit rushed for me but bike seems to do well. I have a California Scientific windshield which helps.
Thoughts, ideas, experiences?

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

I HAVE 'cruised' as high as low-90s (say, 95mph), but it AIN'T a great idea, as the LEOs will probably "take exception".

Usually at the 'limit' + 5mph.
aboyandhisversys likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:26 AM

I have not done any correction to my Speedo by sprocket or tire, so I cruise at 74ish on the speedo which I believe is close to 70 actual.. I personally don't like the buzzing at much higher speeds on this particular bike.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:54 AM

I went one up on the front sprocket and it pretty much makes the speedometer correct.... now 70 indicated is actually 71.

Anyways, I now set it on the speed limit, as indicated by the speedometer. At 70 or 75, it cruises nicely, all day long

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:51 PM

I'm generally comfortable at 70ish, but riding in the Chicago metropolitan area can force me into the ludicrous zone to keep from getting flattened.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:09 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
ive hit speeds of 110mph 2-up with the givi wind sail and it didnt complain but it took its time getting there.... i ride at 65-95mph most of the time and done 30+ mile stretches at 90mph+ and have never had any problems other then wind buffeting (due to being 6'2 and having a crap helmet with big ears on it)
bigaussie likes this.

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 02:07 AM

I have a 2015 650LT with a 43T rear sprocket. It has the same effect on the gearing as lowering the front sprocket by one tooth. I did a highway trip through several states with a 80mph speed limit and was cruising at 85-90mph for long stretches. I didn't notice any extra vibration. The bike handled that speed fine - I do have a GIVI tall windshield which works amazingly well at keeping the wind blast off of me.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:01 AM

I like 65.........car, truck, or bike. I'm just generally not in much of a hurry.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:50 AM

Garage
Above 80 mph on my bike, the hand guards/windscreen/bags or some combination of the parts, cause the bike to be very susceptible to wind wobbles on the front end. So I cruise at about 75 or so.

Keep it rubber side down and enjoy the ride
Get healthy - Get Fit - Change Your Life

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 08:10 PM

I am curious about how the 1000 LT handles at 80mph. I currently have an FJR and am contemplating trading it in on the Versys. I commute 100 miles each day-mostly 3 lanes of interstate and my FJR handles it with ease. A test ride is in my future, but looking for other rides experiences.

2011 Yamaha FJR 1300
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 08:45 PM

Garage
I generally cruise on the interstate between 75-80 comfortably. The engine is winding out a bit more than my FJR did at those speeds, but it's still only right around 6,000 rpms.

Last edited by james75; 02-24-2017 at 08:48 PM.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 09:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfjeff View Post
I am curious about how the 1000 LT handles at 80mph. I currently have an FJR and am contemplating trading it in on the Versys. I commute 100 miles each day-mostly 3 lanes of interstate and my FJR handles it with ease. A test ride is in my future, but looking for other rides experiences.

I had an FJR now have a Versys 1000 The V-1000 handles 80mph like a champ. I'm always over 80 on the freeway out here in Cali..BTW it handles triple digits well also...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 09:50 PM

Thanks Weljo, I tried to PM you with some specific questions but since I am a newbe, I can't yet send pm's or emails.

2011 Yamaha FJR 1300
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 10:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Weljo, I tried to PM you with some specific questions but since I am a newbe, I can't yet send pm's or emails.

Anytime....If you have any questions for me just post them on this thread of mine ........Moto Werk's Goodies For The Versys 1000

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 03:16 PM

Garage
I had a gen 2 with stock gearing and it would do any speed I cared to ask of it. Top speed is accomplished in 5th gear instead of 6th.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 03:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
I would probably go with a new FJR with the 6 speed, electronic cruise control, power windshield, and electronic suspension adjustment for a 100 mile commute. The shaft drive will cut down on the chain maintenance required on the Versys. The cruise control will help with fatigue. Adjustable windshield for changing weather conditions. Electronic suspension adjustment for changing road conditions.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:03 PM

Garage
Have to agree with twowheeladdict. Had a FJR, now have a Versys. Long distance, high-speed superslab rides are the only thing the FJR does better than the Versys, but if that's most of your riding, the FJR makes sense.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:05 PM

Cruising 75-85 on a 650? I've not been able to do it. Bigger windscreen helps but I'm thinking of going to the 1000 for highway riding.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:25 AM

2015 650LT here, 75mph 2 up all day long fully loaded. Run a madstad windshield and sargent seat. The 15+ V650 is an absolute touring bargin when set up for long distance riding.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
Cruising 75-85 on a 650? I've not been able to do it. Bigger windscreen helps but I'm thinking of going to the 1000 for highway riding....
I do it all the time, and that's w/ a BIG windscreen! Also done it two-up. THAT includes BOTH of my 'current' V 650s.

andyversystheworld likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode