Highway Cruising Speed - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:07 PM

My 2015 Versys 650 LT handles highway speeds fine. At most highway speeds it's smoother than my 2012 Ninja 650 I used to own. An iPhone app I have indicates my speedo is about 3% too fast. So according to the app if I'm going 72 mph on the speedo, I'm doing 70 mph. I just don't know how accurate the app might be but those roadside radar speed limit signs in our area tend to validate the apps accuracy. FWIW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP RIDER View Post
My 2015 Versys 650 LT handles highway speeds fine. At most highway speeds it's smoother than my 2012 Ninja 650 I used to own. An iPhone app I have indicates my speedo is about 3% too fast. So according to the app if I'm going 72 mph on the speedo, I'm doing 70 mph. I just don't know how accurate the app might be but those roadside radar speed limit signs in our area tend to validate the apps accuracy. FWIW.
I have a Garmin GPS watch for running and I've checked it against my speedometer and I'm getting about the exact same as you. I think at 75 on the speedo it's 72 on the Garmin. That's completely normal. I've had bikes that are off by closer to 10% at those speeds.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
I have a Garmin GPS watch for running and I've checked it against my speedometer and I'm getting about the exact same as you. I think at 75 on the speedo it's 72 on the Garmin. That's completely normal. I've had bikes that are off by closer to 10% at those speeds.
I got tired of trying to adjust the speed in my head to make sure I was not speeding through small towns or on the highway for that matter. So I just installed a speedometer corrector. I have not calibrated it yet, but seems like a slick device. it interupts the speed pulses and modifies them to get correct speed on the speedometer. You enter the correction factor that you need.

SpeedoDRD
quexpress likes this.

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I do it all the time, and that's w/ a BIG windscreen! Also done it two-up. THAT includes BOTH of my 'current' V 650s.

I've got a 20" MadStad which helped the buffeting but I just can't feel comfortable above 60 mph. Crosswinds just kill the riding experience.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have noticed as well with my Garmin GPS my speedo clocks about 3 MPH faster than I am going. I make the mental adjustments! I also have my Garmin Zumo set up on motorcycle mode so the digital read outs are big. Helps when glancing down!
Enjoy!

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:40 PM

How about cruising 80 with a passenger and top case? Is the Versys 1000 capable and stable and able to pass at will? Not doubting or challenging, just looking for real world opinions.

2011 Yamaha FJR 1300
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfjeff View Post
How about cruising 80 with a passenger and top case? Is the Versys 1000 capable and stable and able to pass at will? Not doubting or challenging, just looking for real world opinions.

I'm close to 300 lbs Girlfriend is about 110 lbs i have a Givi E-55 Top Case and have no issues....She likes being on the back of the Versys better than the FJR. She was pissed when i sold my Versys 650 to get the FJR. When we test rode the V-1000 she was the one that wanted me to trade the FJR in on The V-1000. I wanted the new bike but she really wanted it....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:26 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I'm close to 300 lbs
Holy cow! Is that all pure muscle mass? How tall are you?
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Holy cow! Is that all pure muscle mass? How tall are you?

6'2"

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-03-2017 at 11:51 PM.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 03:05 AM

Quote:
I also owned an FJR. I had a Power Commander on both, mostly to sort their jerky throttles. On the FJR it made quite a bit more power in the midrange with the PC. You could hear the difference in the intake quite noticeably too. Can't really tell if the V1k got any sportier with the PC, but it does fuel much better on/off the throttle.
By my butt dyno, the FJR was the faster bike. It had a pretty big power spike around 6-7k rpm.
The V1k has a much more linear power delivery and it's not as much as the FJR with its 30% displacement advantage. That said, it's lighter and by no means slow or unable to cart two people around briskly.
My V1k has 30k miles on it now and several trips with the wife and luggage. It is a great bike to travel on.

Science...because we don't figure things out by praying.
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 08:04 AM

2016 Versys 650 ABS stock and Shad SH40 top case... 70-85mph no qestions.
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
BOTH my '08 in AZ, and my '15 in BC (both are 650s) will carry a passenger well into 'illegal' speeds. (NO top box, tho'...)

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Alternate to GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW2007 View Post
I got tired of trying to adjust the speed in my head to make sure I was not speeding through small towns or on the highway for that matter. So I just installed a speedometer corrector. I have not calibrated it yet, but seems like a slick device. it interupts the speed pulses and modifies them to get correct speed on the speedometer. You enter the correction factor that you need.

SpeedoDRD
Since my GPS is normally left on the bike, I don't worry too much, something I would like to point out. The original back tire on my 2015 gave a within 1 KM/HR reading comparing to my GPS, as the tire wore, so did the offset of displayed speed to actual speed. I replaced the tire with a Michelin PR 4, displayed speed is off by 4 to 5% right from new, so circumference of the two tires is different even though the tire size is identical. Your fix is ideal for those that don't have a GPS and like the gearing the way it is.
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 06:37 PM

I finally got the speedo correct. Took a couple short runs on highway, exit to exit. I was not letting my GPS determine speed long enough at first and I entered wrong correct. After better stabilization, I found I need -4.2% correction. now the bike speedo is dead on!

Last edited by JRW2007; 03-08-2017 at 11:24 AM. Reason: had wrong %
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode