Seat Concepts Low Seat for V650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Seat Concepts Low Seat for V650

I've read a lot of reviews of the standard seat from SC, but would like a consensus on the low version. Those who have sampled it, how does the height compared w/ the factory seat? I've read where their "standard" seat is significantly higher than the stock, but nothing regarding the lower version. Also, I know its main objective is to get rid of the dreaded slope, but in lowering by removing padding, what happens to the comfort? I'd also like weights, inseams & builds of reviewers to get an idea if there's a body type more suited to this seat. I'm a skinny 5'-9" w/ a 32" inseam and have lowered the back 1 1/2" via the Speedy link & raised the fork tubes exactly an inch. I would likely request a softer pad due to my weight & wonder if any others have gone that route & how it works.

Thanks,
Jim

...I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days...and nights for that matter...and it is one of my finest addictions...
--- Hunter S. Thompson 1995 ---

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS, 2012 Triumph Thruxton, 2003 Ducati M800Sie, 2001 BMW R1100R-L, 1999 Kawasaki KLR650, 1996 Harley XLH Sportster S, 1972 Yamaha XS-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 10:58 AM

+1
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
+1
You're saying the "low" version of the SC is 1" higher than the factory seat?

...I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days...and nights for that matter...and it is one of my finest addictions...

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS, 2012 Triumph Thruxton, 2003 Ducati M800Sie, 2001 BMW R1100R-L, 1999 Kawasaki KLR650, 1996 Harley XLH Sportster S, 1972 Yamaha XS-2

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 12:31 PM

Garage
Pretty sure he's saying he also would like to see a review of the low version.
trialsguy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
+1 is a way of saying "me too - I'm also interested in the answers to all of the questions above".

Alternatively - If I gave it a "likes" vote, that would not convey the same meaning as a "+1", in my mind.

My spare seat is a standard Seat Concepts seat. It sits higher, and it puts my helmet further into the turbulence zone that is coming off of the top of my windscreen. Not good, so I continue to use my Corbin, at this point.
DieMonkeys likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
That thought had crossed my mind - makes more sense and makes me a goober for misunderstanding. Thanks for the clarification.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 05:03 PM

I have a 'low gel' seat I acquired used, I believe it's Seat Concepts or could be other brand. I'm 5'10", 165#, 32" inseam. I found the lower seat changes the ergos a lot, the difference in the seat height is about 1.5" and the difference at the 53-year-old knees is uncomfortable. I did only one ride ~50 miles and swapped the OEM back on. Might be willing to trade the seat for a set of DRZ forks for my wanna-be JDRocks rat bike.

With the OEM seat, I can flat-foot both sides with riding boots on and with Rawkstar's seat riser.

The gel seat was slightly better in terms of ass pain, and admittedly I haven't tried it with the riser block yet (which would restore some of the height back).

I have a set of Motowerk peg lowering blocks to install for more improvement - I'm almost enough with 2" Rox risers to comfortably stand on the pegs without hunching over. The lowered pegs should be perfect.

If you wants pics, let me know.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

I suspect if it's a gel seat, it's likely a factory optional seat. It would be hard to tell by the base in that the Seat Concepts uses a factory pan. If it's not too much trouble - a photo would help determine if it is in fact a Seats Concept.

In any event, thanks for responding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Joe View Post
I have a 'low gel' seat I acquired used, I believe it's Seat Concepts or could be other brand. I'm 5'10", 165#, 32" inseam. I found the lower seat changes the ergos a lot, the difference in the seat height is about 1.5" and the difference at the 53-year-old knees is uncomfortable. I did only one ride ~50 miles and swapped the OEM back on. Might be willing to trade the seat for a set of DRZ forks for my wanna-be JDRocks rat bike.

With the OEM seat, I can flat-foot both sides with riding boots on and with Rawkstar's seat riser.

The gel seat was slightly better in terms of ass pain, and admittedly I haven't tried it with the riser block yet (which would restore some of the height back).

I have a set of Motowerk peg lowering blocks to install for more improvement - I'm almost enough with 2" Rox risers to comfortably stand on the pegs without hunching over. The lowered pegs should be perfect.

If you wants pics, let me know.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 01:28 AM

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Has anyone else tried the "Low Seat Concepts Seat" on their V?

I'm thinking that installing foot peg lower-ers would solve the "reduced distance from seat to foot peg - sore knee issue".
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 08:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Has anyone else tried the "Low Seat Concepts Seat" on their V?

I'm thinking that installing foot peg lower-ers would solve the "reduced distance from seat to foot peg - sore knee issue".
My bike came with one, I think it's ok but I also have a Sergeant seat and I like that better. I'll probably list the Seat Concepts Low Seat in the classified forum eventually. I don't find much of a height difference between the two.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
My bike came with one, I think it's ok but I also have a Sergeant seat and I like that better. I'll probably list the Seat Concepts Low Seat in the classified forum eventually. I don't find much of a height difference between the two.
Didn't like that Seat Concepts "low" seat?

How are you liking that bike?

I went back to a 2014 (Gen II) model.

No, I don't like the Seat Concepts "low" version, either. Better than factory, though.
1st 2014 model..... with Seat Concepts standard seat and lowering knuckle, etc.

Second 2014 model with Seat Concepts standard seat and lowering knuckle, etc.

No matter where you go - there you are.

Last edited by kballowe; 10-12-2016 at 09:35 AM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 01:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
Didn't like that Seat Concepts "low" seat?

How are you liking that bike?

I went back to a 2014 (Gen II) model.

No, I don't like the Seat Concepts "low" version, either. Better than factory, though.
1st 2014 model..... with Seat Concepts standard seat and lowering knuckle, etc.

Second 2014 model with Seat Concepts standard seat and lowering knuckle, etc.
I'm enjoying it, thanks. Took it on an 1100 mile trip recently, I had a great time. I will post pics on the Member Rides forum eventually.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 03:00 PM

So here's the pics of the low seat I have:
1) low seat main, just a pic for identification. Came off an 08, and I don't know if the embroidery is OEM or not.
2) low seat underside - if you zoom in there are no extra holes where it would indicate re-upholstery, so might be OEM
3) 2010 OEM and low seat, can't really see the thickness of the seats in comparison, but can see the profile difference
4) OEM measured - sitting roughly level, the grid of tapes shows the height about where my butt sits at 7"
5) low measured, about 5 1/4", but note the profile is very different
6) is just a close-up of the grid

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	low seat - main.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	99802   Click image for larger version

Name:	low seat - underside.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	99810   Click image for larger version

Name:	side by side.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	99818   Click image for larger version

Name:	OEM measured.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	99826   Click image for larger version

Name:	low measured.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	99834  

Click image for larger version

Name:	measure grid.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	99842   Click image for larger version

Name:	low seat bottom.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	99850   Click image for larger version

Name:	profile comparison.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	99858  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Invader. That thread gave me just about all I wanted to know. I appreciate your pointing me in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Cripe Joe - you don't mess around. I'd say you went above & beyond the call of duty - thank you. I'm not positive, but pretty sure that seat is the factory item. I'll pour over your photos & see if those seats, if they're still available, would be good for me. Again, thanks for your time & effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Joe View Post
So here's the pics of the low seat I have:
1) low seat main, just a pic for identification. Came off an 08, and I don't know if the embroidery is OEM or not.
2) low seat underside - if you zoom in there are no extra holes where it would indicate re-upholstery, so might be OEM
3) 2010 OEM and low seat, can't really see the thickness of the seats in comparison, but can see the profile difference
4) OEM measured - sitting roughly level, the grid of tapes shows the height about where my butt sits at 7"
5) low measured, about 5 1/4", but note the profile is very different
6) is just a close-up of the grid

Good luck.

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

The seat w/ the white "VERSYS" on it IS the factory 'low' seat. It was available on the Gen 1s, for sure.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:44 AM

I did spring for the low seat kit from Seat Concepts. If your only aim is to get a lower seat height, it does that, but for me it is not much different in the seating position than the stock. Ass is closer to the ground, but the forward slope still seems to be there. It does put the knees in a more painful position for me after about a 100 mile ride, and because the foam is a bit thinner, I don't think it is going to be that comfortable on an all day ride.

I am going to try raising the front of the seat as mentioned with longer bolts and spacers to see if that helps. Thinking I may just go back to the stock if that doesn't help and maybe reshape the foam on the stock a bit.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbardell View Post
I did spring for the low seat kit from Seat Concepts. If your only aim is to get a lower seat height, it does that, but for me it is not much different in the seating position than the stock. Ass is closer to the ground, but the forward slope still seems to be there. It does put the knees in a more painful position for me after about a 100 mile ride, and because the foam is a bit thinner, I don't think it is going to be that comfortable on an all day ride.

I am going to try raising the front of the seat as mentioned with longer bolts and spacers to see if that helps. Thinking I may just go back to the stock if that doesn't help and maybe reshape the foam on the stock a bit.

I added two layers of carpet pad foam to the front 6-8" of the seat (about 1" sculpted to blend with the seat) and then raised the nose by about 3/4". That in addition to removing about 1 1/2" of foam from the butt area and inserting a 3/4" gel pad makes a pretty comfy seat. I also made some custom highway pegs and the bike is pretty comfy on a 200 mile ride. Haven't done any rides longer just yet.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Seat Concepts/ DIY

I am going to comment on this as I tried out the standard foam seat on a 07, felt it was comfy, no consideration about height was given, if you are height challenged only one way to fix that if you already set your sag front and rear, you need to lower it.
I debated getting this, however with the exchange of our dollar and the extra shipping costs I decided to try my hand at moding it myself, as we have what is called the Foam Store in the city I live in.What I found was purely accidental in moding the seat, I used a small level on the seat, once the fabric was off, it became obvious why so much discomfort, raising the seat cannot correct for the right to left hill located at the front.So to be perfectly blunt, no seat kit is going to give you a lower to the ground than the original seat pan. I did a follow up to my seat mod also my original post with pictures. So if you are comfortable in paying $200 plus for a new covering, go for it. If you plan on doing the seat concepts yourself, my advice is to look in the How To thread, FYI, you are going to need a air stapler and compressed air. My Arrow stapler was on sale for $25, purchased primarily for doing my attic insulation venting install. That Arrow stapler will fire 1/2 staples flush into hardwood, FYI you will need to buy about 110 of the 1/4 stainless staples. If I count the 1000 staples I purchased and the foam, it came to $30, the spray adhesive was a additional $9, of which I used about 1/10 of the can, or about $1 worth.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...tions-diy.html

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 03-03-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode