Arizona Riders Meet Thread - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Group Rides Get together with fellow riders...

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Arizona Riders Meet Thread

Hello all, I decided to try and start a new AZ group ride thread since the ones I've found are pretty old. I'm looking to meet with some riders in my area who are interested in some on and/or off-road riding. I'm located in the Tempe area. Rides I'd like to do in the near future, Pacific Coast Highway through CA. Jerome, Tombstone..etc PLease feel free to befriend me and comment here if you're open for some AZ riding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:48 AM

Sounds cool. I'm North central Phx,

Joe
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

COULD work, but I will 'pass' on the CA riding....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Joe View Post
Sounds cool. I'm North central Phx,

Joe
Nice. Hope to meet up soon. In the process of a few mods so I'll be looking to hit the road soon. Do you ride this time of year much?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
COULD work, but I will 'pass' on the CA riding....
Cali no good to ride into? Have tryouts done the PCH before?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 04:47 AM

I do when I can, but I haven't done any bigger trips this year. I've been prepping the bike for more gravel, and just this week got back out - nice in the cooler weather. I've been thinking about Jerome and some other day trips, might point south during the winter and check out some of the rides around Tucson. I haven't done any camping off the bike yet, that's in the works too this spring. I also want to do Coronado Trail this spring, though I'm seriously averse to 'long weekend' rides in traffic, and thankfully can usually ride mid-week.

I lived in Thousand Oaks for 9 years, did lots of riding along Mulholland, PCH, HWY 23S (favorite lunch time ride) and wanted to see Yosemite / Sierras but never made the time. I rode a cruiser then so my max was about 3 hours, but loved the twisties in CA. I don't have a ton of free time, so my primary focus is closer to home, and there's lots of great riding in AZ - particularly gravel roads exploring all over the state. Fast Eddie is probably the guru on this type of local riding, and he's posted a couple ride reports recently. My local ambition is mostly 1-2 day rides, camp or occasionally hotel overnight.

I'll PM you my contact info, perhaps we can meet up once you're back on the bike.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I do when I can, but I haven't done any bigger trips this year. I've been prepping the bike for more gravel, and just this week got back out - nice in the cooler weather. I've been thinking about Jerome and some other day trips, might point south during the winter and check out some of the rides around Tucson. I haven't done any camping off the bike yet, that's in the works too this spring. I also want to do Coronado Trail this spring, though I'm seriously averse to 'long weekend' rides in traffic, and thankfully can usually ride mid-week.

I lived in Thousand Oaks for 9 years, did lots of riding along Mulholland, PCH, HWY 23S (favorite lunch time ride) and wanted to see Yosemite / Sierras but never made the time. I rode a cruiser then so my max was about 3 hours, but loved the twisties in CA. I don't have a ton of free time, so my primary focus is closer to home, and there's lots of great riding in AZ - particularly gravel roads exploring all over the state. Fast Eddie is probably the guru on this type of local riding, and he's posted a couple ride reports recently. My local ambition is mostly 1-2 day rides, camp or occasionally hotel overnight.

I'll PM you my contact info, perhaps we can meet up once you're back on the bike.
Sounds good to me, I think we are pretty much into the same type of riding. I'm definitely looking to explore more of AZ. My V will be set up for dirt roads, gravel and some light trails shortly. I'm not looking to go to crazy off road but I'd like to find some cool places to explore.
Fast Eddie is definitely someone I'd like to tag along with at some point.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Rocket Films View Post
...Fast Eddie is definitely someone I'd like to tag along with at some point.
Make SURE you can ride SLOW then....

Joey Rocket Films likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Sounds good to me, I think we are pretty much into the same type of riding. I'm definitely looking to explore more of AZ. My V will be set up for dirt roads, gravel and some light trails shortly. I'm not looking to go to crazy off road but I'd like to find some cool places to explore.
Fast Eddie is definitely someone I'd like to tag along with at some point.
HA HA HA Ha Ha - if not on the motorcycle, how did Fast Eddie get his name???
I don't ride off road, but I do know the best doughnuts, breakfast places and dive bar food from Florence south. So, count me in if you ride down this way. I will PM you with my e-mail address.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

IF we were gonna meet for a lunch and a visit, I think I'd suggest the "River Bottom Bar and Grill" in Florence, and NOT because I live a few miles away. River Bottom Bar & Grill - Home It's pretty much central to Tucson and Phoenix, good riding both directions, and the menu is pretty good. Another place that could 'fill-the-bill' is the "San Tan Flat Steakhouse" in Queen Creek. san-tan-flat

I meet some Tucson riders (Chuck = cjcintucson = and a couple of buddies) at the River Bottom, and go to San Tan Flat at least once a month.

-

Ed

..)

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Awesome. Looking forward to meeting up with you fellas.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:42 PM

How about working on a date? Either of Ed's suggestions, who can/wants to do a weekday or a weekend?

I suggest 16th or 17th - any takers?

Certainly open to other dates/times.

Ed - can you take the lead on a ride from there?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
How about working on a date? Either of Ed's suggestions, who can/wants to do a weekday or a weekend?

Weekend works better for me, I work a 9-5 mon-fri.
I'm pretty sure I can do that Saturday. I'd love to do some light off road trails or dirt roads to test these new tires if possible.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
Weekend works better for me, I work a 9-5 mon-fri.
I'm pretty sure I can do that Saturday. I'd love to do some light off road trails or dirt roads to test these new tires if possible.
MY calendar is 'open' both dates, so, if you plan the 17th (Saturday) - we could meet at the RiverBottom around 1100, have lunch, then (for those that are willing to do a short bit of 'dirt', say 10 miles...), we could replicate the ride I posted to the Ray Mine. For the Phoenix guys - at the Florence Junction on 60 you'd continue W on 60 to home, while the Tucson boys follow me S on 79 towards Florence from the Florence Junction.

Riding to the Ray Mine in AZ

As long as it has NOT rained just before (in which case I WILL NOT ride the MUD [dirt road]...), IMHO it's NOT a tough road to ride, even on street rubber.

Ed

..)

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-06-2016 at 10:57 AM.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 12:04 PM

17th works for me, starting point and timing as suggested good, ride good....

Note - I live with an erratic, and sometimes last minute schedule so I occasionally need to bail out last minute. Failing any work interruptions, I'm in.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Note - I live with an erratic, and sometimes last minute schedule so I occasionally need to bail out last minute. Failing any work interruptions, I'm in.
I second what Joe said. All of it. Erratic schedule is not as bad this time of year though. I'll be heading that way from Tempe
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 07:47 PM

DRAT!! I will be in Show Low the 16-18, probably freezing my butt off. Sorry I have to miss it, hope to see you the next time. Chuck

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
DRAT!! I will be in Show Low the 16-18, probably freezing my butt off. Sorry I have to miss it, hope to see you the next time. Chuck
"DRAT!! I will be in Show Low the 16-18, probably freezing my SORRY butt off...." See, Chuck, NOW it's properly written, w/ words in the RIGHT order....

Ed

..)

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

As this "meet" is set for Saturday (17th Dec) at 1130 - anyone else IN...?

Ed

..)

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

you in Joe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
arizona, az., phoenix, tucson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode