Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Caught on camera a fellow rider got hit by a car

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Lours_Polaire 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Thats why when i get on the bike my camera is always on....

#6 ·
How did the car hit him? He hit the back of the car when it suddenly stopped in front of him. Yes indeed it probably came to be the car's fault in the accident by making a left turn on a yield green and not seeing the bicycle coming into the crosswalk in front of him (which is probably where bicycles are not supposed to be depending on your city laws) and having to stop abruptly in front of your friend. But you guys didn't help the situation either. Even if it is legal where you are, splitting lanes and not riding defensively in city traffic is never a good idea. This was just a raw situation everyone played a hand in making happen.

#8 ·
I'm not sure how the legalities of that accident would all work out. The Car caused the accident, but didn't hit the bike. The bike hit the car, the car stopped because of another interference..round and round it goes. I would suppose the car would be at fault for partially blocking the travel lane, but what option the car had to avoid that once in motion is unknown.

#9 ·
Ok to make a couple things clear. The other rider is not my friend, I just happened to ride behind him. I don't know whose fault that was but i want to believe it was the car's fault (but i am biased like we all are here...), I will give the other guy that video file and he will decide what to do with it.
Regarding splitting lanes, i rarely do it.. but I live in NYC and the traffic here is very heavy. Most riders do lane split here.

Here is a link to what I have: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...00001843968.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.bEIfoP

I highly recommend to not mount anything to your helmet but rather to your bike's frame and wire it to your bike's switch. If you mount it to a helmet you will most likely forget to charge it from time to time and it will be uncomfortable to carry your helmet around or to chain it to a bike because the camera may get stolen. My camera works independently and records in loops. I often times forget it is even there and don't touch it for months (until something like tomorrow happens).

I mounted my camera the way no one can even see it, and it's protected from rain and other road debris (see pics).

** if you cant open the video, try a different browser.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
I have a top box to keep my helmet & camera in.If not the camera comes off easily just like the Scala G9 and both can be put in jacket pocket if need be...

My camera offers Car DVR Mode. Records in loops. Comes on automatically when i have it plugged into a 12V Outlet turns itself off at a set time when the key is turned off. Charges while in use....

I've had cameras mounted all over the bike I prefer the helmet that way the camera picks up what eyes see.

Been using a camera on the bike since 2010

Have over 600 videos on YouTube

Just my 2 cents....

#11 ·
Ok, whatever works for you... me personally, I ride short distances a lot (5-10 minute rides) and to wire the helmet camera each time sounds like a hassle. Often times my ride lasts 5 minutes, then I stop for groceries, then another 5 minutes i stop at the post office, then another 5 minutes i stop at the bank... in such scenario i don't think a "battery" camera would be the best match.
For long distances however, helmet camera would probably be a better choice.
Another concern, helmet manufactures don't recommend to mount anything to the helmet for safety reasons, also in some states helmet cameras are illegal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.