Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Decision to get a Versys 650 LT

6K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
As of Dec. 8th, 2016 I became the new owner of a 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT. The bike was used and had only 1700 miles on it.
I started looking for a bike about two months earlier. Already having a Yamaha XT225 dual sport and Yamaha V-Star 1300 tourer I was looking for something that would be in between those two and a mid-sized adventure bike seemed to fit the bill. (I really like the twisty back roads) Did lots of research on the web and read comparisons and reviews of bikes like the Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda NC700X, Honda CB500X and Kawasaki Versys 650LT. Was leaning towards the Honda CB500X, mainly because I would be able to flat foot it at stop lights. (5’ 7”, 160 lbs, 30in inseam) Then became worried that it may struggle to keep up out on the interstate. Went to a dealer to look at the Suzuki Vstrom 650, they didn’t allow test rides, it was the highest prices bike of the bunch and Honda CB500X even inched it out in one of the comparisons. Really liked the looks, reviews and price point (bang for the buck) of the Kawasaki Versys 650LT.
Found a Kawasaki dealer in Fresno, Ca. that allowed test rides. (That’s a whole other story) Only learned one thing form that very short test ride; that bike was a lot taller than I was used to. Tried to get an out-the door price from the dealer. The dealer told me that they didn’t give OTD pricing until a customer was ready to buy. Here is some advice; if you are wanting to purchase a Kawasaki don’t waste your time with the dealer in Fresno Ca.
The more I thought about it I figure I would get use to a taller bike and decided to pursue the Versys. Started calling dealers and getting OTD pricing for a 2016 orange LT. Best price I got was $9,250.00, thought that was fare and was ready to do the deal. Then looked on Craig’s List and a dealer in Mesa Az. Had a used 2016 LT with 1700 mile for $6400 OTD. Found a flight from Fresno Ca. to Mesa Az. for $70. Got an Uber from the airport to the dealer and by 3:00 PM on December 8th. the deal was done and I was on my way back the central California coast on my new used bike.
The trip from Mesa Az. to Morro Bay Ca. would be 640 mile. I was a bit concerned riding a new bike that far because of my bad back. The first day was form Mesa to Needles Ca. 200 miles, about 4 hours. By the time I got to Needles my legs were a bit fatigued but that was it. My arms, back, and seat all felt fine. Was most impressed with how the bike kept up on the interstate. 75 – 80 miles per hour no problem. The bike seemed very nimble and because of the high seating position I felt very comfortable in the congested traffic around Phoenix. Much more so than I would have on my curser. The next day was 400 miles to Morro Bay. Drove straight through, only stopped to get gas. Took about 7 hours of driving. The last 35 miles were on a very windy back road. Couldn’t believe how this bike handled the twistys. After 7 hours on the road I felt great. That amount of time in the saddle and no butt pain, now that’s impressive.
In the past four weeks I’ve put another 1200 miles on the bike on all types of roads; interstate, 2-lane, back roads, gravel roads, …etc. About the only thing I can say is I’d still like to be able to flat foot it while stopped. I’ve ordered the Sargent low seat to see if that will help. I just hope it’s as comfortable as the stock seat. After riding this bike for about four weeks and putting 1800+ miles on it I’m really considering getting rid of my V-star 1300 tourer.
I’ve got lots of future plans for my new used Versys:
  • Driving Lights
  • Lower Seat (Sargent)
  • Headlight Modulator (Kisan)
  • Louder Horn
  • Sequential LED Tail Light (MotoDynamics)
  • Dual Sport Tires (Shinko 705)
  • Crash Bar

Thanks much. Looking forward to spending more time on this forum. Maybe finding another Versys riding partner in this area.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome From Canada

:welcome:to the forum, your post reminds me of me, start out to explain something, two pages later, by this time even I don't understand, sort of cryptic. So I plan on going back and reading your post again while enjoying a coffee, minus 15'C outside today, lots of ice and snow, the green fast one is on the lift, patiently waiting to get more farkles added:grin2::thumb:

#3 ·
List Of Farkles

As of Dec. 8th, 2016 I became the new owner of a 2016 Kawasaki Versys 650LT. .
I’ve got lots of future plans for my new used Versys:
  • Driving Lights
  • Lower Seat (Sargent)
  • Headlight Modulator (Kisan)
  • Louder Horn
  • Sequential LED Tail Light (MotoDynamics)
  • Dual Sport Tires (Shinko 705)
  • Crash Bar

Thanks much. Looking forward to spending more time on this forum. Maybe finding another Versys riding partner in this area.
So your height is the same and also your inseam, weight, well I could lose another 30#.

This is what I have and I will list them in order of preference;
Speedy lowering link and flat foot for the stand and lowering kit for the stand, should also include his foot brake extender
Speedy lowering pegs
Speedy highway peg mounts
Denali split bomb horn, several versions of this under different names
Speedy mirror extenders, just added recently because of slight interference with my tank bag
Tank bag --once you have had one you wonder how you got by without one before
Power outlets
The above list is about 1/3 of what I have, the other 2/3 may or may not appeal to you in your area, such as Oxford heated grips and Barkbuster Storm hand guards

#4 ·
Congratulations. You lucked out finding a California bike out of state. It is hard to buy Japanese bikes New because they sure do depreciate a lot. Almost 30 percent with practically no miles.

The 3rd gen is starting to grow on me. Wish both headlight were illuminated when on low beam.

#5 ·
Congrats on the new bike. I get my 15 white LT tomorrow, in transit as we speak. At 5'8" I heard where you are coming from being slightly vertically challenged. I would recommend doing the Speedy lowering kit first before getting the Sargent low seat. You already said the stock seat worked fine. I would rather lower the suspension first and have a more cushy seat. Those that have the Sargent seat may say different.

#6 ·
Just curious why so many put the Speedy lowering pegs on. I could see this if you are long legged tall inseam but for us shorties is it really needed? Guess I won't know till I get some miles on my bike over the next few weeks. Suppose to be back into the 60's by next Monday here in Dallas.

#8 ·
:welcome: From SoCal....Are you in the military? The reason i ask its near impossible to get a bike registered from another state in Cali unless you are in the military or it has 7500 miles on it. I Brought my 09 V from Texas and had to ride it around for a few months to hit the 7500 but i still had my Texas Driver License also.

#9 ·
I bought a 2015 650LT a few months ago and it had already been lowered. I modified the seat and now it seems to be quite comfortable. I had been considering lowering the pegs but instead I added highway pegs for more movement options. The first long ride should tell me if that's all it needs.

#11 ·
No, not in military.
I did call the DMV and gave them all the details. They said it wouldn't be a problem because the bike has the California emissions. But now you are the 2nd person to mention the 7500 mile rule. Maybe the rule has changed or maybe I'm in for a big surprise. I guess we'll see when I get the title and head down to the DMV.

#12 ·
Well best of luck to you. California tries it best to keep people from buying cars and bikes out of state to bring back. Thats why bike prices here are always higher.

#13 ·
#14 ·
According to the 2016 user manual this bike is in compliance with the California Air Resources Board.

Emission Control Information
To protect the environment in which we all live, Kawasaki has incorporated
crankcase emission (1) and exhaust emission (2) control systems in compliance
with applicable regulations of the United States Environmental Protection Agency
and California Air Resources Board. Additionally, Kawasaki has incorporated
an evaporative emission control system (3) in compliance with applicable regulations
of the United States Environmental Protection Agency and California Air
Resources Board.

1. Crankcase Emission Control System
This system eliminates the release of crankcase vapors into the atmosphere.
Instead, the vapors are routed through an oil separator to the intake side of the
engine. While the engine is operating, the vapors are drawn into the combustion
chamber, where they are burned along with the fuel and air supplied by the fuel
injection system.
2. Exhaust Emission Control System
This system reduces the amount of pollutants discharged into the atmosphere
by the exhaust of this motorcycle. The fuel, ignition and exhaust systems of this
motorcycle have been carefully designed and constructed to ensure an efficient
engine with low exhaust pollutant levels. The exhaust system of this model motorcycle
includes a catalytic converter system.
3. Evaporative Emission Control System
The evaporative emission control system for this vehicle consists of low permeation
fuel hoses and fuel tank.
3. Evaporative Emission Control System (California)
Vapors caused by fuel evaporation in the fuel system are not vented into the
atmosphere. Instead, fuel vapors are routed into the running engine to be burned,
or stored in a canister when the engine is stopped.
High Altitude Performance Adjustment Information
High Altitude adjustment is not required.

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
Welcome.

Just my two cents.... There is always an unavoidable compromise with tires wrt off road traction versus on road feel and traction. There is no tire that will do it all well. If you ride much more on pavement I would suggest something like the 90/10 balance of the radial Tourance Next or Pirelli Scorpion, which are basically sport tour tires with a more aggressive tread, but will handle and feel better than bias ply, aggressive dual sport tires like the Shinkos on pavement, but ultimately have less grip on dirt but still much more than a sport tour tire. In my own case I prefer radial sport tour type tires as sporty street riding and touring is my main objective.

#24 ·
Good to know if i would have know that last July i would have bought my Versys 1000 out of state...:frown2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.