Phone Mount help - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Phone Mount help

Okay so I've looked all over this forum and I can't find the info I'm searching for. I currently have an IPhone 6S Plus in an otterbox defender series case. Does anyone have this setup or similar and have advice on a mount that will securely hold my phone? I've seen some out there but I'm worried my phone will fall out. I want to use it for gps and to see if my wife is trying to get ahold of me. Any advice on a secure mount that can hold my huge phone would be great and pictures would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advanced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 09:26 AM

Dude I went through so much crap to find one that would fit my 6+ in a case. I finally wound up with this thing, which is FANTASTIC and can't say enough good stuff about it. Holds tight even on rough roads and very high speeds, and because it's got two balls, it's extremely configurable.

Amazon link
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 09:54 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
this is what i have and my huge tomtom fits in it without issue...

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 10:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
Dude I went through so much crap to find one that would fit my 6+ in a case. I finally wound up with this thing, which is FANTASTIC and can't say enough good stuff about it. Holds tight even on rough roads and very high speeds, and because it's got two balls, it's extremely configurable.

Amazon link
I have the same one, I picked it up at a local cycle gear shop so I could test fit before buying.

Mel

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

Amazon link
Sweet I'm glad you found something! Did you also get the extra rubber band thingy that goes on the corners?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 10:34 AM

Garage
+1 on the Ram X-grip. I went with the EZ-ON/OFF bicycle mount because it is low profile, and strapped it to the handlebar clamp cover.
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-274-1-UN7U
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0602.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	91306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0603.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	91314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	91322  
Joey Rocket Films likes this.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
this is what i have and my huge tomtom fits in it without issue...
Is your tom tom 5" or 7" screen? I really like the USB port on that mount and the price is great too lol.
silviefox likes this.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMRA View Post
+1 on the Ram X-grip. I went with the EZ-ON/OFF bicycle mount because it is low profile, and strapped it to the handlebar clamp cover.
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-274-1-UN7U
It says the maximum width is 3.25" I need at least 3.5" for my huge phone :/

Last edited by Brlee; 05-27-2016 at 10:49 AM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 11:44 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brlee View Post
Is your tom tom 5" or 7" screen? I really like the USB port on that mount and the price is great too lol.
5" but it fits with room to spare , i have one on my versys and one on my husbands shadow and a buddy of mine had two on his quads and ya the built in usb is great and the price was a huge plus as well.... i dont see a point in paying 5X for a name

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brlee View Post
5" but it fits with room to spare , i have one on my versys and one on my husbands shadow and a buddy of mine had two on his quads and ya the built in usb is great and the price was a huge plus as well.... i dont see a point in paying 5X for a name
Agreed... I ordered one. Now to wait impatiently for its arrival... Lol
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 02:28 PM

Garage
Exclamation Get a tether too!!!

Quote:

Amazon link
I have the smaller version for my Galaxy s5 and it has popped out a few times. They sell a tether (essentially an over engineered rubber band) that holds all four corners of the phone secure. I got one for $10 on amazon and it is made by Ram. I have hit a pot hole on the interstate and had my phone dangling by the charging cable. $10 is cheap phone insurance.

http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mount-Teth...EK15C8ZZ5NA5AD

Last edited by Heavyhiking; 05-27-2016 at 02:30 PM. Reason: add link
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 04:42 PM

I have the same case and a similar sized phone. I use a RAM X Grip mount. It holds the phone very securely in the landscape position and is very easy to position the phone in or remove. The same mount also works great in the car with a suction cup adapter. RAM mounts are modular so you can purchase and add pieces as you need them for a particular installation.

RAM Mount components are available everywhere from Amazon to Twisted Throttle. RAM Mounts X-GRIP Spring Loaded Universal Holder W/ 1" BALL - TwistedThrottle.ca
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 04:48 PM

Phone Mount help

I personally don't know why so many people like the X grip. It just seems to me like the phone could easily fall out. I like the following ram phone mount because it supports the phone on all four sides and will easily accommodate a protective covering on the phone if you want to use one. It is fully adjustable horizontally and vertically.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1464385711.289721.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	91338

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 06:16 AM

I had the tether from one of my previous attempts, I do not use it. This thing grips TIGHT. In case anyone hasn't noticed, what I linked is the PHABLET size X-grip versus the normal PHONE size x-grip, which puts something like a 6+/Nexus6/etc well within the strongest grip range, versus at the very weakest point in the smaller grip. I rode rutted out wet dirt the other day with the phone in this grip and it didn't move at ALL, done about a thousand miles of slab with it as well and a few hundred twisty, and no movement at all.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 03:07 PM

I have a RamAqua box for my iPhone 6, no chance of the phone falling out and it's water proof
http://www.ram-mount.co.uk/aqua-box-...akjo0nfmgo16k0
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post
I personally don't know why so many people like the X grip. It just seems to me like the phone could easily fall out. I like the following ram phone mount because it supports the phone on all four sides and will easily accommodate a protective covering on the phone if you want to use one. It is fully adjustable horizontally and vertically.Attachment 91338

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Can I ask what phone you have in it and if you have a case on your phone while using this mount? pics of the set up? Thanks!

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 12:16 AM

I have a iPhone 5S with an Otter case. It came with a belt clip that holds the phone securely. I just put a piece of metal across between the windshield uprights and I "clip" the phone there. Works well so far but I haven't taken any long rides yet.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:56 AM

Garage
I found this mount interesting, but have no experience with it. I like the ideal of totally enclosed protection and foam inside to protect from vibration damage and cheap to boot. Anybody try one these? https://www.amazon.com/RISEPRO-Water...l+phone+holder
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 03:38 PM

Garage
I have a 7/8" cross bar I added to my bike, so it makes it easier to mount my phone, but I got lucky with my Samsung S6... it fits in this "Bicycle" phone mount from Schwinn.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-U...&wl13=&veh=sem

It is in most Walmarts, so you can test the fit.
Holds my phone with its outer case very firmly, has never popped out or loosened up in the past two years.
Only $14... pleases the cheap bastard in me.

If'n I do it, I gunna git a wippin .... OK! I do it!!!

2015 Versys 650 ABS, 1984 Yamaha FJ600, 1983 KZ750, 1977 CB750a
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:03 PM

I bought the adaptivtechnologies one for my versys and drz. A little pricey but I like them

The All New AdaptivMount™

Vibration is bad. It tends to rattle things out of place and wear things down. Vibration is especially bad when it breaks things that are not designed to withstand it, such as your GPS, cell phone, MP3 player, camera, radar detector or that other expensive gizmo that you have mounted on your bike.
This is why we created the AdaptivMount™. The AdaptivMount™ is specifically designed to minimize the vibration transferred from your bike to your gadget with the patent-pending AdaptiSorb™ Anti-Vibration Technology.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0290 (1).JPG
Views:	89
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	111346  

Last edited by turn8a; 01-01-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode