Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Motorcycle you used to have (pictorial)

10K views 54 replies 33 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
Show us what you was riding prior to the Versys that is in your herd now.

Or just a bike from your past will do.

I had a poor-man's beamer for 34,000 miles (pig with lipstick)
and loved it. Sold it to another forum member (ADV).

It went through several transformations in "fitment" and appearance, but other than being straight-stock black, this was an early rendition, of course somewhat tongue in cheek in regard to suggesting any hint of German lineage (other than SW MOTECH parts).

It took me on many adventures.... :surprise:

I saw the Great lakes....

Explored forest roads....

And I rode with other conservative, like-minded KLR chums...

How about YOU?

:stickpoke:

See less See more
#6 ·
Starter bike was a used, pre-scuffed '86 Suzuki Savage 650, to which I promptly added new scuffs ;) Before the age of ubiquitous digital cameras, so no pics

Graduated to the oddball '90 Suzuki VX800, probably the result of Saki-fest one night at the Suzuki factory where an Intruder 800 watercooled V-twin got stuffed into a GS frame (see pic)

Then about 11 years and 64K miles on an '02 Bandit 1200 (see pic) which was still running strong when I left California and sold it to a friend.

A year later I finally got settled in my new location (KC) and bought the new/leftover '14 Versys 650 ABS in green - my first non-Suzuki. Compared to the Bandit I really like the light weight and better handling, but I do miss that seamless inline-4 horsepower and torque....

Attachments

#9 ·
Well, back in the early 70's I started with a Honda 90, then a Yamaha 250 and then a Bultaco 250. I remember with the taco I had to wrap newspaper around my leg because there was no heat shield on the exhaust. Then I lost my senses for 40 years and came back on The Red Rebel (pictured). Rode that for 9 months then decided I wanted a little more and got the V650. I still have the Rebel. My wife has a Yamaha V250 and she is afraid of speed, corners and traffic. So we usually ride together on Sunday mornings and I ride the Rebel because it is still fun to toss around and I don't ride away from her as easily.

Attachments

Reactions: pkovo
#11 ·
Well my first bike was an 06 Yamaha Vstar 650, I had it for 6 months probably until I went out and got a 09 Vstar 950T. That one lasted me a bit over a year until I decided to go into a ditch. >:)

Attachments

#12 ·
Great stuff you guys!

Hey Barry (BKB)--

You went from a Vstrom to a Versys??

I would like to hear more about that transformation-- I know it was the result of an accident- but what did you not like about the Vstrom that the Versys had to offer?

A Vstrom is on my "list" of bikes to own someday...... you going to shatter my illusions about wanting to own one?

I used to work in a Suzuki-Yamaha shop, and put together those Vstrom "adventures" all the time, around 2012 or so, the one's that came with panniers and engine guards, etc.
Sweet bikes--- I of course had to TEST RIDE THEM after I put them together.....(often with snow on the ground yet) :surprise: but only a couple miles riding experience here and there- but loved them.

Seemed like the perfect bike.... but I bought a cheap 2008 Versys from a neighboring HONDA dealer for $2,100 to keep my Pacific Coast company.

Sold the 20 year old PC-800 this spring to a Honda collector,
it was a sweet bike (800cc, shaft drive, liq. cooled) and actually snappier than a Versys in some areas of the power-band.

The Pacific Coast used to be my "Sunday" bike, and I rode it also when my Versys was being "re-constructed" over 9 long months (of Minnesota winter).

The PC-800 just as 'misunderstood' as a Versys, no one was quite sure what it was for.

It was the bike that never asked for anything, well- other than a steering stem bearing. :nerd:

#40 ·
Great stuff you guys!

Hey Barry (BKB)--

You went from a Vstrom to a Versys??

I would like to hear more about that transformation-- I know it was the result of an accident- but what did you not like about the Vstrom that the Versys had to offer?

A Vstrom is on my "list" of bikes to own someday...... you going to shatter my illusions about wanting to own one?...snip
Sorry guy... I know it's been about 8 months, but I just noticed this post.

To answer your question, I actually loved the V-Strom. The thing was a bulletproof rock (unless you're stopped at a light, and rear-ended by a texting dumbass doing 45, who never touched the brakes).
I took the Strom everywhere -- from the Dragon, up through every pass in the N Ga mountains... on the long slabs... nowhere it wouldn't happily go.

If I had to pick a few nits, these would be the issues with the Strom:
- Long wheelbase. Front tire was a 19-incher, and it was out there. I never felt it hobbled agility, but not as flickable as the Versys.
- *Very* exposed oil filter. Always worried me a bit w/ it's placement. A kicked up rock could have taken it out, and being stuck on some fire trail in the middle of nowhere was not out of the question. So, a skid plate is a must.
- A bit more top-heavy than the Versys. I don't know why that be the case, since the ergos are almost identical, but it 'felt' that way.

On the upside:
- If you needed some obscure farkle for the Strom, you could find it. There are so many aftermarket accessories, if that's your thing, it's paradise.
- The headlights BOTH go on for low and high beams (unlike this dumbass arrangement Kawasaki is obsessed with). However, the new Stroms now have vertically placed headlights.
- Great mileage (not unlike the Versys).
- *Really* easy to maintain and service.
- Reliable beyond words.
- Very nice fit and finish
- Good looking bike, if pride of ownership is your thing (I always liked the color choices better than the other Big 3 Japanese companies).
- Handling is sooo intuitive.
- Better instrument panel than the Versys, and you can change modes with the left index finger without releasing the grip.
- I put Sargents on most of my bikes, and there's lots of room under the Strom Sargent... none under the Versys equivalent.

Unfortunately, that teen hit me hard enough to actually tear chunks out of the rim... The Strom ended up 50 feet from where I landed...

#13 ·
My pride and joy for 13 years, last picture I took before I sold and moved. 2000 ZRX1100, I still cry about that break up. My other ZRX was the ELR paint scheme. I'll post pics of it later, none on my work computer. The other is my 1st Gen 08' V650, sold it to trade up to a 12' N1K, it's gone too :crying: No digital pics of early bikes 88' GSXR750, 78' Honda XL100, 74' Husky 450.

Attachments

#16 ·
I've held onto this one for about 25 years and have no plans of parting with it.

My dad bought it new in '79. Took my first ride on it as a passenger at age 4. He tried to trade it in on an early 90's Nightwak 750. They only wanted to give him a few hundred for it. Disgusted, he turned to me and asked if I wanted it. I was like "Hell Yeah!"

#19 ·
So far seems like there is somewhat of a common pathway to becoming a Versys rider. Started riding in the 70's or early 80's, rode a dirtbike or some form of standard or sport standard, got on a Versys and feel real young again like started riding all over. This observation has been brought out before but to me worth repeating. Anyway really digging all these bikes, classics. Picture is my other ZRX. I had it setup pretty radical. Holeshot full system, hot cams, stage 2 jet kit, airbox delete and 5 deg. advancer plate. Keep em' coming!!

Attachments

#20 ·
Previous bike was a 2002 KLR650C8. Loved the bike, but stopped riding off-road and wanted more power. So, it was either get a 685 or 705 kit, or trade it in. Since I'm not mechanically inclined, I went with the Versys.

Still miss that bike, though.

#22 ·
I went from dirt as a child to Katanas in the 90's. Once out of the corps I got a good job and got my other bikes.

First was the 900CR.

Then I added the monster in 05

In 2011 after the monster was destroyed by an idiot that blew the red light REAL BAD and after I threw away the 900 at a trackday I got the 8.

A month ago after a 3 day 1400 mile trip I got home and told my wife that anything over 200 on the 8 is brutal. I was eating advil like candy trying to get my back to quit hurting on the trip. So I sat down and started research. Test rode a few and liked the 650LT the best.

#24 · (Edited)
I really like the orange Versys (Calscrazy). Interesting to hear about those other bikes you had as well.

(Uparmorjoe) I had always heard good things about the Yahama FZ-07. It's enlightening to hear that like other riders that came from other bikes, that you found the Versys more comfortable.

EDIT:

Dug up some oldy moldy KLR pics. The KLR just fun to mess with, easy to service and make better.
But it doesn't quite cruise like a Versys.

After having both bikes down to the frame at one time or another, I think (somewhat in jest) that if the Versys was stripped of fuel injection and black boxes and the extra harnesses, it could weigh the same as a KLR.

Anyway, some old "KILLER" pics of mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.