Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Many much confusion over OEM oil filters...

22K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  BreckRider 
#1 ·
It was time to change the Black Pearl (2016 650 LT)'s oil at 575 miles. For once the Gods of Motorcycle Parts were gonna smile in my favor, since I have a case of OEM part number 16097-0008s for my ZX14 on hand, and based on a little research, hey! presto I have a lifetime supply of filters for both bikes since the number is the same.

However, I decided to temp the Gods, and ordered a couple of filters from an eBay seller, and got OEM Kawasaki 16097-0004s from eBay.

The sellers ad claims that oil filter WR-304s, 16097-0004s, 16097-0008s, and 16097-1064s and these 16097-0004s are all the same thing. and cross reference to each other. (URL: Oil Filter Kawasaki Genuine WR 304 16097 0004 16097 0008 16097 1063 16097 1064 | eBay)

When I got to the oil-splashed filter off (don't ask, yes, it was messy, and yes I made a horrible mess) I removed a filter that showed part number 16097-0552 from The Pearl's engine.

I looked at the 0004s I got from the seller, and it looked the same externally, and spun right on like it was made for the Pearl.

However, I'm now confused at all the numbers:
Are all these numbers truly the same thing? I'm just a lowly shade tree mechanic and am wondering if Ye Olde Woole is being pulled over my eyes or if I should worry about more important stuff like global cooling?

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't answer your (GOOD) question, but I've always bought filters for my two Gen 1s, and my Gen 3, at Walmart, to go w/ the Mobil1 15w-50 oil I buy there, TOO, in 5 qt. containers!

BTW - OVER 120,000 miles among the three Vs....

#3 ·
#4 · (Edited)
PC Racing not compatible

Hey Joe, went to their site, no listing for the 2015, another site on Ebay came up with not compatible. I get my filters from the dealer for $12, prices I have seen for the stainless one are around $116 USD plus shipping, that is about 12 oil changes for me. Possibly you could shed some light on this. Motorcycle Super store stops at 2012 Versys, sku is 180131 as you have in your picture, not sure why no listings for newer models.What concerns me is one site listed the 2015 650 ABS but it came up not compatible when searching PC Flo .

#10 · (Edited)
If you still have it, check to see if it states where it was manufactured. I've seen a few references indicating that 16097-0552 appears if it was manufactured in or imported from Thailand, and it seems to be cross-referenced to the 16097-0008 and/or 16097-0004.

Edit: D'oh! Looks like Invader beat me to it.

#8 ·
I just use Fram filters, yeah I've heard all the supposed horror stories and I've torn filters apart. Fram is as good as any of the filters made and I've used them in all kinds of equipment most of my life and I'm no youngster.

I just bought oil for my 2015's first change and got Mobil 1 20-50 full synthetic motorcycle oil. I could have bought the oil and filter to change my wife's EDGE or two oil changes on the Vulcan for what those two quarts cost me (CArQuest). I think the next time it will be Rotella synthetic from Wal Mart.

#18 ·
I just bought oil for my 2015's first change and got Mobil 1 20-50 full synthetic motorcycle oil. I could have bought the oil and filter to change my wife's EDGE or two oil changes on the Vulcan for what those two quarts cost me (CArQuest). I think the next time it will be Rotella synthetic from Wal Mart.
30K+ miles here on only Rotella, and my V runs great. I get 2 oil changes out of a big jug, and if I buy it at the right time the jug costs less then $20 for synthetic.

#12 ·
#13 ·
From doing some research when I had to do my first oil change, it looks like Kawasaki recently changed part numbers on their filters. The stock filter I took off my '16 650 was the 16097-0552, which is the new part number. So maybe what you got was the older part number. But I ended up using a Mobil 1 M1-108 along with Mobil 1 4T oil.

#16 ·
I am getting ready to do my first oil change on my 2015 v650 and have the 16047-0008 filter (bought as a pair from Amazon for $24 delivered to the house with Amazon Prime).

I am planning to buy an end-cap oil filter wrench. What size fits these? Any help appreciated.

#22 · (Edited)
Be mindful of some of the aftermarket filters (i.e. automobile filters).
Many have changed the design in the last year or so.

Pay attention when installing the filter to ensure that you get enough turns to seal the gasket, and not (first) hit a "hard stop"

Many of the end caps are now a convex design, when they used to be a concave design. This may cause them to bottom out on the oil filter boss before properly engaging the sealing gasket. Translation: leak !

Of course, this might not be a problem on YOUR Versys. We have seven motorcycles sitting here. 3 of them will seep or even drip if using one of these newer design filters. The other 4 don't care.

Here's the new Purolator design. THIS especially depressed me, because I've been using these for 20+years

Here are a couple others.... New ! Improved ! Purolator Pure One on left - original design on right.

Some more (self explanatory)

#23 ·
I would like to add.......

Most any oil filter of the appropriate size (make sure it fits in the space provided) will work.
If it screws on and doesn't leak, then it's probably fine.

I always look for something in the 10-14 PSI pressure relief valve category. Many of the NAPA filters fit that spec (as do others)
After that, it's all good.

Oil filters aren't rocket science. It they were, we would be hearing about a lot of ruined engines. Personally, I can't think of any instances where the wrong oil filter caused a problem. Or the wrong oil, for that matter (except in extreme cases wrong viscosity).

#25 ·
With respect to Rotella, be careful, as there are at least two "blue" synthetic jugs of T6 Rotella available. One (0w-40) is not JASO-MA certified, while the other (5w-40) is JASO-MA certified. I've seen both side by side at our local Canadian Tire, and it's easy to get them mixed up. Check the certifications on the back before you purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.