Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Puig 5999 windshield

8K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  407guy 
#1 ·
Anyone have one of these that fits Gen 3 and do you like it? I want the one in light smoke but I want to know the overall height of the windshield. If yo u have one can you provide a measurement and do you like the windshield? Thanks.

#2 ·
I have a dark tinted one on my '15 1000. I'm actually planning on trying something different eventually. I would like to have something that controls the turbulence a bit better around my helmet. It fits fine and mine doesn't hit the hand guards as some others experienced. I'm guessing it was redesigned to fix that issue before I bought mine.

Check out the reviews on Revzilla here:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...08kLjsTTy0fLHt_Hp2bU1ORSdG-3nCW90YaAp-U8P8HAQ

This is copied from a review there:

Fitted to 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT: The Puig Dimensions by my measure are 19.5 inches high, 19.5 inches at the widest point, 12.5 inches wide at the top and 14.5 inches wide in the middle. Installed at the lowest setting, the Puig rises 13.5 inches above the very top/crown of the dash. By comparison, the stocker is 14 inches in total height, 16 in at the widest point and a mear 9 in wide at the top. The Puig dimensions set up excellent coverage for touring without throwing off the appearance of a ridiculously large screen as some alternatives do. I think the screen has a great "all around" appearance. Install is <5 minutes with a 4mm hex key (six total bolts). I purchased the "dark smoke" which is not opaque as it may appear in photos; more like a dark pair of sunglasses. See attached photos.

#4 · (Edited)
I BELIEVE that the "dark-smoke" Puig I have on my '15 650 is also the 5999. Works well, but I would recommend AGAINST the dark-smoke color. IF you're riding either dirt or bad road, it's difficult to see the road just in front of the wheel.

This will give an idea of how dark it is:

#6 ·
I also have the 5999 on my gen3...
and in the Dark smoke (5999F)

Its a good windscreen for the money, and Fast Eddie is right, you probably want it in the light smoke (5999H).
I don't mind the dark screen, even at night, but then I look "over" the top of it more than most people would.
If you are less than 6 foot 6 .... pass on the "Dark" screens.

#8 ·
Do any of you have any issues with the handguards hitting the Puig windshield when you turn? Someone was complaining about that on the website. Also, did you have any fitment issues with it? Thanks.

#9 ·
Great Windshield

I'm 6'7/235 lbs and put one on my 2017 V1k about a month ago. It's about 5 inches taller than the stock and a few inches wider on each side. I've had the bike on the freeway a few times and there were no problems with the wind. Even riding with the screen in its lowest position I had great protection.

The only problem was with installation. I had to drill the holes a little wider so the stock rubber washers could fit. It was a minor obstacle, easy fix, about a 15 minute install. If you have a 2015 or older then there is no issue, should be a 5 minute job.

#12 ·
Well, I ordered the clear one today. I want the extra width, but it might be too tall for me. I ride with the stock windshield in the highest position, though, so perhaps I'll be OK.

#14 ·
I ordered them from Amazon, had it on for three days and sent if back. It didn't fit well, and greatly increased wind buffeting at all speeds. It was so bad my vision was "buzzing" at any speed above 45mps at low, medium and high heights.

Also I ride to work in the morning before it gets light, and my blinkers reflected off the side "bumps" to totally kill my night vision.

I switched to a national cycle Vstream touring and couldn't be happier.

FYI I am 6'2, and about 20min of my commute every day is at 60-70MPH

#15 ·
I also have one of those Puig windshield on my 15. The only thing I do not like about is I get some buffering on top of helmet at highway speeds. I am 5'9". I put a 1/4" spacer on the top two mounting screws to tilt the top of the windshield a little more upright. That seems to help on the buffering. I do not have any problem with the hand guards hitting the windshield, but I have 2" risers on my bars which are tilted back a little, but I do not think I would have had a problem anyway.

#16 ·
I put mine on, but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. The protection seems to change dramatically depending on the height at which I position it. I haven't figured out where I want to position it. Stay tuned!

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
The Puig touring screen came in today.
Install is a breeze, we're talking less than 10 minutes with one person. It looks good, not as big as the Givi but definitely bigger than the stock.

Onto the big question. Does it hit the hangaurds on the LT? YES! But only in the top position, and only tapping, we're talking a millimeter.

Installed

low position

Mid position

High position

#21 ·
You looking for a mattress? I have a Puig on my V1k, I'm 6-7, I get some wind at anything above 75-80. You won't find anything that will totally protect from wind in your face. If you want total protection, get a bigger bike with a bigger faring. Don't get me wrong, the 650 us a great bike, but it's small and wind will be an issue, period. I use my V1k to commute now or shorter rides. I ride my Concours on longer rides......it cuts through the wind, but it has a wider, taller screen and weighs 690 lbs.

#19 ·
Thanks for the quick honest evaluation! I have a California Scientific, and am not fully satisfied with it. I have put the stock windshield back on, and installed it above the top stop. It really works ok, try that and see if you like that.

#28 ·
I like mine better than stock, but that's not saying much. I have it set at the lowest point with the 1" lower gel seat and I can see over it just fine (I'm 5'6" with a 32 inch inseam - but I'm a woman with long legs and virtually no waist). It offered pretty good protection from some medium rain the other day, and that's what I was looking for in a windshield. I'm going to be leaving next weekend for a 3000 mile trip, so I'm sure anything that really annoys me will make itself known then!

Reactions: mbclark222
#31 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.