Kawasaki Versys Forum - View Single Post - school me on chains and sprockets
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 PM
j.harwood

After reading the comments and advice here on this forum thread, I have gone with 46 tooth rear, 15 tooth front sprocket, and a 114 link DID X ring chain in gold (they were out of the natural finish I was hoping for). Before the change, I have just under 18K miles on my 08 650 Versys, and I was getting a surging feeling and rub in my chain near the front sprocket. Shifts between gears "slapped" it seemed. I had only ridden for about 500 miles since I bought the bike used, and was thinking that was "just how it is" as far as the slappy shift. 2 weeks ago I got my tires changed, and when I rode home, the surging, rubbing sound was worse. After re inspection the tech told me the sprockets really needed changing and the chain was bad. Finally today I got it into my friends motorcycle shop and he helped me with the change of sprockets and chain. WOW what a difference. It's like a whole different bike! I could't believe how smooth it was, how much less vibration and NO SLAP when I shift. I am so happy. A great day - I learned how to change the sprockets, hands on with a great technician, and the results are phenomenal. I considered going with the 43T Rear option but since I mostly ride in town commuting to work, I liked the 46 just fine for that. At 60 mph I am at about 5500 rpm...smooth as silk. Big smile. Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. <salute>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my videos on youtube. Leave your links to your channel in the comments!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome