Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Old Kawa guy...newbie here...

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  SmoothRoad 
#1 ·
Hi there... old Kawa Concours 14 rider decided to buy a Versys as a second bike replacing my ex Super Tenere.
Still debating between a V650 LT and a V1k LT. My brain says V650 and my heart says V1k.

Meanwhile I will be reading some posting to help making up my mind.

#2 ·
:welcome: Had a 09 Versys 650 loved it. Then got an FJR. Now have a 2016 Versys 1000. If i had to do it all over i would get the V-1000. But thats just me....

P1010656 by weljo2001, on Flickr

#3 ·
Olie, if you've been around the connie world for awhile, you know me, and I recently bought a 650LT. I went 650 because I find it doesn't inspire me to lose my license just trying to go for a little relaxing ride. I still have my 14, so if I need to feed the adrenaline junkie, it's parked next to the 650. They are very different bikes... the 1000 is obviously going to be closer in power to the 14, but still the upright seating position, etc. So if you still need the speed, or at least a greater percentage of it, go with the 1000. If you're ready to flower sniff, the 650 is closer to being the bike for you. the 650 will still go pretty well between 5-9 k, but don't expect any of the torque you're used to with the 14. steve

#4 ·
thanks guys for your input... I will be keeping the C14 until a worthy replacement is on the market. This is my second C14 for a total of 94k miles. Also it is my "wife's bike" ... I will need her "blessing" too for its replacement.

I just sold my Super Tenere a couple months ago, my wife hated that bike, but I rode it for over 54k miles including a trip to Panama Canal. Last year alone I put 27.6k miles between my C14 and ST, including also a trip to Nova Scotia on my C14.

I thought I could be fine with the C14 alone... nope , not the case. I tested both bikes, V1K and V650.... I enjoyed both... different bikes but both great. Knowing myself a couple years ago it wouldn't be a issue, I even wouldn't have tried the 650.... V1K all the way.

Now I am 68yo and "wiser" ...although not according with my family and friends. Even my wife is shocked that I am considering the 650... My brain is fighting my heart....

#6 ·
...Now I am 68yo and "wiser" ...although not according with my family and friends. Even my wife is shocked that I am considering the 650... My brain is fighting my heart....
:welcome: aboard!

from someone who is even OLDER, and owns/owned THREE V650s: '08 in AZ, '09 in BC (since GONE...:crying:..) and a '15 LT in BC, w/ a TOTAL in excess of 127K MILES among 'em....

:thumb: - :thumb:

GREAT bikes!

#5 ·
Welcome From Canada

:welcome:to the forum

#9 ·
After all the dwelling among the V650, V1k and no additional bike options, today I closed the deal on a green 16' V1k . I will be picking it up tomorrow morning. My 13' C14 will be sharing the stall with the new replacement of the gone Super Tenere.
It has been almost 5 years without oiling a chain ;) ... not looking for it :)

#12 ·
I also had, and still have, A 1600 Vulcan Classic which I'm finally selling. I've only been riding the Versys since I got it, but I needed to get the Vulcan ready to sell, so I took it out for a ride the other day. OMG, what a tank, it's fine in a straight line, and very comfortable, but thats about it. I then rode the Versys and it felt like a bicycle! :grin2:

#14 ·
Mid-size preference

I recently traded in a 2013 DL650 on a 2016 Versys 650 LT and am very happy with the V650. While I admire the V1000, cost of ownership and the size of the bike (I'm 5'7") were prohibitive. Two weeks ago I went on a 390 mile day ride (San Antonio, TX to Gulf Coast and back) and really enjoyed V650. There's plenty of power there for highway cruising and for merging onto freeways. And the lighter bikes offer the increased maneuverabilty, which you will appreciate if you do any urban commuting. Finally, there's the economic advantage of mid-size bikes. I figure I will probably do more riding on a motorcycle like this since I'll have more money to spend on traveling. And that will also imply more frequent Dunkin Donut stops:smile2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.