What brand SS brake lines to go with. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By HondaGalToo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

What brand SS brake lines to go with.

Now that I feel better I am back on the farkle path. I just did my LED driving lights, I'll put a photo or so on later today. BUT next up are SS brake lines.

I am looking online and they all claim to be the best. I found Spiegler front and rear for $157.50 I have heard of these and seen them so that seem like a good deal. Then Twisted Throttle sells Galfer for around $200.00 for the set (their sites acting up right now and I can't get the full price. Now I find Core brand ( never heard of them) $133.20 for the set.

Now I'm mainly worried about safety here and the difference in price isn't that great so I'd rather get the best I can.

I also want to change the the old pads out is there something better than stock for all a round use or should I buy a set from Kawasaki. For the record I'm not "Boy Racer" and just "Putt" a long most of the time ...but I will get to feeling "frisky" at times. And again I can stand paying a bit more for a better all a round pad after all it's my butt on the line.

Anyone have any thoughts on this please Let me know. I don't want to have to spend a ton of cash trying to find the best for the money. OR spend days reading every test and manufacturers site.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 01:23 PM

Garage
I got my Galfer SS Brake Lines off of ebay for the Versys.......kawasaki versys 650 brake lines | eBay

For Brake Pads i went with the Vesrah Sintered .......catalog

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 04:14 PM

I'm looking at a Galfer set on eBay right now for 104.00

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 05:59 PM

Lifetime warranty from Gaffer is questionable. The outer layer was defective on mine and I have received promises via email but still waiting. They do however off an improvement on front wheel braking. Not sure if there is any point to do the rear though.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 03:08 AM

Garage
I got Venhill on my ZRX1200. I like that they are adjustable at the fittings. Never got around to fitting any on my V

Last edited by MaverickAus; 06-13-2016 at 03:10 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:21 AM

I've always used Galfer or Goodrich with good results. I have one of those brands on the Versys, I forget which one, LOL, I think Galfer. I put on Vesrah RJL pads. Those two changes improved the braking.
I found the Vesrah RJL pads on Street and Competition. They didn't list them directly, but I believe they are the ones that fit the Suzuki SV650. Look for the 99- model (I think, check others if Versys isn't listed), click, and it lists all the other bikes the pads are compatible with, you'll find the Versys listed. If it's not the 99-whatever year, check the next year range up. It's been awhile since I bought them.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 01:27 PM

Garage
I am happy with my Cores but they said that they can't do the ABS unless I bring it to them when I aquired about a 2015 Versys. But they are great on the 13' Versys.

Core moto USA Performance Brake lines | Coremoto.com
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:33 AM

what kinds of changes can one expect by changing brake lines and brake pads from factory standard? I'm a basic rider, some local streets, some highway commuting, some mountain roads, some basic adventure. So, not racing or burning up the brakes.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:46 AM

Changing to stainless brake lines on the front will make the brakes a little firmer. On the rear it is pretty much a waste of time. Changing from the O.E.M. HH Tokiko pads usually makes the brakes worse.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
what kinds of changes can one expect by changing brake lines and brake pads from factory standard? I'm a basic rider, some local streets, some highway commuting, some mountain roads, some basic adventure. So, not racing or burning up the brakes.
I wouldn't bother.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

I was told to replace brake line every four years due to them breaking down. I have seen older bikes that were not looked after and the lines were a mess, almost twice the size of a new set. Brakes are one of those things you really don't want to fail on you...might leave a mark if they do....on YOU!

Give that a set of factory lines go for close to $150.00 why not up grade?

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 06-16-2016 at 09:24 PM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
I wouldn't bother.
The brakes on my 09 were horrible. SS Brake lines and new pads made a big differance

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
The brakes on my 09 were horrible. SS Brake lines and new pads made a big differance
^^^^^ This. The brakes on my '13 were no better. Lines and pads made a great improvement.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:10 PM

Garage
Front brakes on my 12 were fine, rear not so much. Given OP stated usage is why I said don't bother. I didn't know he wanted to replace them because of other issues.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 10:40 AM

Garage
Just a consideration- but if you are doing the front lines it would be the time to "consider" running a pair of SS brake lines that are the same length, without the goofy cross-over line thingy. Essentially, you would be running a pair of (new) lines that are the same length, each it's own dedicated run, instead of the route that Kawi went. There is some discussion that a pair the same length may be more efficient. As I was changing my front tire size, moving my front fender, etc., and painting my bike, I opted to fill the holes in the fender and start over. I have dedicated runs of the same length.

I can't complain about the braking performance as a result, and appreciate the 'simplicity' of the dual-same length lines, eliminating the goofy crossover line.

I got mine through "HEL" and they made them a few inches longer than stock at my request for no additional charge.

Just me!

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 02:53 PM

Wondering if anyone used a locally made SS lines. Or what is your opinion on that. Few shops around here replied to my email and are able to cut custom lines. Pricing seems to be better too.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 03:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecko View Post
Wondering if anyone used a locally made SS lines. Or what is your opinion on that. Few shops around here replied to my email and are able to cut custom lines. Pricing seems to be better too.
If i had someone local to do it. I would go for it...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 03:10 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecko View Post
I wouldn't hesitate.
Note: Some riders on GS Resources have fabricated their own custom SS brake line system.

Homemade Stainless Brake Lines Video

How to Assemble Speed Flex Hose

Good luck!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode