Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Wolo air horn installed

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
Installed a Wolo Bad Boy air horn yesterday. Not really difficult as I have installed several before. It's a real PITA to get those fairings back on however. Took several times of shifting the horn mounting to not hit the horn with the fairing. Plus it just didn't want to line up. Sure makes a lot of noise in an enclosed metal shop. Now I wait for the gear indicator and the reflective wheel strips to show up, and the snow to melt of course.

#4 ·
kuri77 - I know you didn't ask me, but here's where I've mounted that horn on my Gen 1s:

(in the last pic you can JUST see where I put some 3M paint protection tape to protect the tank, as well as [earlier] pics showing yellow foam), and here's the SAME general area on my Gen 3:

the "arrow" in this pic points to the relay (comes w/ the WOLO):

In BOTH 'installs' the fairing has to be 'pushed' a little to install, and BOTH have lasted MANY miles!

:goodluck:

#3 ·
Sorry, I didn't take any pics (I always forget) but I mounted it where the carbon canister goes for a Cali model. Under the left side mid fairing. Plenty of room once you figure out the exact location necessary. I didn't use the aux connection behind the headlight for power as I didn't want to take the front fairing off. Just ran a wire to the battery. I did utilize the relay though and used a 20 amp fuse as recommended by Wolo.

#6 ·
Eddie and Duffy, how, where and what are you gents attaching the horn too? I have mine mounted on the exterior on the other side at this time, being attached to the unused bolt slot that would held the ABS modulator if my '09 had ABS. I used a bracket that sort of "cantilevers" the horn. I have a Stebal, and the only accommodation to affix this is an odd open bolt seat which I am sure is the same design you have on the WOLO. Since I am fearful that vibration will eventually cause the single bolt, with rubber washers and lock nuts to eventually loosen, I further secure mine with some plastic coated wire around the frame, and created a small foam seat wraped in black duct tape for the horn to rest on.

I want to put mine under the left fairing as you have done, but was not sure how to secure it in that area. Please give me you solution(s).

Attachments

#7 ·
#8 ·
I used the holes (there are 2 to chose from on the Gen III) that are in the frame for the carbon canister. Made a bracket (about 3" long) out of 1/8" steel strap. The strap runs vertically up from the frame. A hole on each end, one to attach to the frame and one to attach the horn. I have my horn mounted horizontally. I used the back hole to attach the horn and the front hole to attach the relay.

#10 ·
I mounted one on a Suzuki C50 and mounted it in the OEM location (pretty much the same place as a Versys). It worked fine there. I lived in Western Washington then and it does rain quite a bit there. Never had a problem with water intrusion. You should be fine there and not have to take off those d**n fairings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.