Kawasaki Versys Forum - View Single Post - 2012 650 Touring Edition
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:17 PM
Arion

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I can hear what the engine is doing by carefully listening to sound that exits the exhaust outlet. I can hear the result of the engine loading or unloading and responding to the throttle plates opening or closing, and responding to the actual load that it is placed under. For example - opening the throttle while exiting an uphill curve, etc. By listening to the subtle changes going on in the exhaust note, it allows me to better picture what the engine is doing and how it is dealing with the demands that I am putting on it.

It is for "entertainment value" for me, more than anything else. It's just fun. The engine sounds remind me of the sounds that I heard when I use to attend local oval car races back in the '70's. It difficult to explain, but for me, the sounds somehow turn into mechanical pictures in my head. No, really.

At the same time, my ear plugs are filtering out the higher frequency sounds, such as the valve train, counter-ballancer, drive chain, etc.
Wow! Your hearing must be light years than mine or that of my cat. And his hearing is spectacular, although he knows jack squat about engines.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome