KLR vs VERSYS - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
General Kawasaki Versys Discussions For discussions on anything and everything related to the Kawasaki Versys.

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 353 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 06:26 AM

Question to OCEAN.
What have you done to your V,to make it an Adventure type motorcycle, because that is what I am trying to do.
I wouldn't take my V off specifically to do off-road or a serious trail. However I go off on trips of up to 2 months and I want to be able to ride DRY dirt and rock trails and gravel/forestry roads when I come across them, that's why I bought the V. I don't expect to be able to bomb along like on my dirt-bike, but I do want to ride them even if it is slowly and carefully.
The previous comment about experience of dirt-riding is the key. If you can ride dirt you will feel a load more comfortable with the V off-tarmac.
Ted99uk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 353 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 06:54 AM

Pelletier - You Sir are a Gentleman and a Scholar. I have, on occasion had a 'vigorous discussion' with fellows much less intelligent, rational and even tempered and found myself in the middle of a flame war. +salutes+

If and when I hit North America, I'll certainly come and find you, just on the strength of your reply to me in this thread. To be honest, I expected you to come back at me with some whiny derisive crap. Its nice to be pleasantly surprised. With any luck, when I do turn up, I'll be aback my own V and you can show me some spectacularly beautiful places to break my collarbone in a few places.

Ted99uk - ('scuse me if I hijack your question a bit) A shame you're in the UK and I'm way over here in the the forgotten colony on the other side of the globe, (Australia).
I want a welding project. I've just completed some TIG welding training and I'm looking for a project. I want to make an almost full length sump/exhaust guard for the Versys.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/...daac665f_o.jpg

Thats my bullbar for my current Subie wagon. All CNC plasma cut bits, drafted and then fabricated by moi. The welds are untidy because I built it over two weekends in a hurry. Given that the rest of the vehicle is rusting in half, I wasn't overly concerned with nice cosmetic welds.

I hope I find a local V owner who wants to let me have a good old fashioned measure up so I can design the aforementioned guard. As far as I can see, a dedicated, designed for purpose guard is probably a key piece of kit for letting you take your V places well off the beaten track. I'll certainly be posting here if and when I find someone amenable and I will keep you in the loop mate. Have fun in the meantime.
post #43 of 353 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad-versys View Post
Pelletier - You Sir are a Gentleman and a Scholar. I have, on occasion had a 'vigorous discussion' with fellows much less intelligent, rational and even tempered and found myself in the middle of a flame war. +salutes+

If and when I hit North America, I'll certainly come and find you, just on the strength of your reply to me in this thread. To be honest, I expected you to come back at me with some whiny derisive crap. Its nice to be pleasantly surprised. With any luck, when I do turn up, I'll be aback my own V and you can show me some spectacularly beautiful places to break my collarbone in a few places.
Thank you for your comments. I look forward to it, although I think we'll try to avoid any broken bones if it's all the same to you.

Cheers,
Dave

2008 Versys, 2008 ZX6R, 2006 EX500, 2002 KLR650
2010 KTM 300XCW, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2006 KTM 200 XC,
2004 CRF250X, 2002 CRF150

post #44 of 353 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:42 AM

You people bought the Versys thinking it was a dual sport? LOL I see it as more of a SuperMotard than a dual sport. Pssss it has 17 inch wheels all around with sticky road tires. Hint Hint........

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Clean your shields with this stuff!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 353 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 12:36 AM
thy

oh comeon guys!
its not the bike but the rider !!!
u can go offroad with versys more than gs1200.
trail
No Video
Dust
No Video
corners
No Video
No Video

Last edited by thy; 07-29-2009 at 12:40 AM.
post #46 of 353 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:13 AM

Ted99. I would never call my V set up an adventure bike, but I feel comfortable off-road and use the bike 30% on dirt. In my case, dirt means graded and gravel roads, and dirt trails. I have a mountain cabin with miles of dirt around me, so I take advantage of it.

The best mods I've made for dirt are Rox anti-vibe risers, SW Motech engine guard and Pirelli MT60 tires (huge improvement). I've made a lot of other mods, but they don't do anything to help off-road. I still want to add a skid plate and a radiator screen, but so far have not needed them.

Good luck.
post #47 of 353 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 12:03 PM

Ad versys

You are correct the Versys is not an off road bike, it is however a very good adventure touring bike. With good tires, it does very well on gravel roads, and moderate two track roads.

I have had two klr's, a 2003 and a 2008. While they are better in rougher conditions than the V, they are no dirt bike either. They are heavy, and in muddy conditions, you will find your self doing more tank slappers than you want. The same goes for deep sand and gravel. The klr is a heavy bike and it takes a lot of muscle to take it into really tough conditions.

The group I ride with all ride klr's, and we stay on good gravel, and avoid mud as much as possible. I generally ride toward the back of the pack on my V, and I can tell you, watching them ,they have as much trouble in deep gravel and mud as I do. The suspension on the klr is better on the rough roads though, the V is a little too stiff to be really comfortable on wash boards and such.

We have had to turn around a few times when the roads got too slick from the mud, and the klr riders were just as glad as me to get out of it.

The klr is a great bike, it does just about anything you can ask of it. The thing that made me switch is the power, after riding the V, I just can't go back to that underpowered single. I occasionally switch rides with my friend who has an 08 klr, and it handles great, but the lack of power at higher speeds is a deal breaker for me.

Any way enjoy your klr, they run forever, one of the guys I ride with has over 70,000 on his and only had a couple of things done to the engine to keep it running.

Regards August

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike

Last edited by august; 07-29-2009 at 12:09 PM.
post #48 of 353 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 12:06 PM

August, What kind of tires are you running on the V?
post #49 of 353 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 12:23 PM

Gatorman

I was running distanzia on the front and back, but now I am using the distanzia on the front, and the tourance on the back.

I really liked the distanzia on the back as far as performance, but the mileage was a little less than I wanted, although not all that bad. I had about 4500 on the rear when I changed it.

The distanzia on the front is lasting a long time, so I will stick with it to keep the stock size. The tourance on the rear is not the stock size, it is the 150/70 which is about 3/4 inch taller, and a little narrower. It performs great on the gravel, and does great on the pavement.

If a person doesn't care so much about mileage, I can heartily recommend the distanzia's for gravel and pavement both.

I have noticed no ill effects from changing sizes on the rear, so I will keep using the distanzia/tourance combo if the tourance mileage goes as I hope it will.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Whizzer motorbike
post #50 of 353 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 PM

August:

Last question. Have you swapped out the stock pegs on the Versys? I want to get some aftermarket dirt pegs like those designed for the KLR, but can't find any that I can verify will fit. I finally broke down and ordered some KLR pegs from Ebay ($22) and some DRZ pegs from www.d2moto.com ($18) to try them, but let me know what you've done.

Thanks, G
post #51 of 353 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 07:20 PM

Gatorman.

I am using the stock pegs. I am using peg lowering brackets by Speedy.

So far, I haven't found a reason to change the pegs. I get along ok with the stockers.

I guess if someone came up with a good swap and a good reason for doing so, I might look into it, but so far I am comfortable with what I have.

August

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Whizzer motorbike
post #52 of 353 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 08:00 PM

I think a lot has to be said that it's the rider, not the bike. No, the Versys is not an off-road bike. However, any bike can be taken off road to some extend, and for sure the Versys is better than most street bikes when the pavement comes to an end. Did you guys catch Jessie James trying to ride in some dirt on his new show, "Jessie James is a Douche Bag"? Boosted my ego quite a bit, I've tackled similar stuff and I know for sure I'd have cleaned up in that HS, but I remember when I looked and felt just like Jesse on my first trials riding dirt bikes (by cleaned up I mean finished w/o getting hurt in reasonable time).

I've had my Versys on hundreds of miles of dirt and gravel roads. I've taken it up a couple gnarly access roads with steep hills. Last weekend while in PA I took a bunch of fire roads, followed one around an access trail and climbed the gravel embankment up about 6' and back on the road. I was worried my sweet CF TBR would bottom out, but it didn't. I carried enough speed that it didn't matter I was on street tires. I've crossed some streams on the bike, 2 up. Now if I didn't have as much dirt bike experience, I probably wouldn't be able to do that kind of stuff on the Versys, no matter what kind of tires she was wearing.

For real off-road, I've got my trusty Husky TE450, plated of course. I'd never try a lot of the stuff I do on the Husky with the V, but for mild off road, dirt roads, fields etc the Versys is fine. You won't find me in any rock gardens or trying to climb over downed trees.
post #53 of 353 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:00 AM
thy

post #54 of 353 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 03:37 AM

Horizontally compressed 640 X 512 image corrected to 710 X 512:

post #55 of 353 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 10:04 AM

I am going to Morocco next week on the Versys. 2 of us, and my mate is on a GS1200 Adventure. I am on Distanzia SM's. He is on Metzeler Karoo.
We are planning lots of Piste's and dirt roads but it should be dry.
He is a better dirt rider than me so the comparison how we get on and how the V performs will hopefully answer a lot of questions.
I will report when I return.
I have an Algard bash plate plus extension, higher seat, home-made screen, lots of leccy mods, suspension both ends modified and Ventura luggage system.
I have had to ship the tyres to northern Spain to put on when I get there. I hope they last till I get back to Spain and put the original Dunlops back on for the ride home.
Ted.
post #56 of 353 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 11:06 AM

Wow, that sounds like fun! Take care, Ted, and definitely, let us know how it went when you return.
post #57 of 353 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukejt View Post
I think a lot has to be said that it's the rider, not the bike. No, the Versys is not an off-road bike. However, any bike can be taken off road to some extend, and for sure the Versys is better than most street bikes when the pavement comes to an end. Did you guys catch Jessie James trying to ride in some dirt on his new show, "Jessie James is a Douche Bag"? Boosted my ego quite a bit, I've tackled similar stuff and I know for sure I'd have cleaned up in that HS, but I remember when I looked and felt just like Jesse on my first trials riding dirt bikes (by cleaned up I mean finished w/o getting hurt in reasonable time).

I've had my Versys on hundreds of miles of dirt and gravel roads. I've taken it up a couple gnarly access roads with steep hills. Last weekend while in PA I took a bunch of fire roads, followed one around an access trail and climbed the gravel embankment up about 6' and back on the road. I was worried my sweet CF TBR would bottom out, but it didn't. I carried enough speed that it didn't matter I was on street tires. I've crossed some streams on the bike, 2 up. Now if I didn't have as much dirt bike experience, I probably wouldn't be able to do that kind of stuff on the Versys, no matter what kind of tires she was wearing.

For real off-road, I've got my trusty Husky TE450, plated of course. I'd never try a lot of the stuff I do on the Husky with the V, but for mild off road, dirt roads, fields etc the Versys is fine. You won't find me in any rock gardens or trying to climb over downed trees.
I agree; a skilled rider can do stuff on a bike that it wasn't necessarily meant to do and the Versys is " better than most street bikes when the pavement comes to an end". I've been racing offroad for 30 years and have owned more than 30 bikes and as I've said before, whether you consider the Versys capable of "off-road riding" depends greatly on what you mean by "off road". Not even Ty Davis could take a Versys through a National level Enduro.

Dirt roads? sure, 4x4 roads or skidder trails? sure with the right tires, tight single track? nope, not the trails I ride.

The Versys is a very versatile street bike, but it isn't a dual sport and it certainly isn't a dirt bike.

As far as the comparison between a V and a KLR, I would agree that the Versys makes much more power and is far more enjoyable to ride on the street. The KLR is a much better "offroad" bike despite it's 1980's technology, weak power output, crappy suspension, twitchy frame and titanic weight.

I can hardly wait to go "offroad" riding this weekend, but it'll be on my new KTM 300xcw, not my Versys.

Dave

2008 Versys, 2008 ZX6R, 2006 EX500, 2002 KLR650
2010 KTM 300XCW, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2006 KTM 200 XC,
2004 CRF250X, 2002 CRF150
post #58 of 353 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:01 AM

Offroad mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thy View Post
Can we see a photo of the right side? I would like to see how you routed the exhaust headers and muffler.

What bike did the front end come from?

Did you make any changes to the rear suspension?

Thanks!
post #59 of 353 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 12:02 PM

The above picture confuses me a little. Why wouldnt you just buy a dirt bike?
post #60 of 353 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
The above picture confuses me a little. Why wouldnt you just buy a dirt bike?
One bike in the garage takes up less space than two?

One bike and some extra parts cost less than two bikes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
klr, off road, rugged, versys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode