Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Riding Gear

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bwwoodard 
#1 ·
We always wear our helmets and boots and good gloves.

... but ride mostly in t-shirts during the hot months.

The weather was a lot cooler this weekend and we were riding in armored pants and armored jackets.

Some nice man rear-ended us at a stop light and we went down to the left, pinning my foot underneath.

The short story is that we're pretty sore, but zero road rash. Actually, not a single scratch.

Was able to ride the bike the one mile to the hotel and load it onto a trailer.

Everyone was friendly and helpful - the Police, ambulance crew, and the volunteers that picked the bike up off of us.
(not the Versys, rather a large cruiser)

Back home now, and feeling grateful.

#4 ·
Glad you're okay. But having mesh gear for summer is important as well. I wear Olympia mesh jacket and pants and both have zip in winter/waterproof liners. I can wear the mesh gear with the liners in the winter down to about 40 degrees comfortably. And in the summer, it's only hotter when your sitting, moving you get a nice breeze.

#5 ·
$1,750 in damage.

My insurance adjuster agrees with the dealer.

I sent the estimate to the other guys insurance. I don't know if they will (also) want to send out one of their people. We will see.

We got a few bruises and some soreness, but appear to be healing up nicely.

We have a couple of other motorcycles to ride, so the wait will not be an issue.

Fortunate, all the way around.

#6 ·
Glad that you are ok and recovering.

#7 · (Edited)
Good to hear you're ok.

I also ride with with helmet, gloves, boots and jacket ~98% of the time. I rarely may leave the jacket at home, and it "feels good" to do so, but I feel vulnerable "IF" I were to go down.

A friend was recently on a ride (one which I missed 'cause I was at my son's ball game) and encountrered 2 deer as he rounded a curve. In the instant he saw them and thought about preparing/reacting to avoid, they both jumped in front of him. He hit both broadside (in parallel) and killed both deer instantly. The impact ejected him and he tumbled/slid to a stop. All things considered, he came out good (as good as one can in this sort of thing)...a broken toe, a broken finger, a couple of compressed vertabrae, and SORE. He had no rash or concussion. This is also a testament all-the-gear-all-the-time (ATGATT).

Thanks for sharing and raising awareness. Sounds like you'll be back to normal soon.

PS- Getting back to the deer. I told my friend later that any other motorcycle might have only killed 1 of the deer. It was probably only because he was riding a "NINJA", that a "Ninja" was able to kill 2 deer with 1 hit. Or Chuck Norris of course....who is like 200% ninja. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.