Great River Road Rally / Great Gravel Road Ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Group Rides Get together with fellow riders...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Great River Road Rally / Great Gravel Road Ride

I'm planning on attending and riding the Great River Road Rally / Great Gravel Road Ride one week from today, May 20-22, 2016, in Soldiers Grove, Wisconsin.

If you can make it - I will see you there.

Madison BMW Club : 42nd Annual Great River Road Rally (GR3)

http://www.madisonbmwclub.org/images/G2R2Map.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b relief-map-400.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	90434  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

I rode the BMW Great River Road Rally last weekend. The weather was perfect all weekend! By 9 pm Friday night, they had 270 riders registered.

Nine of us rode the "Great Gravel Road Ride" on Saturday. Most of the guys were on various BMW GS models, a couple guys were on big KTMs, most had off-road oriented tires, and one guy was on a vintage air head.

A couple of the guys kept commenting throughout the day - how they couldn't believe that I was on this ride! ... with a street bike! Riding on street tires!

Me and my '08 V did fine. Some of the gravel roads were graded better than others, and my Trials training didn't hurt either. We kept our speeds around 35 to 45 mph most of the time, and slowed some for deeper dirt & gravel, off camber curves and a few very steep hills. The hills and scenery were beautiful. And my bike and gear has never been dustier! [Cough, cough, hack.] I had fun riding watching for ruts, and dialing in just the right amount of throttle for conditions, and steering between "piled rows of gravel", while keeping an eye on the dust cloud of the lead group (so as not to get lost) for about 5 hours.

[FYI - My V is lowered, Michelin PR 4 tires, Yoshi 2 outlet muffler, bar-end mounted café mirrors, V-Stream windscreen with deflector, Corbin seat, lowered pegs.]

After about 125 miles, we stopped for lunch at around 2 pm. After lunch, most of us decided to take the pavement back to Soldiers Grove. There was more great scenery and twisty asphalt on the way back.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 02:20 PM

Garage
Didn't know there was a dirt great river road. I road the paved great river road to the source of the Mississippi in 2014 on my concours.

How many miles of dirt is it?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Didn't know there was a dirt great river road. I road the paved great river road to the source of the Mississippi in 2014 on my concours.

How many miles of dirt is it?
The mapped route is 175 miles total. I'd say we spent 75% of our time (of the first 5 hours of the ride) riding on gravel. Click on the second link above for the detailed map of the Great Gravel Road Ride. It takes a while to load but it's worth it. It states the mileage on the map. As I said above, we rode for 5 hours, had lunch in Caladonia, MN, then rode the pavement back. We all had enough, and were very satisfied with the ride at that point.

It's a "play on words". The gravel roads are not actually on the Mississippi. The "Great Gravel Road Ride" (G2R2) takes place at the BMW club's "Great River Road Rally" (GR3). Get it? Read the links. Only 9 of the 300 riders took the gravel road option on Saturday. The map shows that we rode in Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota on this loop. Did mention it was 175 miles?

I've not yet ridden the entire great river road, but I'm looking forward to it one day.

Last edited by trialsguy; 05-23-2016 at 02:37 PM. Reason: clairity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode