Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

What Side Racks for 2015 650?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ReadyFreddy 
#1 ·
I've been doing research on what sidee rack system to set up on my 2015 650 I just bought and needed some recommendations. I installed a SW-Motech Steel Top Rack already so I'm kind of leaning toward their side rack system but I see you can only get it in the version that comes apart. I would like something a little stronger since I'm going to use Pelican boxes. Happy Trails doesn't make anything yet for 15 on up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#4 ·
I've had that same set up on two different bikes and it worked very well. It does help to remove the Pelicans and pack them before mounting to the bike. It's hard to keep stuff inside when you open the lid. Items I needed throughout the day were kept in a top case or seat bag. This way I didn't disturb the contents until I was through riding for the day and ready to set up camp.

Mike

#5 ·
Did you have issues with installation? The bolts for mounting to the grab handle are about 5mm too short to engage threads. I have their steel rear rack so I have to use the 25mm and 15mm spacers but the 30mm and 40mm bolts are too short. I'll have to pick up some longer bolts tomorrow.

#6 ·
I bought the rack from Revzilla and talked to their customer service about the short bolts. They said their supplier hadn't gotten back to them on the issue so Revzila game me $35 on my account for the inconvenience. I went to the hardware store and got the right size bolts. Just a plug for Revzilla...great customer service.

#8 ·
If you're into the boxy metal ones then the Jessies, or Pelicans. But if you'd like something that actually looks good on your bike the Shad SH36 with he 3P system are the bomb.

Reactions: quexpress
#10 ·
I just received and installed the Caribou Commando Bags and they are very nice. After some modification to fit to the SW-Motech EVO Rack (had to add 3/8" spacers) they go on and come off easily and lock up when attached. I will take some pictures today to post. I had the Pelican Boxes on my KLR for a trip last year and after encountering very heavy winds in Newfoundland I decided to try the soft stuff. I did install a Pelican 1500 on the rear to keep my tools and other stuff locked up all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.