Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Arizona Riders Meet Thread

4K views 29 replies 4 participants last post by  Joey Rocket Films 
#1 ·
Hello all, I decided to try and start a new AZ group ride thread since the ones I've found are pretty old. I'm looking to meet with some riders in my area who are interested in some on and/or off-road riding. I'm located in the Tempe area. Rides I'd like to do in the near future, Pacific Coast Highway through CA. Jerome, Tombstone..etc PLease feel free to befriend me and comment here if you're open for some AZ riding.

#4 ·
Nice. Hope to meet up soon. In the process of a few mods so I'll be looking to hit the road soon. Do you ride this time of year much?

#6 ·
I do when I can, but I haven't done any bigger trips this year. I've been prepping the bike for more gravel, and just this week got back out - nice in the cooler weather. I've been thinking about Jerome and some other day trips, might point south during the winter and check out some of the rides around Tucson. I haven't done any camping off the bike yet, that's in the works too this spring. I also want to do Coronado Trail this spring, though I'm seriously averse to 'long weekend' rides in traffic, and thankfully can usually ride mid-week.

I lived in Thousand Oaks for 9 years, did lots of riding along Mulholland, PCH, HWY 23S (favorite lunch time ride) and wanted to see Yosemite / Sierras but never made the time. I rode a cruiser then so my max was about 3 hours, but loved the twisties in CA. I don't have a ton of free time, so my primary focus is closer to home, and there's lots of great riding in AZ - particularly gravel roads exploring all over the state. Fast Eddie is probably the guru on this type of local riding, and he's posted a couple ride reports recently. My local ambition is mostly 1-2 day rides, camp or occasionally hotel overnight.

I'll PM you my contact info, perhaps we can meet up once you're back on the bike.

#7 ·
Sounds good to me, I think we are pretty much into the same type of riding. I'm definitely looking to explore more of AZ. My V will be set up for dirt roads, gravel and some light trails shortly. I'm not looking to go to crazy off road but I'd like to find some cool places to explore.
Fast Eddie is definitely someone I'd like to tag along with at some point.

#10 ·
IF we were gonna meet for a lunch and a visit, I think I'd suggest the "River Bottom Bar and Grill" in Florence, and NOT because I live a few miles away. River Bottom Bar & Grill - Home It's pretty much central to Tucson and Phoenix, good riding both directions, and the menu is pretty good. Another place that could 'fill-the-bill' is the "San Tan Flat Steakhouse" in Queen Creek. san-tan-flat

I meet some Tucson riders (Chuck = cjcintucson = and a couple of buddies) at the River Bottom, and go to San Tan Flat at least once a month.

:thumb: - :thumb:

#12 ·
How about working on a date? Either of Ed's suggestions, who can/wants to do a weekday or a weekend?

I suggest 16th or 17th - any takers?

Certainly open to other dates/times.

Ed - can you take the lead on a ride from there?

#13 ·
Weekend works better for me, I work a 9-5 mon-fri.
I'm pretty sure I can do that Saturday. I'd love to do some light off road trails or dirt roads to test these new tires if possible.

#15 ·
17th works for me, starting point and timing as suggested good, ride good....

Note - I live with an erratic, and sometimes last minute schedule so I occasionally need to bail out last minute. Failing any work interruptions, I'm in.

#16 ·
I second what Joe said. All of it. Erratic schedule is not as bad this time of year though. I'll be heading that way from Tempe

#22 ·
Hello forum. I'm from Phoenix, Az (Well, Glendale) I have a WHITE 2013 Versys 650 I bought NEW for a steal in February, 2015. A little self valentine's day gift from myself. Currently have 1500 miles on my V650.

I usually ride solo on the weekday evenings after work and I live on my V on weekends (I convinced my girlfriend to buy gear and go 2 up, smh), but I'd like to find some people to ride with here and there.

I've been off road with my V a couple times, but nothing to major. Lost it in some deep sand with no damage, just lessons learned.

I've install puig crash bar guards. A pro-grip tank protector Set. Highway engine guard pegs. And some sweet RED rim tape. Currently building a passenger backrest for the GF.
I started a new AZ thread. A couple of us will be going for a ride this saturday - http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/13-group-rides/119610-arizona-riders-meet-thread.html

#24 ·
Ok so here is the plan so far. 1st meet spot at Dennys off the 60 - 4403 S Rural Rd, Tempe, AZ 85282 at 10:30 then we head to meet Eddie at the River Bottom Bar Grill florence AZ by about 11:30

#25 ·
Had an awesome ride with you fellas! Great pace, great scenery and great riding. Looking forward to the next meet.

Attachments

#26 ·
Indeed, a great ride day, great group of guys. Eddie earned the 'fast' part of his screen name, and is indeed the route guru. Wear sunglasses when you ride with him because the rare times he uses the brakes, those lights on the back of his bike may burn out your retinas. Joey likes his throttle pretty good too, I could see him itching to pull a wheelie on the freeway. And no - he didn't pull a gun on anyone. Skip's not yet an inmate here, but another solid dude on a bike - a lifetime on 2 wheels, smooth and in control all the way.

Thanks guys, let's get to work on another ride in '17.

Arizona could be one of the best places in the US to cure cabin fever, snow blindness and sundry other winter-related afflictions best treated with throttle.... come on down!

#27 ·
Lol well said! Yes Eddie doesn't play around when it comes to giving his name legitimacy. You go after it too! Haha love those lights man. No more freeway wheelies for me man! I did pop it up for a tiny bit when no one was around.
Definitely looking forward to the next adventure! I felt safe around everyone and didn't feel like we were pushing it too hard or waiting for the short bus to catch up. I did however take a bit for me to warm up!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.