Dropped the Versys last weekend - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dropped the Versys last weekend

I've been riding almost a year without even putting a scratch on the bike until now. Rolled up to a stop sign and due to my inseam challenge I normally put the left foot down and keep the right foot on the rear brake. For whatever reason the bike started leaning right and by the time I got he right foot down, she was too far over and I lost it.

The H&B crash bars did their job and saved me a lot of headaches. Rear brake pedal and front brake lever got slightly bent, but otherwise, the only real damage was to my pride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-21 10.46.41.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	101458   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-21 10.46.32.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	101466   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-21 10.46.22.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	101474  

Mel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:00 PM

No worries! "Pride damage" happens to all riders.
Glad to see only minor scratches on your Versys.
Lours_Polaire likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:22 PM

I feel your pain; literally and figuratively. I did that a couple months ago on the left side. I too lean left, but was doing the last bit of down shifting at a stoplight, and then my left pant leg caught on the foot peg and I could not save it. I got thrown down hard and it sounds silly, but I think all my armor helped out. As it was I had a headache for about 5 days (mild concussion most would say) and that was with my helmet on. Shutter to think about what would have happened without ATGATT. Had to bend shift lever just a little and that was the only damage - well, and some damage to my pride.
3dog likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 02:16 PM

Garage
A can of Satin Black spray paint works well on the H/B crash bars.....I know from experience....
3dog likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
A can of Satin Black spray paint works well on the H/B crash bars.....I know from experience....
OR - a couple of inches of "electricians-tape"....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 06:03 PM

Get that Motowerks lowering link on your ride
onewizard and quexpress like this.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 07:56 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
dont feel to bad, we all end up on our side at one point or another

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 01:36 AM

Garage
I hear you! Luckily the damage was minimal. Those engine guards saved the day.

Ceasar

Don't plan, just ride

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:20 AM
jpd

Garage
Plus one for the lowering links. 5' 6" with a 30" inseam. The lowering links and dropping the forks in the triple tree lets me stop flat footed. I also got a ninja 650 kickstand off ebay. A quick swap of the kickstand and the bike has a safe lean while parked.

Glad no real damage to you or the bike

Jeff

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:39 AM

Yeah that sucks. It's a weird feeling reaching for the ground when the crown of the road makes the right side an inch or two lower. Good thing pride heals quickly...
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:50 AM

Just for clarification. You lower the bike with the lowering link for instance on a new 2016. Should you buy only a 2016 ninja 650 kickstand or can a 12-15 kickstand work? Is the spring also the same or do you also need to swap springs? Thx.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 12:39 PM

I bought a 2015 that was already lowered front and back. The kickstand had been cut off (not sure how much was removed) and stuck back together with a device that just used a bolt to tighten up and expand the device thus holding the two pieces together. Works great.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 01:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
Just for clarification. You lower the bike with the lowering link for instance on a new 2016. Should you buy only a 2016 ninja 650 kickstand or can a 12-15 kickstand work? Is the spring also the same or do you also need to swap springs? Thx.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/11...24893554023010

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's an update. The front brake lever was actually broken through the pivot point bolt hole. Looks like I'll need a replacement. I don't think Gorrilla Glue will help here. I had shorty lever lying around the garage to use temporarily. Does anyone know where to buy a factory lever?

Mel

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 05:05 PM

That's the device........works pretty good.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dog View Post
...Does anyone know where to buy a factory lever?
Yup - at your Kawi dealer...!
Lours_Polaire likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 02:05 PM

Bike bandit??
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 07:34 PM

Garage
Only 2 weeks into ownership, I was at a local park practicing low speed maneuvers and tight turns. I saw an opportunity to try a hill start on a paved section covered with loose gravel. Stopped successfully and went to put my left foot down. Left foot didn't get set - kept sliding -, and the bike went down and I was tossed off Only injury was to my RIGHT leg, which had a pretty nasty bruise. Oh and my ego. Bike has scraped engine cover and bent shift lever (which I just bent back into place). Sigh. Did not remember how to pick up was fortunate to the kindness of stranger who gave me just enough help.
onewizard likes this.

2012 Black n Gold purchased 8/31/2016
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 03:16 AM

yup...

I really want a 1K size DL or V but not owning/riding a bike in over 10yrs, I feel I will need the re-learning curve of a 650 as my re-starter bike. Hate to drop a 1000cc bike and have to try to pick it up alone somewhere. Or even just drop it all. Thinking a 650cc bike may help to maybe even prevent this happens at all.

THough the 650's Adv bikes I've sat on, sit pretty high. I dropped my 90's KLR 650 once years back. That was a tall bike too. At age 59, I doubt I've grown more since then.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieD2 View Post
I really want a 1K size DL or V but not owning/riding a bike in over 10yrs, I feel I will need the re-learning curve of a 650 as my re-starter bike. Hate to drop a 1000cc bike and have to try to pick it up alone somewhere. Or even just drop it all. Thinking a 650cc bike may help to maybe even prevent this happens at all.

THough the 650's Adv bikes I've sat on, sit pretty high. I dropped my 90's KLR 650 once years back. That was a tall bike too. At age 59, I doubt I've grown more since then.

Probably not any stronger either .

I switched to the V because I could not pick up the 1500 Vulcan Classic by myself. The last time I sat for almost an hour with the bike in the middle of a road til I found someone to give me a hand. He was older and in worse physical condition than I was but we managed.

Hopefully it will be a while before I test how hard it is to pick up the Versys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode