Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Versys Off Road?

37K views 62 replies 23 participants last post by  onewizard 
#1 ·
Any one ever took their bike off road? how was it ?

#2 ·
DON'T DO IT, the Versys is NOT an off-road bike at all. Made for the streets ONLY. Especially the Gen 1 & 2 bikes...........:wink2:

Anybody that tells you different doesn't know what they are talking about. You could NEVER outfit your bike properly to handle anything more than a gravel road. :laugh2:

#3 ·
Just like the fact that it is possible to land an aircraft anywhere - once, you can take your Versys anywhere but perhaps only once. (Tongue firmly placed in cheek).

#10 · (Edited)
Sorry, NO Photoshopping involved!
Here are a few other ACTUAL pictures of my Versys in various locations.

Attachments

Reactions: DIMOOON42
#11 ·
Really? I can stand on my pegs and see the front tire just fine.....
I do have a set of aftermarket off-road pegs installed though. As for mud and other trail conditions, all you need is a good set of tires and some semi advanced riding skills and you will be fine. Big rocks, logs and other Dual Sport obstacles, SURE there are many other bikes that will handle the rough stuff better. The key is just don't take your bike anywhere YOU or the bike can handle it.

#12 ·
ya kawdog.... "Got any action MPEG's (when you hit 6k rpm)? ".. do you? anything close? just sayin'.

" Drive Safe!" ... ya, guessin' thats a joke because 6k on the tach prolly wont work on that road, at least not for long... ya, it's a road.... 100 years ago. there were 4 mines on that road. where the pic is taken was what I think is the Homestake mine, which made it into the about the 1930s. last time I was there was a couple years ago... first time there was about 1973... the road was better then. the "road" as it is now.. not that hard because there is not much mud that high up, but you still have to pay attention. the next road down is Craggy Creek.. I've never made the top of that one but tried a few times on my KLR. actually, don't know anyone that has climbed it all because it is a series of switchbacks that easily gains 1000 feet in short order... seen it kill more than one bike too. I am reminded of "Long way 'Round" when they got to the Road of Bones & were ****tin themselves.... then thinkin about when I was a kid growing up in AK.... that looked a lot like what we called "roads"... as in, thats what roads look like. well, at breakup anyway.

#13 ·
Alaska Jeff always has his bike set up immaculate and set up for off-road too. Those are 2 year old pictures of his bike though, and he may have changed it since then. I have not seen any closeups lately except for his rear fender extender (real-close close-up shots.)

The Vs. 650 would be similar to the BMW F650 and they have won countless off-road races. The ONLY main difference would be maybe a 21" front wheel: or at least a 19" front wheel. The 17" front wheel is hard to maneuver on the street at low speeds for me, so I can imagine the 17" front wheel would require great skill off-road.

AK is the real deal in off-roading, and too much for my big a$$ to even consider. I like well maintained streets with banked curves :grin2:

#15 ·
Curious what the consensus here is of riders who have ridden the V with the TKC 80 front tire 120/70-17 and also the TKC 80 sized 130/80-17.

Having ridden both, would you stick to the OEM size or bump up to the 130/80 for more tire height and rim protection? ?

#16 ·
My TKC80 was in 120/70 size, unlike my Tourance in 130/80. I WILL put E705s on as next tires on both the '08 and the '15 when necessary, in 120/70 and 150/70 sizes.

I ran the 130/80 front Tourances simply because they weren't available in 120/70, and the BONUS that they LAST, and last....

#20 ·
The front 130/80 (in AZ) has OVER 25,000 MILES on it, w/ LOTS left...!

As far as riding off-road goes, do you ever scrape your exhaust up from rolling over debre? Does it take much abuse? Thanks.
Haven't touched MINE yet. The '08 has a skid-plate, the '15 NOT - just the exhaust...!

DON'T DO IT, the Versys is NOT an off-road bike at all. Made for the streets ONLY. Especially the Gen 1 & 2 bikes...........:wink2:...Jeff I have to apologize in advance. When I started looking into buying a V I imagined it to have an aggressive off-road look. Started buying parts like the beak/cowl combo, skid plate..etc and in the process I found a pic of yours. They happen to be the same color so mine will look very much like yours aside from a few parts here and there. You did an awesome job and after seeing your pics I don't have to imagine what it will look like when I'm finished. Thanks for sharing!
Don't miss Jeff's #3 pic.... HIS V like to take "mud-naps"....

>:)

#17 ·
As far as riding off-road goes, do you ever scrape your exhaust up from rolling over debre? Does it take much abuse? Thanks.

#23 ·
Here are videos of my first off road experience with the V - only last May.

and

Since then I have done several hundred kms on dirt, including a day of single tack and logging roads.

Next summer I am planning on doing Washington Backcountry Discovery Route - 1,000 kms / 600 miles over 6 days mainly on logging roads.

I will be taking FastEddie's recommendation on tires.

As somebody said above "Its more about the rider than the bike".

Reactions: Joey Rocket Films
#24 ·
Al - were you standing on the foot-pegs thru that rough stuff?

You mention "re-inflating" your tires after the rough stuff. Suggest you read the various rides by jdrocks, particularly about 'airing-down'. Both he and I run 36 psi F, 42 R, and DON'T ever air-down!

By airing-down you are putting your cast wheels in danger of getting broken when hitting rocks, etc.

:goodluck:

#25 ·
Al - were you standing on the foot-pegs thru that rough stuff?
Too bloody right I was.

You mention "re-inflating" your tires after the rough stuff. Suggest you read the various rides by jdrocks, particularly about 'airing-down'. Both he and I run 36 psi F, 42 R, and DON'T ever air-down!

By airing-down you are putting your cast wheels in danger of getting broken when hitting rocks, etc.

:goodluck:
Thanks for the heads up re pressure. I will take that on board.

I will be doing lots of learning and practice before I tackle the WABDR, including overnight fully loaded rides.

#28 ·
I've owned a few dual sports in my life, and I've liked every one of them. However, I bought this Versys to replace an R1200GS that I rode to Alaska last year. Funny, the GS, while it was an OK bike, was my least favorite of all of my dual sports. Yesterday, I finally finished getting the Versys adjusted to more of a dual sport bike, so I took it on a little ride today to see how it felt. I live in the Phoenix, AZ area and took a little ride up to Castle Hot Springs via Lake Pleasant road and then on to Morristown. Awesome, this may well be the best of the bunch. It's fast (enough), economical, smooth, comfortable, and responds very nicely on the gravel road today. I wish I had it when I rode Alaska last year. I still have a couple of little things to do. Gps, secure the cup holder for the washboard roads, but generally she is good to go. Anyone want to ride?

#38 ·
#29 ·

a) terrain: you don't have much ground clearance (5-6 inches), and no solid engine cradle (underframe). Skid plates are not skid plates but rock guards. So, pick a line and don't rush over baby heads rocks. To me, this is not a negociable constraint; I won't risk the underbelly in any way, so I won't even bother buying protection there. Maybe one day if they make something really though that can take 5x the weight of the bike somehow...

b) agility: it's heavy enough to not want to pick it up all day (when solo), so, stay up and avoid deep sand and deep mud, or ride with a buddy, with a few yards of straps to pull it out. This bike is slim so its a lot of top heavy weight when laying really flat (like 200lbs+)

c) protection: crashbars and shorter front turn signals will save you money in the long run. In the mean time, remove the steel clamps (2 plates and a screw on each turn signal) from the inside of the fairing. This allows the whole thing to pop out without cracking everything.

d) comfort: add some preload, don't deflate tires, tie the barkbusters down to the triple clamp (biggest zip ties you can find) (unless you want them to flip up and break the clutch cable or worse, the master cylinder; don't ask...).

#33 ·
I have modded my V a dozen ways but the most bang for the buck has been the TCK80 front with the R1 shock. I have ridden with a few GSA s off-road and they have little or no advantage. But they do look cool with all of that Starwars engineering. The problem with riding with the Beemer GSA crowd off-road is that you have to stop more to help them pick up those pigs.

#34 ·
yep... traded my 1100 GS as down payment for my '15V... no regrets. sold my 1150GS after riding the V for a summer, no regrets (well maybe a little). they are a big flying couch & there is no better gravel road bike, but ya.... picking the beast up... I'm getting tooo old to do that. especially when loaded up, you (me) need extra hands. its another 100 pounds

love tkc 80s.. no better compromise tire

#35 ·
FWIW - I just met the brother of the fellow I fished w/ in Alaska this summer, 2016. (http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...away-dust-2-dawson-2016-other-adventures.html). He asked what I ride, and when I said two Versys 650s, he said that he rides dirt on HIS V650, out of TX.

He mentioned he'd ridden the GDR; the UTBDR; the IDBDR; the NMBDR (and I'm probably forgetting at least one more), all on his Versys. When I mentioned my 'trials' on the AZBDR two years ago (http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/3-member-rides/67554-riding-az-ut-maybe-co-w-jdrocks.html and http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...-one-big-freakin%92-rodeo-tx-nm-az-ut-co.html), he offered that he'd heard that it is the TOUGHEST of them all.

I suppose that indicates that (SOME) Vs can be ridden off-road.

:thumb: - :thumb:

#36 ·
There is an obvious necessity for the right tires if you are venturing off road. Also engine bars are going to help a lot when your bike lays down to rest on it's side. I've found backing off preload and rebound damping helps a lot too. Minimum preload and damping seems to work the best off road but is going to hurt on road handling. The default suspension settings are way too firm for off road use.

#45 ·
I'm aware. I've seen my friend touch up certain areas instead of peeling it all off and it looked decent. I wouldn't be getting it with hopes of long term. Just to switch things up a bit.

#49 ·
I have TKC80s on my spare wheels.

Jeff has kinda bailed out & dunno if he's going to hang out here much anymore. I know he sold his Versys

#50 · (Edited)
It always puzzles me that people take the big bikes off-road.

I have 3 of them. V1000, V650 and Tiger 800 XR. I would not dare to take even the Tiger XC (off-road version) off-road. this is a suicide. when that thing falls on you, you need to pray to god (if he exists), unless you have some friends to help you lift it up. I consider that trend to take Adventure bikes off-road, including the BWM 1200gs as simply stupid. Of course, a skilful rider can survive, but what is the point?

I had this dialog with Tiger 800 forum, and they were saying, 'depends how you ride it'. what a a bunch of horses**t...

Rather recently I let myself venture into a bit muddy roads with my 650. It was such a pain to even turn this thing around so I could get to the tarmac road! Furthermore, the exhaust in 650 is at the bottom, so if you hit some water.... good luck...

there is this all mythology created about 'adventure' bikes, which is no more than ugly marketing. I just met that guy with Tenere 700 in the mountain's trail and he just looked so much out of place. I felt sorry for him.

At least Kawasaki is honest enough to call Versys 'sport touring bike' not and 'adventure' bike. Even going with versys x300 in the proper off-road, you have a death wish.

#51 ·
It always puzzles me that people take the big bikes off-road.

I have 3 of them. V1000, V650 and Tiger 800 XR. I would not dare to take even the Tiger XC (off-road version) off-road. this is a suicide. when that thing falls on you, you need to pray to god (if he exists), unless you have some friends to help you lift it up. I consider that trend to take Adventure bikes off-road, including the BWM 1200gs as simply stupid. Of course, a skilful rider can survive, but what is the point?

I had this dialog with Tiger 800 forum, and they were saying, 'depends how you ride it'. what a a bunch of horseshit...

Rather recently I let myself venture into a bit muddy roads with my 650. It was such a pain to even turn this thing around so I could get to the tarmac road! Furthermore, the exhaust in 650 is at the bottom, so if you hit some water.... good luck...

there is this all mythology created about 'adventure' bikes, which is no more than ugly marketing. I just met that guy with Tenere 700 in the mountain's trail and he just looked so much out of place. I felt sorry for him.

At least Kawasaki is honest enough to call Versys 'sport touring bike' not and 'adventure' bike. Even going with versys x300 in the proper off-road, you have a death wish.
With the ambiguity around the definition of "off-road" I'll start with defining a few levels:

1) unpaved but groomed
2) ordinary pickup -feasible, rocks, hills, mud, sand, forest roads
3) atv type, choose a line or you go down.
4) freakin' mountain goat hard enduro or OFF of any hint of a road (no path).

Any bike is fine with level 2 or less, even my former ninja if it had proper tires. And I'd bet that the most frequent meaning for the mass, judging from where I see ADV owners go.

Level 3 draws the line. Let's keep in mind that a 400cc atv is heavier than a bike. Bikes will remain more agile, although have less traction and can be found rubber side up more often. If you have the strength and height to feel good about a 650-800, go for it. Customer is always right. There is no warning to give about weight, everyone knows.

I too think a 1200cc is too much. But not a 450 lbs 650cc. Mid weight ADV bikes fit like boots. A 6ft 200 lbs man is likely to find a 650 just right for both highway and trail (walking and work). Do not underestimate the need for highway comfort, power and the willingness to accept extra weight just to avoid a dinky shaky bike unable to carry luggage.

Finally and most importantly for many, most of us don't have space or money for more than one bike. And just like sport riding fans who don't actually have a real sport bike, we push the limit of the one machine we have until it's enough for what we can manage (or until we are reminded of it!). Then we talk proudly about the bike and and our rides with words like "off-road" without ensuring we all talk about the same thing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.