Versys of the future... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

8Likes
  • 4 Post By Durkbeef
  • 1 Post By uparmorjoe
  • 1 Post By dddd
  • 1 Post By dddd
  • 1 Post By Tomasama

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Versys of the future...

So now we have three Versys on the market, 250/300, the 650 and the V1000.

All designed for the same purpose(s) and offer slightly different options.

So now I'm wondering what the next step in KLE evolution will be.

Do we want to see the 650 and 1000 with bigger engines? Say 800cc and 1200 respective?

Or should Kawasaki stay on track/don't fix what isn't broken?

West coast is best coast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My motovlog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 07:18 PM

Let's wait and see...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 07:33 PM

Garage
Electronic cruise control standard on the 650 would be nice...

A bump to 800 would be great as well. gives just the extra power needed to be super highway comfortable even at 90mph.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 02:56 AM

It is easy to build the ultimate bike if price is not an issue, but..... the versys models are meant to provide certain functionality at a specific price point.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:00 AM

The spectrum from road to dirt to trails goes like this:

1-pile of road bikes, ninjas being the chain link to the versys'.
2-versys likes dirt, also can touch trails but not happy with it or its weight.
3-(empty slot: a.k.a non-obese adv bikes)
4-KLR takes the relay on dirt and trails, but is heavy and not road friendly
5-(emptied slot: a.k.a trail capable non-obese street legal, formerly klx250; see xt250/wr250r. drz400, ktm 350)
6-other pile of offroad bikes

I think if kawa could just make a KLR300 +EFI at 350 pounds or less, and 4 gal tank, that would be a killer for slot 3, or 5 (yeah, the 3-4-5 is blurry)

As for the slot 3, that to me is the future of the versys x.
The versys 300x is a stop gap measure. I expect a lot of weight removal next. Slot 2 is covered, no need for a weak heavy 300.
They need to fight the drz400 badly.

Last edited by dddd; 01-01-2017 at 08:04 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:20 AM

Garage
The motorcycle.com guys see the V300X as a little more off road capable, and I agree.

I rode the V650 on dirt roads and hard packed dirt, but I also rode my '77 Honda 550 four SS on the same terrain, as well as my '85 Honda Shadow 700. I've also ridden my Voyager 1700through the occasional chirt road in a wildlife management area.

I think the next step for the 650 would be an X version with wire wheels and 19 to 21 inch front. Also the higher exhaust that the 300x sports.

The 650 is able to do any speed the solo rider with gear wants to do within reason. My gas mileage suffered when going triple digits across Wyoming.

The I4 in the Versys 1000 makes it impractical for an X version.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I think the next step for the 650 would be an X version with wire wheels and 19 to 21 inch front. Also the higher exhaust that the 300x sports.
^^^This.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:26 AM

Garage
The next Versys should be: A newly engineered 800cc cross-plane triple, with much improved power:weight ratio than the current 800 (or maybe even 900?), that could be fitted with minimum changes into the current frame and minimum weight increase. Minimum suspension, face/lines and size changes. Keep ABS (it saved my own a@@ a few times already!). No TC (cost savings). Same wheels and mechanics. A more modern-looking, slab-like instrument panel (personal taste). Built in Thailand, of course. All to keep the price below $10,000...with panniers...for 2018.

The next KLR: leave it alone. It is perfect.
Tomasama likes this.

Ceasar

Don't plan, just ride

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uparmorjoe View Post
The next KLR: leave it alone. It is perfect.
I sure will leave this dinosaur alone, they have too much to improve (weight, suspension and EFI). Nobody in his right mind would prefer lifting 460 pounds off the ground 10 times a day on trails, over a 350 lbs one.

I'm saying they should get back in the 300+/-50cc light weight category by spinning a 2nd small KLR to beat the DRZ400. Not quite klx250 though, because road-worthyness and fuel range is the main ingredient to a ver-sys. The segment is pretty obvious: ride highway/touring for hours to get to the trails, have fun, come back. That's the versys purpose.
uparmorjoe likes this.

Last edited by dddd; 01-02-2017 at 07:02 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:38 PM

A versys in a 850-900cc range built as a true x-adventure bike. Leave the 650/1000 models as they are.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I sure will leave this dinosaur alone, they have too much to improve (weight, suspension and EFI). Nobody in his right mind would prefer lifting 460 pounds off the ground 10 times a day on trails, over a 350 lbs one....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:06 PM

Garage
While I agree they should keep the KLR with a thumper 650.. be nice to have that Versys X 650 like the X300. 19 inch front or 21 stock.

Dave
1983 Honda XL600R / M-6
2011 Versys / M-7
2015 Ducati Scrambler Urban Enduro / M-10

Last edited by WallCrawl; 01-03-2017 at 01:08 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You're not supposed to fall over so often... Stay home if you can't lift your bike without complaining.
who said anything about falling? I wrote to lift it off the ground, as in over logs, out of mud and such.
invader likes this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I sure will leave this dinosaur alone, they have too much to improve (weight, suspension and EFI). Nobody in his right mind would prefer lifting 460 pounds off the ground 10 times a day on trails, over a 350 lbs one.

I'm saying they should get back in the 300+/-50cc light weight category by spinning a 2nd small KLR to beat the DRZ400. Not quite klx250 though, because road-worthyness and fuel range is the main ingredient to a ver-sys. The segment is pretty obvious: ride highway/touring for hours to get to the trails, have fun, come back. That's the versys purpose.
The DRZ400S was an amazing motorcycle if you spent most of your time off-road. It needs a 6 speed so it can be geared for off-road, but comfortably do 70 all day long to get to the trails. A better seat and frame mounted fairing and it would be a great adventure bike.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
some good ideas here, I'm personally in uparmorjoe's camp for the engine. I'd happily pay more $$$$ for that.
I like the sportyness of the 650 but I want more muscle, something to give the Triumph Tiger and FJ09 tracer a run for its money.
As said a 19 inch front wheel would make it shine, so long as they keep the current styling as I'm not a big fan of the 300X looks.
uparmorjoe likes this.

West coast is best coast!

My motovlog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode