Kawasaki Versys Forum - View Single Post - Installing a Shinko E705 w/ zip-ties
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
fasteddiecopeman
Super Moderator

Installing a Shinko E705 w/ zip-ties

Finally removed the Metzler Tourance rear (150/70) tire and replaced it w/ a Shinko E705 in the same size, using "zip-ties" (I had invited another inmate, Skipper1940, over to watch).

First order-of-business was to leave the removed wheel and the new tire in the sun to warm up.

Here's what that Tourance tire looked like after 12,337 MILES!

There's about .1 to .130" of tread at the "thinnest" part in the center; and here's the new Shinko, which has a "BIT" more...!

W/ the tire removed I cleaned the wheel, then put a 90 degree valve stem in.

I had the camera near by, but forgot to take a pic of the Shinko w/ 16 zip-ties, so here's a pic of the front Tourance w/ 17 of them (incidentally - that tire NOW has 26,697 miles on it, w/ LOTS of tread still on it! - when I re-installed it after removing the TKC80).

But I DID get a pic once I got the bead set (took awhile, and two tie-downs wrapped around the center of the tread to seat it before it would!), and had installed my "Dyna-Beads",

but ran into ANOTHER problem: I always check the valve-stem for leaks, and I found it leaking SLIGHTLY, so I removed the valve, replaced it w/ another, which ALSO was leaking. I didn't particularly want to break the bead and replace the 90 degree valve stem, so I dripped a bit of tire-lube around it, re-installed it, added air - and it HELD! SO, back onto BIG RED and took this pic.

I'll re-check it, watching the valve-stem for leaking....

As an aside - I put a plug into that rear Tourance (150/70) when we got to AZ, due to a slow leak in the center of the tread (glass...?), and got another 3,039 miles from it before the tire-change.

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-06-2017 at 11:57 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome