Chain Cleaning - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

8Likes
  • 1 Post By bcalan
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By Oldandslow
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By unstable_rider
  • 1 Post By HondaGalToo
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By quexpress

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Chain Cleaning

Too hot to finish up with the maintenance on the bike yesterday so left the chain cleaning for today. I use Goop Hand Cleaner (without pumice) to clean the chain or anywhere theres grease on the bike. Hosed of with water then spray with WD-40 to dissipate any water that my be left then use the can of the good stuff you can't get any longer Dupont Chain Lube (Blue Can) took the front sprocket cover and cleaned it with the Goop and the straight end of the grunge brush. I hate the chain wax they use at the dealership. Then put the Motion-Pro Chain Alignment Tool on it to make sure the chain is straight. Lined up perfect & didn't need to adjust the chain slack so all is good.

Chain Cleaning by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 01:02 PM

You've got it all THAT clean and it still starts and runs???
weljo2001 likes this.

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcalan View Post

Hmmmmm I haven't tried to start it yep...
turn8a likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcalan View Post
Wait....What?!? You're supposed to CLEAN the chain?!? :P

I don't think mine looked that clean when it was brand new!!
weljo2001 likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandslow View Post
Wait....What?!? You're supposed to CLEAN the chain?!? :P

I don't think mine looked that clean when it was brand new!!

Coming off a shaft drive bike its a pain dealing with the chain but if you gotta do it at least put some effort into it. So far everything on this bike has been super simple to work on. Kawi put some thought into making things easy to deal with.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 08:59 PM

Yep. First bike was belt drive. Then shaft. Then 64k miles with a chain on the Bandit 1200. Was NOT as thorough as you are (not even close) and shortened the lives of the chains.

But then I commuted rain or shine (often rain) in Seattle and Nor Cal, so cleaning it got tedious.

Trying to be better with the V
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandslow View Post
Yep. First bike was belt drive. Then shaft. Then 64k miles with a chain on the Bandit 1200. Was NOT as thorough as you are (not even close) and shortened the lives of the chains.

But then I commuted rain or shine (often rain) in Seattle and Nor Cal, so cleaning it got tedious.

Trying to be better with the V

Its pays off. The stock chain on my V650 was still on the bike when i sold it with 22,000 miles on it and still looked damn near new. The guy that bought it off of me said he mechanic just couldn't believe it was the stock chain as good as it looked.
unstable_rider likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 08:01 AM

Garage
Nice job.

That bike is dang lucky to have you (as it's momma...)
weljo2001 likes this.

Momma was a Ninja, pappy was a KLR, now it's me Versys the world.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Coming off a shaft drive bike its a pain dealing with the chain but if you gotta do it at least put some effort into it. So far everything on this bike has been super simple to work on. Kawi put some thought into making things easy to deal with.
How often do you clean & wax the chain?
I also come off a shaft drive bike and tend to find chain maintenance tedious to say the least.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
I also come off a shaft drive bike and tend to find chain maintenance tedious to say the least.
The general recommendation is every 500 miles, or after riding in the rain.

Weljo, that is a nice clean chain!!
weljo2001 likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 10:13 AM

Time for me depends on conditions...
I commute on a KLR650 so I clean the chain about every 400 (doesn't see dirt roads on commute)
V1K - I'm doing this one at 500 mile intervals (1600 miles so far)

I use kerosene for cleaning and "insert your favorite" chain lube...

I can clean and lube a chain in 15 minutes if I rush. I do it during down time in the shop...and enjoy it.
Maybe someday I'll get a lift.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post

I lube it every 5 hundred miles or so and clean it when needed.

I never use chain wax. Its seems to attract grit and grime more. I always use the Dupont Multi-Purpose which is the blue can in the photo. They no longer have that but they do have Dupont Chain Saver in a yellow can that i will use once the blue can is empty. I've seen it in Wal-Mart and have bought it at Lowes & Home Depot.
quexpress likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I lube it every 5 hundred miles or so and clean it when needed.

I never use chain wax. Its seems to attract grit and grime more. I always use the Dupont Multi-Purpose which is the blue can in the photo. They no longer have that but they do have Dupont Chain Saver in a yellow can that i will use once the blue can is empty. I've seen it in Wal-Mart and have bought it at Lowes & Home Depot.
Thank you!
weljo2001 likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode