Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Theft control

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  twowheeladdict 
#1 ·
What are people doing to avoid theft when they park their bikes? Chains? Attack dogs? IEDs?

#2 ·
Well, for starters, ours are in our garage. But when we are gone for more than a day I put a padlock through the front brake rotor of the Versys and then I chain the rear wheels of all 3 bikes together with a very heavy chain and lock. If you are keeping yours outdoors I would suggest one of those yellow locks that goes on the front brake rotor (possibly one that has motion detector built in) and chain and lock the rear wheel (or the frame if there is a way) to something solid like the support pole of your carport, etc. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Serx
This post has been deleted
#3 ·
On my 09 Versys i installed an Scorpio I-900 Alarm on it. Last 2 bikes nothing. Nobody really wants to steal a Versys anyways..:grin2::grin2:

IMG_0113 by weljo2001, on Flickr

#9 ·
I'll save you the trouble of searching YouTube - if you attempt to ride off with the disc lock in place your front wheel will make a partial rotation then the lock will jam against the back of the fork, halting forward motion.

The more people watching, the more likely the bike will go down.

Don't ask me how I know, because I'd certainly never let that happen! And definitely not TWICE! :surprise:

But the coiled orange cord that outdoorgb suggests, clipped to the lock and looped around the throttle, makes it pretty hard to forget.

Even for me ;)

Oh...and I use the disc lock plus a 6' steel cable/padlock when the bike has to be parked in any sketchy place. A determined thief can defeat those, but more likely they'll move on to an easier target.

#14 ·
Has anyone been that desperate to steal a Versys? Lets think about why bikes get stolen.
1. Parts. - not much demand for OEM Versys parts
2. Stunting. - again, never saw a Versys in gangs of stunters.
3. Jealousy. - maybe, if the owner was loudly sharing stories of his adventures in the hotel bar.
4. Prank. - moving the bike to the other side of the hotel. Those could happen if there's a honky tonk near the hotel. Of course this just looks stolen.

How bikes get stolen:
1. Picked up and put in a van or on a trailer. Better to have a real heavy bike or chain to something solid.
2. Hot wired. Professional Thief. Versys, not likely.
3. Rolled away by some punk who may trash the bike trying to steal it.

I lock the steering when stopping at a store or restaurant. At hotels, I add a cable lock only to the 250 klx, and lock it to something solid.

#16 · (Edited)
It depends on the area. I've never had any bike messed with up north. Unless one rides a Harley, they probably haven't either.
When I lived in Tejas, I lived in a pretty seedy area and bike was never messed with. Moved to a nicer apartment and my '84 Honda was nicked within about a week.
It was found in the barrio in the middle of the street with its gas cap popped, empty. Guess they ran the crap out of it until they could no longer afford gas for it. Nice of them to put it somewhere the cops could find and impound it.
As that was my only transport back in the day, I became fast friends with the bus drivers.
They took mine by placing a flat head screwdriver in the ignition and whacking it with a hammer. Pretty sure that was all it took to both disable the steering lock and start the bike. Once they got the steering unlocked, several of them thru it in a pickup.
The apartment security guy actually went to the wrong apartment to tell me he ran them off...the first time.

#17 ·
In my area in IL the only bikes that get stolen are Harleys, so they can part them out. And I think the best thing would be a front disk lock to at least slow them down. If someone is determined to steal it, they will no matter the deterrents. Except maybe using a big chain and chaining it to something. Just make sure your insurance covers theft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.