Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Gear Indicator & 12V Outlet

24K views 53 replies 23 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
Just went and picked up the items i ordered a few weeks ago from the dealer. Will install this afternoon.

P1010510 by weljo2001, on Flickr

See less See more
#8 ·
Really happy with the gear indicator. A slight lag but very slight. About the same as my FJR was and the GlPro indicator i had on the 09 V......

#4 ·
Nope, But i put a GlPro gear indicator on my 09 V-650. It was plug n play also

#5 ·
Took it apart. Pretty straight forward. Looks to be a success only had 2 push pins left over. I'll post a photo of the finished product after lunch....

P1010512 by weljo2001, on Flickr

#26 ·
Sorry to revive an old thread. You don't happen to remember where the wire you plug the gear indicator goes to? I'm trying to fit one but the plug isn't behind the expansion tank like in the instructions. It would be useful to know where it originates from to try and locate it.
Thanks.

#6 ·
#10 ·
Yep i did like it a lot. But the dealer had given me a $100.00 worth of gift cards so i just bought the OEM. Some one did a video installing an OEM 12V outlet like the one i purchased and some one posted on the video that the Versys and Vulcan used the same part or were comparable and the Vulcan outlet was about 50 bucks cheaper. Sucks i found out 2 days after i ordered mine.:frown2::frown2:

#11 ·
The install on a V-650 is less hassle. You don't have to take the front of the bike apart to install. But the 650 does require an accessory relay to be installed that the 1000 doesn't....

#13 · (Edited)
#23 ·
FYI, the genuine Kawasaki Gear Indicator for the late years (2015>) Vulcan bikes will work perfectly in a 2016 Versys 1000. After some pic comparisons, I ordered a Vulcan GI off eBay for $95 + $10 shipping. Except for the longer harness length, the GI and the connector are exact matches. Works perfectly!

As mentioned earlier, the much cheaper Vulcan DC Outlet is an exact match to the Versys part, except package numbers. I guess Kawasaki thinks us Versys riders have more money to spend than a Vulcan Cruiser owner.

Rmpl

Reactions: Turk
#28 ·
#43 ·
I've had a reply from Kawasaki and it isn't good news:

"The information that you have provided refers to a 2017 model year Kawasaki Versys 1000 which has the gear indicator feature on the meter assembly (dash).

Therefore this accessory is not suitable for your machine. "

I probably should have done a but of research first! I may as well fit a second 12v socket now! At least it saves me a job of removing the fairing's though, every cloud and all.

#47 ·
I bought my 2015 650LT new and put in the gear indicator almost right away. Very spendy, but worth every penny. It is nice to not have to try to upshift on the freeway, when you are already in 6th gear!
I did not install the OEM 12 v plug though. Seems like the the hand gaurds would bust whatever you have plugged in the first time you turn sharp right. I did install one inside the fairing to the left on the rail that is very accessible.

#49 ·
I did not install the OEM 12 v plug though. Seems like the the hand gaurds would bust whatever you have plugged in the first time you turn sharp right. I did install one inside the fairing to the left on the rail that is very accessible.
This is correct. I had the same problem and chewed up the first charger cord turning the handlebars to the right with an OEM receptacle. I then found some 12V plugs that fit almost flush to the dash. This solved my chewed cord problem. I will note that I bought two plugs and one fit so tightly, I had to take pliers to get enough grip to extract the thing. The other fits as designed. So buyer beware.

Attachments

#51 ·
Hola, can I use power outlet from Vulcan S on my Versys 650 2018 model?
From pictures I can see that they are almost same, only for vulcan S there is extra part which I can remove.
Also for vulcan power outler are 50% cheaper than for Versys 650.

#52 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.