Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Should I buy a dual sport helmet

Tags
helmet
6K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  IanThomas 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I'd rather put my money into an extra tinted shield, or even better one of the new photo chromatic shields that automatically change from clear to dark. I do think some form of a tinted shield is almost mandatory though. I can't stand glare.

#7 · (Edited)
I just bought a Bell with a chromatic shield after suffering with a cheap flip helmet that was uncomfortable possibly due to the weight.
It's good to have the gradual darkening/lightening of the screen, but it's not poloroid like my sunglasses so isn't quite as good as you would think, & it also darkens on days when it's not sunny, which is frustrating.

I had offroad helmets & that's about all they are good for!

#4 ·
I had a Shoei Hornet, and loved it. It met an untimely end last fall, and they weren't available when I replaced it this spring, so I got a street helmet instead. Since I'm strictly a commuter, the beak never posed a problem at speed, and worked well to block the sun as I'm constantly driving into a blinding sun (East in the morning, West in the evening). It also worked well with the pinlock. Only downside was noise. But I miss it. Unless my riding habits change, my next helmet will probably be another Hornet.

#6 ·
Haven't owned an "adventure" helmet although I've probably had several dozen "street" (non-adventurous?) helmets over the years. My prime criteria are comfort, weight and wind noise. I've been both successful and unsuccessful even when researching the daylights out of a particular helmet. Bottom line is that no one but you can decide.

Revzilla and webbikeworld are two very good sources of detailed information IMHO, and are my go-to places. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

#8 ·
On most off my helmets I've added two lines of "electricians tape" along the inside top of the shields (cost = about 1cent), which has been a BIG help riding into the sun.

One of my helmets is a BELL REVOLVER EVO w/ the dark inner shield that comes down. It's OK, but I STILL feel a few lines of tape would improve it....

#10 ·
Great info, thanks for the read.

I wish someone would figure out how to at least put a small visor on a full face, that could be flipped back when not needed. I was riding home due west the other night and the sun was on the horizon just scorching the sh*t outta my retinas. Got so bad I could barely see and had to slow down. Just about then a semi passed me and was shadier than an old oak tree. I followed him until the sun went down.

#13 ·
That's the beauty of my XD4's peak. In similar situations, I just lower my head until the peak hides the direct rays of the low sun... Immediate vision through my shield. It's like shading your eyes with your hand.

#12 · (Edited)
I bought an Arai XD4 specifically for its peak. I've become dependent to some sort of visor after 50+ years of wearing some sort of ball cap... so for me it was nearly mandatory. I have no difficulties with the helmet when checking over my shoulder or lifting or lowering my head. For me, it's perfect.

Attachments

#15 ·
Good points in the article. I did get an ADV type helmet, however, the Arai XD4. Kind of a cross over. I'd always ridden sportbikes, so was leaned forward enough for the top of the helmet to block the sun. Sitting upright on the Versys I constantly had the sun in my euew, so I really like the visor. Haven't noticed any problems at highway speeds.

Adding tape or one of the available dark tinted strips to the top of the visor on a regular helmet works great, too.

#16 ·

Saeng/TA Stealth Edging

This Stealth edging gives you 2" to 3" more wind protection around the shield and acts as a Sun block if its at the right height. It seems like it would slow you down all the way around the shield, but it actually acts like a fairing in giving you better stability and somehow increases your efficiency in the century mark winds. It's especially good if your shield is thin width ways and getting wind on the edge of your visor banging around.

#21 ·
Polarized sunglasses and photochromatic shield.
that may be the route that i take. i normally ride with a dark smoke visor, clear stashed in the tank bag. but now i need to adjust for 2up travel, space must be saved. i really want a lid with a dropdown visor, but i haven't found one that's shaped like my skull.

i usually carry my polarized shades anyway for use while hiking. they slip into tho the helmet quite nicely. i may just go with the photochromic visor and add the shades when that's not dark enough. one less thing i need to carry...

#22 ·
I think adventure helmets for street use are a case of style over content, but so much of what we do to our bikes is too - pipes, spray jobs, etc. So basically I'm in favour of them. I have an Airoh S4 (a great budget helmet) which I use solely on the street. Recently I saw a pair of ski goggles on sale so I bought them, and now I sometimes ride around with no visor and just the goggles - which is fun! I get more air about my face, the goggles seal nicely around my eyes, and I feel like a badass! I have a normal Shoei helmet too, but it's a bit dull in caparison.

#23 ·
dual sport helmets have a number of advantages to me - there is more space infront of your mouth making them feel more open and feel cooler in high temps, the peak visor really helps with sun issues as well as rain when the rain is falling faster than you are moving forward.

the option to swap to goggles if you hit a lot of dirt (even muddy roads) etc is also nice.

#24 ·
I had an Icon variant helmet which was nice as it looked sort of like a dual sport , but was meant more for street use. The wind would catch it from time to time, but nothing too bad as long as you have some sort of wind screen. Like Genehil I also wear a hat all the time and have for many many years, so the visor is second nature for me. I have since switched to a modular without a visor, but the built in sunglasses and that is all i will ever buy in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.