Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Chain Tensioner

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  blipco 
#1 ·
I've been kinda enamored with the new Zuk GSX-S1000F. Looks to be a hoot. One thing I'm not so crazy about it is it seems to be a peaky engine. I've read/heard that the Ninja 1k is actually more powerful in the normal range it would be ridden.

Anyway, that got me looking at the Ninja 1k which shares an engine with my V1k, though I think my V1k has even been tuned for more low-mid range power than the Ninja, but I digress.

So while looking at exhaust options to clean those ballasts off the side of the Ninja 1k, I noticed that it uses the same cam mechanism to tension the chain as my old ZRX used. It was a fantastic mechanism. Loosen a bolt, adjust the cam on one side and it's done. None of this nonsense of trying to diddle around trying to get the two sides equal.

Why the hell did that not get fitted to the Versys?

#4 ·
Looks to me like the same thing the V1k uses. A bolt on each side of the swingarm. The ZRX design moved the entire axle to and fro so it could't get cockeyed and cause the tire to be misaligned which apparently wears them out a lot quicker.

It looks like this:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.