Sub-Forum--Kawasaki Versys-X 300 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Sub-Forum--Kawasaki Versys-X 300

Will this Forum add a sub-forum for the Versys-X 300 like you folks did for the Versys 1000?
I'm downsizing from my Suzuki V-Strom 1000 to the Versys X300.
I hope other members, current or new will be posting information about the new smaller Versys!

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Been a While

Well we will see if there is interest.If you check the Versys 1000 , very little activity, nothing since December 22 ,2016. I will stick this thread and see if there is interest. I recall one new recent member had one. So Versys -X-300 post here

Last edited by onewizard; 02-03-2017 at 06:52 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 09:26 AM

Garage
I've ridden one today

The Brisbane Moss Street Kwaka dealer has a demo Versys X 300 and I got to take it out today. The salesman who jumped up first just happened to ride the same dirt roads as I do on his KLR 650 so after swapping tales of the roads we have both ridden he took me on a bit of a tour with me on the X 300 following his KLR 650 around mostly very busy streets, BUT he took me to some spare land on an industrial estate where some locals have made a M/X track.

It was mostly hardpack with a little dirt and stones, lots of potholes and more than a few rain ruts, and a couple of small jumps. The X300 handled everything without complaint. Mind you I was taking things cautiously - no racing on a strange bike and an unknown track. I also had to sign off on what might cost me up to $2,500.

I'd like the seat to be a little higher for my 5' 11", although I was surprised how comfortable the bars, seat, footpegs did feel and getting up on the pegs was easy enough.

For a 300cc twin it has amazing power. You could easily think that it is a 400cc + bike. It starts to howl at 6,000 rpm with a red line at 12,000 rpm. And it goes - and it is linear. It would also pull away cleanly from 3,000 rpm no worries. He led me back via the motorway and at 95 km/hr (60 mph) it's spinning at 7,000 rpm.

I agree with gearing up. 1st is very low and I easily pulled away from a stop in second by just riding the clutch a little. First is pretty useless and I'd think that the engine will easily pull +1 tooth on the front as well as perhaps -2 teeth on the rear. I'd think that 100-120 km/hr speeds down the motorway would become frustrating fairly quickly.

The clutch is amazingly light and it took a little while to get used to the take up point being when the lever was almost fully out. The front brake (unfortunately non adjustable) had very little play and felt very wooden/unresponsive but the bike had only done 250kms.

The steel frame reminded me of the same one piece welded unit of my 1995 KDX 200. Even the footpeg mounts were part of the frame and I would think that wanting to move them would become a major engineering challenge. I would have preferred a slightly wider handlebar for riding dirt roads.

It handled very neutrally. Put it into a curve and it stayed there with no tendency to either fall in or stand up - even when accelerating mid curve. The screen was very effective - far better than my V-Strom, and no buffeting either.

The demo was the "grey" model which looked quite conservative until late in the day or under artificial light when the metallic colour stands out like small metalflake. They had no floor stock (sold out at 3 to 1 in green which is also a metallic finish) but are readily available from the distributors warehouse.

I was also interested to look at the Honda CRF 250 Rally and the yet to be released BMW 305 GS but as they are singles and effectively dirt bikes are sure to be both less powerful and less comfortable. I was very impressed.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Brockie,
Nice write-up/review of the X. I have not had a chance to even sit on one. I am also waiting for a test ride of the X and the G305GS and the CRF250 Rally before making my next purchase.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.
PCG

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
...The clutch is amazingly light and it took a little while to get used to the take up point being when the lever was almost fully out....
This seems to be the way Ma Kawi sets up (all) their bikes, and one of the FIRST things I did to all three of my V 650s was to adjust so the "take-up-point" is about mid-way from the handle bars. I've done this for quite a few others on Kawis, too.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 02:09 PM

Garage
It's the front brake that concerned me the most. Perhaps it just needed a clean or the opportunity to bed in. The missing adjusters and bolt on bits all help to keep the price down, and it is a very good price.
The suspension is undoubtedly very basic. Even the shock spring preload is by the very old fashioned stepped cam arrangement - I have not owned a bike with that type of adjuster for 30 years. I guess all those little savings must add up.
Lets face it - after a few twiddles on the knobs we mostly leave things alone for years. With this bike you will have to adjust to it, rather than being able to adjust it to suit you.

I am still very keen even though I have not ridden a CRF 250 Rally or seen the BMW 305 GS but both of those would surely not be as powerful or comfortable as the X 300.

The Honda Rally has all the good bits (USD forks etc) and the tech (everything is LED and electronic) but the X 300 is an adaptable road bike where it's competitors are modified dirt bikes. I'm having difficulty convincing myself that I don't want one.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I am still very keen even though I have not ridden a CRF 250 Rally....
I tested one last Saturday. Felt pretty good, as much as you can tell in a structured test-ride....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 08:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I tested one last Saturday. Felt pretty good, as much as you can tell in a structured test-ride....
Does it ride just like a normal trail bike, vibes and all? The Kwaka shop were trying to twist my arm saying that customers had said how gutless the normal CRF 250 is, especially compared to the X 300.
How do you think it might cope with speed and distance for getting to those remote places? There is talk in these threads about the hard X 300 seat but nothing gets as uncomfortable as a small dirt bike after an hour or so.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Does it ride just like a normal trail bike, vibes and all? The Kwaka shop were trying to twist my arm saying that customers had said how gutless the normal CRF 250 is, especially compared to the X 300.
How do you think it might cope with speed and distance for getting to those remote places? There is talk in these threads about the hard X 300 seat but nothing gets as uncomfortable as a small dirt bike after an hour or so.
All I can say is - it felt OK to me, but I did NOT ride any dirt.
Brockie likes this.

Ed

..)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode