650 Versys Seat Concepts "LOW" version - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By kballowe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

650 Versys Seat Concepts "LOW" version

Bought the recently available Seat Concepts "LOW" cover/foam for my 2015 Versys 650.

They offered a $25 installation fee, and I spent another $17 shipping the factory seat to them.

[IMG]ttp://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg165/kballowe/Versys650%20SC%20Low%20Seat%20-%204_zpsbalrm9k2.jpg[/IMG]

They shipped the seat in a nice, new box and it was packed very well. The workmanship on the cover/foam installation is top-notch.
Seat height for this "low" version is comparable to the factory seat. Without having a factory seat here to compare it against, I would say that it's a slight fuzz lower than the factory seat. Maybe.

I had the "regular" Seat Concepts cover/foam on a 2014 650 Versys. The "regular" cover/foam raised the seat position by more than an inch, but it was very comfortable. In fact, I took it on an 1,800 mile ride and got zero butt-burn.

This new "low" version sits much better than the factory seat, but I don't believe it will be as comfortable as the original Seat Concepts seat. Initially, it feels like there is less of a flat area, and that I'm slightly sliding forward.

I'll put some miles on it and come back and give a more thorough review.

Sorry - that's all I have - for now.

No matter where you go - there you are.

Last edited by kballowe; 06-21-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

OK, 100 miles now.

It's more comfortable than the factory seat, but not by a lot.

I'm in the process of ordering an AirHawk seat cushion.

This version of the Seat Concepts is not going to do it - at least not for me.

I don't know exactly what else is available, but I don't really recommend the low version.
unstable_rider and MLJ like this.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 12:56 AM

Garage
Does the lower Seat Concepts version dish-down more than the other one you had experience with-- I think I have seen or read that this is the case.

For me, and perhaps others-- it's not only that the stock seat sucks, but part of it is the sliding down-hill + forward into the tank thing. I think on the taller/thicker Seat Concepts version, it's flatter across the part that you straddle, certainly offering more cushion and LESS forward slide down into the crook of the seat, but like you explained, it's an inch or so taller.

I did Fast Eddie's seat mod, where-as you raise the front mounting point with washers, spacers and some DIY, and that works very well, plus you get to choose your own "adjustment" that way and can go up or down to try to dial in a bit. I still run with that mod and it is a big help. I found a series of little aluminum spacers to slide onto my bolts where I can experiment with how much "lift" I have up there in front.

Still though, I hate my stock seat shape and foam and have tried building it up in front by shoving other materials under my sheepskin cover to try to fill in that "dish".

I am more convinced now by your writings, to go for the Seat Concepts tall, if it's a flatter trajectory of sorts. The height of the bike does not bother me so much as the crappy seat.

EXCELLENT TOPIC.

Momma was a Ninja, pappy was a KLR, now it's me Versys the world.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 09:30 PM
MLJ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
OK, 100 miles now.

I don't know exactly what else is available, but I don't really recommend the low version.
Hi kballowe,

I was wondering if you had any further thoughts now on this seat, or do you still feel it's not for you? I am considering it, because everyone seems to like the Seat Concepts seats, and it lowers by an inch according to the manufacturer.
Does it really lower your position at all, and if so, am I correct that you feel it does it at the expense of comfort?
I am 5-9' 140 lbs, are you bigger or smaller? I am okay with the seat height of the stock seat, I been riding so long on bikes that are technically too tall, I'm used to touching on the balls of my feet, not an issue. So, maybe the standard height Seat concepts is the way to go. Is that your opinion now too?

I hope you are okay with me asking all these questions. Would you say the seat is better than stock now, or was it a waste of money for you? Any other recommendations for a seat replacement? I would like a lower, firmer and cooler seat that doesn't scrunch my junk.
Thanks if you can answer my questions.
MLJ

MLJ - 2015 Versys 650 LT
There are more important things than things.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
Does the lower Seat Concepts version dish-down more than the other one you had experience with-- I think I have seen or read that this is the case.
I have one for the V1k and it's very much like the shape of a bowl. The one posted here looks much flatter.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJ View Post
Hi kballowe,

Does it really lower your position at all, and if so, am I correct that you feel it does it at the expense of comfort?
I am 5-9' 140 lbs, are you bigger or smaller? I am okay with the seat height of the stock seat, I been riding so long on bikes that are technically too tall, I'm used to touching on the balls of my feet, not an issue. So, maybe the standard height Seat concepts is the way to go. Is that your opinion now too?

Would you say the seat is better than stock now, or was it a waste of money for you? Any other recommendations for a seat replacement? I would like a lower, firmer and cooler seat
MLJ
It's certainly better than the factory seat, and maybe puts you a fuzz lower. Maybe. I compare it to my previous Version with the standard Seat Concepts seat and this "low" version has some forward angle to it....... not as comfortable.

I don't have experience with any other seats for the Versys.

I'm 5'9", 220, with a 29" inseam. Half way between tip toes and flat-footed (with heavy soled boots).

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 08:36 PM

I found a Kawasaki 'gel low' seat for sale here locally on CL, picked it up for $50 (score). First ride of 100 miles, I would make the following subjective observations:

1) Low seat reduces the distance between arse and pegs, not just arse and ground - I personally found this uncomfortable (5'9", 170#, 31" inseam) as my knees felt crampy in short order.
2) The gel seat was more of a bowl, and I found myself unable to move around much, even to simply take the weight off one cheek.
3) The seat was slightly less painful than stock, however I swapped back and did 175 miles the next day and found I could move around a lot more and was able to ride about the same time before the burn set in.

For clarity - this is NOT a Seat Concepts lowered seat, this comment is about the seating position of a lowered seat.

I was mostly looking for a pan I could send off to one of the providers so well reviewed in this forum, so not unhappy. I was also considering a lowered seat but now wouldn't - I don't know that they can get enough padding under your butt.

Someone else said in another post to 'break in your butt', and that alone may have contributed to the absence of severe pain on the second day's journey. Lots to learn here. Thanks for the input and excellent post.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 10:10 PM
MLJ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
OK, 100 miles now.

Hi,
I was looking at the Seat Concepts web site and noticed they say the low version like you got uses the stock rear seat foam. Did they not provide you with a new piece for the rear? It would suck if that was the case. The way they sculpted the rear pillion on the regular seat looks like it would help the passenger stay put.
I think the low version of this is sounding less like a good thing while the normal height looks better, just IMHO.

Edit: I just realized you sent your seat to them, so you wouldn't have seen what foam they used. Sorry.

MLJ - 2015 Versys 650 LT
There are more important things than things.

Last edited by MLJ; 06-27-2016 at 10:16 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
...I did Fast Eddie's seat mod, where-as you raise the front mounting point with washers, spacers and some DIY, and that works very well, plus you get to choose your own "adjustment" that way and can go up or down to try to dial in a bit. I still run with that mod and it is a big help. I found a series of little aluminum spacers to slide onto my bolts where I can experiment with how much "lift" I have up there in front....
FWIW - returned from a 19 day ride, Wednesday, 8,730kms (5,425 miles), some of those days VERY long....

Butt felt GREAT through out the ride.

(Ride report will be started today....)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode