Kawasaki Versys Forum - View Single Post - Installing a Shinko E705 w/ zip-ties
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
fasteddiecopeman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
Eddie,

Unless there is another post, you didn't explain how / why you used the zip ties, instead of just the tire levers.

Alan
SORRY - I realized that last night after I was going to bed, so here goes:

FIRST - when I say "16 zip-ties" I'm actually referencing 32 of them, 16 each of 11" white ones, and 8" black SACRIFICIAL ones;
SECOND - put JUST enough of an 8" into the 11" female end, so that it holds against a 'tug', on each pair, making 16;
THIRD - take your WARMED new tire and put the now-attached zip-ties around (so that the white one is around the tread, the black over the beads), then slide the white male-end into the black female, ENSURING that both ends of the black are away from the bead so they don't get caught inside the tire later, and take up some of the slack by pulling the black male end (I hold the two sides of the bead together, sometimes by kneeling);
FOURTH - continue till they're ALL around the tire about equi-distant, and SNUG the zip-ties till they're all tight, w/ the two sides of the beads touching, or as CLOSE as you can get - it gets easier as they get tightened;
FIFTH - put some tire lube around the bead (I've used tire lube, WD40, dish soap - whatever works for you);
SIXTH - place the tire against the rim (you'll find that over half will be IN the channel), then take two tire irons to the part that's NOT IN yet, push... and SUDDENLY, as if by MAGIC, the tire is ON the rim!
SEVENTH - take side-cutters and cut the BLACK female end so that you don't also cut the white, then pull the black one thru the rim, off the tire, and discard. (Later you can cut the male end of the black near the female white part, pull the remainder of it out, thus salvaging your 11" whites for another time.) In this pic I used whites for both zip-ties, but it's easier to salvage when I use different colors.

Now add air till your beads 'seat', remove the valve to add "Dyna-Beads", re-install and add air.

From the FIFTH thru SEVENTH steps took me about ONE minute - probably the quickest tire install EVER (and you can check w/ Skipper1940 who watched it happen)!!! All because the tire beads DON'T get 'hung-up' while you're TRYING to get the tire "up-and-over" that last little bit.

Easy-peasy....

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-07-2017 at 02:40 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome