Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

need some advice please

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  kuri77 
#1 ·
Trying to put on the lowering kit. Says use jack or mc lift so I used my Bulldog rear wheel lift. Undid shock bolt and since swing arm was resting on lift couldn't do what instructions said which was lift swing arm in order to push out shock bolt. So I tried what i thought was the opposite as in pull down on bike both of which were compressing the shock but bolt still
wouldn't come out. To add extra protection in case bike fell if shock came out of the mount i put a 2x4 under the rear rack. Figured bolt might have been rusted in since it's an 09 so used a rod smaller than bolt to hammer it out from left side. At the end bolt shot out like a bullet and now shock is further into the mount so the holes don't line up. If I remove the 2x4 any danger that bike will collapse if the shock comes out of mounting slot? In order to put the lowering block in, the shock has to come out of that slot so i can bolt in the lowering block. Any ideas how to remove the shock from slot?

#4 ·
I put my Vs onto rear stands, then put a jack under the muffler, and jacked JUST ENOUGH to unload the shock. I ALSO had straps loosely between the handlebars and an overhead attachment point just in case....

This on a Gen 1, but the same on other Gens.

#5 ·
On my 2015 650, I passed a pipe through a hole that crosses the frame side to side. It is located just under the top shock mount. I was then easy to support, lift and/or lower the center portion of my Versys with the ceiling hoist. This let me control the weight on the swingarm.
You might have the same possibility with your Gen 2. Good luck!

Attachments

#6 ·
Go To Motowerk site

If you go to his site, a scissor jack and piece of plywood, doesn't get any easier, did that on the 2015, 2007 used overhead lift and straps, way more trouble and not as fast.

#7 ·
I think I win the lazy man award for this one. I actually used a basketball. I put the bike on front and back stands then I jammed the ball between the seat and rear tire before I started dis-assembling the shock. It held the seat up while installing the lowering block just fine. I had to move the ball back a little to lower the shock for the bolt holes to line up but it was easy. I'm not a fan of the recessed bolt hole socket on the lowering block though. Would rather be able to grab both sides with a box wrench.

#9 ·
Got pulled away from it but got back on today and with all the helpful advice managed to get it done thanks to all. For others who intend to do this I would take the advice of others who have gone before-don't lower the front to match until you try it. I went for a 75 mile ride today and it worked fine, can even take my hands off the bars for 10 seconds without any shimmying or veering off. Highly recommend this mod. Feet are flat and knees bent now which is way more comfortable for me. Wouldn't buy the shortened kickstand either unless it came free. It does stand up a little more than before but unless there's a hurricane it'll never blow over. Mine came with it so might as well use it though I'm in no hurry to install it. The lowering kit itself is a piece of art, fits to a tee and had no problems with it except as stated due to my own imperfect attempt at installation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.