Lube chain warm - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Lube chain warm

I just thought of something. I think I'll start warming up my chain with a heat gun on low setting before lubing it. I had always tried after a ride to get off the bike quick, get it on the stand, etc. By that time, it probably cools down a bit. Anyone else had this idea already? Obviously, I am aware of the o-rings, so I am not talking hot, just warm, keeping the heat gun at a good distance on low. Low might be like a hair drier, not sure.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 01:55 PM

You'll just boil the grease right out of it, and likely burn out a few x-rings... Just put the gun down, Squishman!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Lube it ASAP after your ride - it'll be 'hot' enough.... (FORGET that heat gun!)
Lours_Polaire and Squishman like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

The only time I said "heat" was what the gun is called!
One reason I wanted to do it this was is because after winter, hopefully in the next 6 weeks or so, I planned on cleaning the chain before I take it out. So: clean, lube, ride.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Lube it ASAP after your ride - it'll be 'hot' enough.... (FORGET that heat gun!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishman View Post
The only time I said "heat" was what the gun is called!
One reason I wanted to do it this was is because after winter, hopefully in the next 6 weeks or so, I planned on cleaning the chain before I take it out. So: clean, lube, ride.
What I was trying to get across is that I ALWAYS lube my chain when I get back from a ride, while it's still 'warm', EXCEPT when I re-lube it after I wash it (occasionally......).
Squishman likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:42 PM

does lubing after every ride apply to chain wax as well? i have always thought that lubing after a ride, when the chains have accumulated dirt from the road/ride was a bad idea since it would just somehow "push" or force the dirt/grit deeper into the chain, causing damage.. what i do is i clean/degrease the chain when i think its needed then apply wax after.

Speaks softly, but carries a sidearm...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:11 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaMoTe!!! View Post
does lubing after every ride apply to chain wax as well? i have always thought that lubing after a ride, when the chains have accumulated dirt from the road/ride was a bad idea since it would just somehow "push" or force the dirt/grit deeper into the chain, causing damage.. what i do is i clean/degrease the chain when i think its needed then apply wax after.
he (like a few of us) uses just wd-40 for his chain not a wax

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 04:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaMoTe!!! View Post
does lubing after every ride apply to chain wax as well? I have always thought that lubing after a ride, when the chains have accumulated dirt from the road/ride was a bad idea since it would just somehow "push" or force the dirt/grit deeper into the chain, causing damage.. what I do is i clean/degrease the chain when I think it's needed then apply wax after.
It is not necessary to lube the chain with chain wax after every ride. Unless you rode through a torrential downpour or extensively dusty conditions, or you did a ride of Iron Butt proportions, the chain only needs 'waxing' every 5-800 miles in my experience. Modern 'O' or 'X' ring chains are a marvel (compared to old technology); the lubricant is already sealed within the chain and we are only lubricating the side plates of the chain. I don't think that you need to concern yourself about pushing dirt into the chain unless the chain is visually filthy.

Dupont Chain wax is a fine product that I have learned to trust. After application, the chain will not appear shiny like a WD-40 treatment, in fact, the chain appears to be dry. That is a good thing because that 'dry' chain will not fling off the lubricant nor will it attract dirt.

I am not 'by the book' meticulous and am happy to lube the chain within reason in terms of the manual- stipulated mileage, but if I exceed that number by a few hundred KM it won't be the end of the world. When I do decide to lube it after the next ride I don't worry if "after the next ride" becomes the next day because I was hot, sweaty and in need of cold beer. I do watch the tension and keep it aligned with the Motion Pro tool. I rarely clean it other than a wipe with a WD-40 soaked rag, as I don't ride off road.

The chain on my V has well over 30,000 km and I bought the bike used, so I have no idea how many actual km it has accumulated. I noticed an O-ring that had failed shortly after I got it, but there are no tight spots and the sprockets are fine. My casual approach has worked well for me- not neglectful but certainly not obsessive either, using a reliable lubricant when I overcome my latent laziness. I'd rather ride.
quexpress likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:47 PM

I got 50000km on my last KLR chain and that bike is not friendly to chains. I cleaned it once every 5 waxes about. I only wax the inside rollers of the chain when its warm and then spin the tire by hand to get it in there. Then with rags I wipe down the chain so it does not attract dirt.

I have always used the maxim cleaner and gold wax but I tried keroseen (sp) to clean the chain last year and wow it works fast and good.

Crash

2009 650 Versys
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:15 AM

Garage
Thanks for the good advice. I too use a chain wax. I learned to trust chain wax when bicycling many miles over the summer months, mostly so when you brush your bike chain against your favorite bike jersey it is not ruined by a petroleum product impregnated with road dirt and crap.

The chain wax works well on the motorcycle. I clean with kerosene from a WD-40 spray bottle (so the kero does not ruin the o rings in the spray bottle, making it a one use deal), and let it dry from the kero then apply a nice, but light, coat of chain wax. From up on the track stand to finish takes about 20 minutes if I really drag it out, cold beer always mandatory during this job! Working pretty good for me so far. I keep a small can of chain wax in my saddle bag for trips.
Enjoy!

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:55 AM

I've been lubing motorcycle chains since the mid-1970s and like most folks, I try to do it when the chain is warm following a ride because that's what we've always been told. However, I wonder exactly what the science is behind doing that. The only thing I can think of off-hand is that maybe the non-lubricating volatile/propellant compounds in the lube would evaporate quicker or more fully? Certainly the metal itself or the sealing rubber rings wouldn't be affected in any significant manner by the post-ride temperature, right? (Probably not even at full ride temperatures, or we'd be in trouble.) Is this just an old wive's (rider's?) tale? Any metallurgists out there? :^)
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
What I was trying to get across is that I ALWAYS lube my chain when I get back from a ride, while it's still 'warm', EXCEPT when I re-lube it after I wash it (occasionally......).
Just so you understand: I do NOT spray my chain after EVERY ride, just after ANY ride longer than 50 miles or IF I was in rain, and on long rides (D2D for example) about half-way thru each day, and AGAIN when I get to a campsite, BEFORE I set-up my tent, and ALL of those are w/ a WARM chain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyversystheworld View Post
...I clean with kerosene from a WD-40 spray bottle (so the kero does not ruin the o rings in the spray bottle, making it a one use deal), and let it dry from the kero then apply a nice, but light, coat of chain wax....
IF your post is indicating that you believe that WD40 will "ruin the O-rings", be assured that it DOESN'T...!
Lours_Polaire likes this.

Ed

..)

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 09:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Just so you understand: I do NOT spray my chain after EVERY ride, just after ANY ride longer than 50 miles or IF I was in rain, and on long rides (D2D for example) about half-way thru each day, and AGAIN when I get to a campsite, BEFORE I set-up my tent, and ALL of those are w/ a WARM chain!
Now i know why you are such a big wd40 user, it's to find your way back by following the trail of wd40 to your home ...

LOP
onewizard likes this.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 03:32 PM

I feel that lubing the chain when it's warm is one of those things people do because everyone used to, or because everyone says so. I've also heard this advice. Interestingly, my mechanic didn't (and he knows his trade).

Physics-wise, metal will stretch with temperature, but your chain won't heat up enough for it to be a noticeable difference. I've done the math and a raise in temperature of 20 deg C amounts to a stretch of around 0.015 mm in a link of a steel chain. I'd assume the elasticity of the rubber O-rings covers much more than that. So the argument that "the lube will penetrate better due to the chain being stretched" is bogus - besides, it'd penetrate better if the gaps were wider, so if the metal shrunk...

I'm not that great with chemistry - maybe a higher temperature lets the lube "dry out" faster so there's less sling off. My engineering instinct tells me the chain won't heat up for it to be a factor - we're not talking about an order of magnitude difference in temperatures that would induce a phase change or anything. Then again, the compound in the tyres is definitely affected by such a small temperature change, so I might be dead wrong. Anyway, it's not that big of a deal to wait 7 minutes instead of 5 until the lube dries, right?

Long story short - just keep your chain lubed and relatively free of grime, as the manual asks. It probably doesn't matter if you spray the thing when it's at ambient temp or a bit warmer, the lube is designed to work in a wide temperature range after all. Don't overthink it, don't overdo it.

Whether you end up replacing the chain after X or Y miles is probably down more to the bike, riding style and initial quality of the product rather than whether it got lubed before or after a ride.
Smiley and Doug Just Doug like this.

2015 Versys 650
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

This might bring up too many opinions, but what seems to be the best lube these days. Considering reducing wear on the chain and also keeping your bike cleaner. Teflon, wax or lube? I don't think I want to use WD40. I just think it would fling off too fast and you need to re-apply it more frequently that probably anything else.
I am close to needing to buy a new bottle, so this might be a good time to consider other options. I do like keeping my bike clean, so is wax a better plan for that? I have been using PJ1.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 10:11 PM

I think folks get a little OCD with the chain lube/clean thing. I spoke with a couple mechanics, including the mechanics at the shop where I purchased my V1k. I told them what I was doing and what I was using and they said that was fine. I use Motul chain clean and scrub with a brush. I use a shop rag and wipe the chain down and let it dry for about 15 minutes or so. I then spin the rear wheel by hand and apply a thin coat of Motul chain lube/wax. I let the bike sit over night before I ride it again. I plan on lubing the chain every 500 miles or so and cleaning after every 5th lubing or when needed. I guess it depends where you live, the climate, how much and where you ride. There are many variables with this task. It works best for me to do it after I ride. Have not had any problems with the wax/lube flinging off the chain.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Now i know why you are such a big wd40 user, it's to find your way back by following the trail of wd40 to your home ...

LOP
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 09:37 AM

My routine is quick and simple as can be. Scrub the chain clean with wd40 on a rag, ride a few hundred miles, return from a ride, put bike on stand..running in gear(not recommended to anyone btw), hose it down with Dupont "wax". I can repeat the dupont treatment 5 or 6 times before considering cleaning again. Even then, clean up is a 3 minute deal..Imo,it is the greatest chain stuff ever!
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 09:51 AM

Garage
Not to change the subject, but how does the chain wax hold up? I ran it on my bicycles for a while and it stayed clean which I liked, but it seemed like it only lasted 50-60 miles before my drivetrain would start getting noisy and had to be reapplied. And if I rode in the rain, it was useless as it washed off right away. I still used it on my mountain bike as I'm normally riding in dusty conditions and it seems better for that. I'm just wondering if the chain wax for motorcycles is the same as far as needing to apply it a lot more and washing off in the rain.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 10:08 AM

I apply it every few hundred miles since it's so quick. This is the Dupont, yellow can btw. No build up and almost seems like it's not even "there." To me, it's benefit is being able to over do it without causing a mess, which is one enemy of chain life. More is better doesn't apply to most sticky chain lubes... I hate the Maxima wax as the build up drives me nuts!
james75 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode