"Best" riding boots for the Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

"Best" riding boots for the Versys

So, obviously this being very subjective. Who makes the best Boots, for the riding position of the Versys. I am looking for something comfortable, with some ankle protection, good flex so no MX boots, easy to walk around in, but will also work for most seasons. I'm 6'2" 210lbs and a size 11 depending on the manufacturer.

The last pair of boots I had were a $250 pair of Cruiser style icons for my FZ1 about seven years ago. I didn't like the fact that I had to adjust the hell out of the shift lever to be able to even get my toes in there. I had to adjust it up so far, that if I was to ride with normal street shoes I could barely manage the upshift, and had to almost take my foot completely off the peg and use my midsole for the downshift. I don't want that here.

I'm always looking for a good deal, but am willing to pay for quality if there is a distinct advantage. I've already learned the hard way, the necessity of a good boot, and good riding gear in general. I want something that is as good for around town, as it is for long trips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 01:01 PM

Garage
I've been wearing the Sidi Dohas since Jan,2010. Their still going strong. Very comfortable you can wear them all day long without any issues. I wear a size 13 the sole grips like glue. Now if your riding in a lot of rain your feet could get wet.......http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...idi-doha-boots

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I've been wearing the Sidi Dohas since Jan,2010. Their still going strong. Very comfortable you can wear them all day long without any issues. I wear a size 13 the sole grips like glue. Now if your riding in a lot of rain your feet could get wet.......http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...idi-doha-boots
Does that give enough ankle support, and also come up high enough to block out the wind?

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 01:34 PM

Garage
Your ankle doesn't feel like your walking around in a cast. Theres protection for the ankle but its not like a boot. No wind issues..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 02:04 PM

I just rec'd a pair of Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex from Revzilla after lots of research. They are very comfy right out of the box and lifetime waterproof guaranteed. Fairly tall and good protection. I got them after returning from a couple of long trips recently where we got into some torrential downpours and my so-called waterproof Icon Patrol boots were literally FULL of water not just damp and my buddies feet were bone dry with the A'stars.

2013 Versys1000
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-COASTER View Post
I just rec'd a pair of Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex from Revzilla after lots of research. They are very comfy right out of the box and lifetime waterproof guaranteed. Fairly tall and good protection. I got them after returning from a couple of long trips recently where we got into some torrential downpours and my so-called waterproof Icon Patrol boots were literally FULL of water not just damp and my buddies feet were bone dry with the A'stars.
Thanks, I'll have to check those out.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 05:43 PM

Garage
I have had a pair of the TCX X-Five Waterproof boots for 2 riding seasons now. I will admit that I haven't owned very many riding boots to compare to, but these are great.

I have ridden in them in weather from the upper 80's to low 40's just by varying what socks I put in them. I haven't worn them riding in an all out downpour but I have made several hour trips in light to moderate rain with no problems.

They seem to fit the riding position of the Versys very well.

I try to ride to work when possible (mostly in the office type job) and there are days where i have just worn these boots all day. They are reasonably comfortable and flexible and don't look too out of place.

They were the boot that I used on my Lake Superior Circle Tour ride last year and a couple of the days we stopped and walked in to waterfalls, around Split Rock Lighthouse, etc and they were great. Not a ton of traction but enough and relatively comfortable.

Right at $200.

It looks like they must be in the middle of a model year change or something but:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...CgIaAhld8P8HAQ

Mitch

Last edited by Slow-Steady; 10-15-2014 at 05:49 PM.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 06:40 PM

I own a pair of Cortech Latigo Waterproof Boots in size 10. I wear Vans shoes at size 10 1/2. I stand 5'10" and weigh 170lbs. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/c...rproof-rr-boot

I have owned these boots for the past 1,200 miles and I am very happy with them so far. They are comfortable and fit an average footbed and size.

PROS: I did a 650 miles round trip this past weekend and 200 of those miles were in the rain. Temperature ranging between 45F - 50F in the mountains, but not calculating wind chills going 70MPH. I wore a regular socks. My feet were both dry and somewhat chilly. Not even close to numbness cold, but just a chill feeling. I also wore Olympia Airglide 3 pants and placed it's waterproof liner inside the boot and I had the outer pants going over the boots with perfect fitment.

I am comfortable on the Versys with these boots. I have no issues with shifting. I don't feel a need to readjust the shift lever to a different position.

CONS: If you decide to purchase this boot, please be aware that it's a 50/50 chance you will get a decent boot. Half the time, there are some slight issues with the soles not being aligned correct, the glue isn't enough or too excessive, or in some areas of the boots, the threading is terrible.

Let me know if you're interested in pictures. I don't mind putting the pants and boots on.

EDIT: Protection on the boot is about moderate. The area that is bendable are the leather areas by the ankle sliders. It takes a bit of force to bend the boot 90 degrees to both sides. Walking is pretty comfortable. Maybe 40% robot like.

EDIT #2 : If you own pants with mesh inner linings, I would avoid Cortech Latigos. They have side velcros that you need to open to gain access to the zippers. If you're not careful when putting on or taking off the boots, some velcro may grab some of the mesh linings. Overtime, the mesh will wear and tear.

Last edited by TaiDinh; 10-15-2014 at 06:56 PM.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 07:37 PM

I have had good luck with the Alpinestars Tech 2s.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpi...s-tech-2-boots

I have had motocross boots since I was 15, so I am used to wearing this style of boot. The toe box offers massive protection, so if you want to feel the shifter like you can with street shoes, look else ware. They are a short motocross boots with a lower cut-out that enables easy shifts and touching the ground on tall bikes. The soles are built for standing on pegs, but not walking, which is why I like them. These are all about foot and ankle protection. I also had to tweek the shifter with these like you did, and they are not incredibly waterproof. They can take a splash, but there are screened vents on the sides for cooling. I have a set of covers that I wear over them when it rains.

I use the Tech 2s on my Versys sport bike. I have the taller Tech 5s for use on my dual sport bike.

Last edited by jmarleau; 10-15-2014 at 07:57 PM.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 08:35 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i personally just wear military tactical boots.... but thats just me lol
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 08:50 PM

Garage
I love my TCX Gore-Tex adventure boots. Never a wet foot anymore after buying these.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplitude View Post
So, obviously this being very subjective. Who makes the best Boots, for the riding position of the Versys. I am looking for something comfortable, with some ankle protection, good flex so no MX boots, easy to walk around in, but will also work for most seasons. I'm 6'2" 210lbs and a size 11 depending on the manufacturer.

The last pair of boots I had were a $250 pair of Cruiser style icons for my FZ1 about seven years ago. I didn't like the fact that I had to adjust the hell out of the shift lever to be able to even get my toes in there. I had to adjust it up so far, that if I was to ride with normal street shoes I could barely manage the upshift, and had to almost take my foot completely off the peg and use my midsole for the downshift. I don't want that here.

I'm always looking for a good deal, but am willing to pay for quality if there is a distinct advantage. I've already learned the hard way, the necessity of a good boot, and good riding gear in general. I want something that is as good for around town, as it is for long trips.
Just wanted to add a related comment.

The big danger for riders is having a foot or ankle crushed under the bike or getting the foot trapped and then getting dragged along by a sliding bike. If you have SW-Motech crash bars this cannot happen has they leave some space for your foot and ankle under the bike with the bike on it's side.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-15-2014 at 10:32 PM.
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
My boots are BMW gore tex boots and is a touring boot so comfortable to spend time walking in but would always recommend any boots that have gore tex in them, keep feet warm in freezing conditions and breath well in very hot conditions as well as the waterproof properties that allow air through but not moisture.
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 11:53 PM

I have A-Stars Scouts and A-Stars Black tops. The black tops are very comfortable and I often wear them through the day at work. Scouts for longer rides, esp. If any non-blacktop will be involved.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have Forma Nero Weatherproof Leather touring boots.
Can be work all day without sore feet.
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 09:35 AM

I've been wearing a pair of these since 2005, and haven't worn them out yet. Comfortable, walk around in them all day, numerous rain rides completely dry, low at the toe for easy shifter access and feel, and in line my budget. In fact, mine are the original WP that preceded the new "2.0”.

http://www.compacc.com/p/tourmaster-...oad-boots-mens

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I've been wearing a pair of these since 2005, and haven't worn them out yet. Comfortable, walk around in them all day, numerous rain rides completely dry, low at the toe for easy shifter access and feel, and in line my budget. In fact, mine are the original WP that preceded the new "2.0.

http://www.compacc.com/p/tourmaster-...oad-boots-mens
Yep, I have a pair looks just like these except their an Italian brand. No matter they are as you say "comfortable to walk around in". That is one the most important things to consider for sure. Great price too for a pair of boots you can get 10 years out of..
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 08:58 PM

Garage
ICON Reign weatherproof touring boots. These were about $190 at my local dealer.

and Oneal Rider MX boots that I have taken on as daily riders. These were under $100 from our site sponsor, Rider's Discount.

Always trust your cape.
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 09:13 PM

Revzilla voted these a best buy (ZLA award winner) in the all around touring boot category.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-17-2015 at 12:34 AM.
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 10:09 PM

So I recently did my boot research. Wanted waterproof boots that were more comfortable than my serious track-day roadracing boots but still provided more protection than touring boots usually do. I considered the Alpinestars Web boots mentioned above, and seriously looked at the TCX X Five, also mentioned above. I ended up getting the Dainese TRQ-Tour Gore-Tex boots shown in the video in the post above.

They are not cheap, but they provide more protection than any other boot I've seen that does not have toe sliders (i.e., track boots). I liked the TCX boots but I could bend them sideways like paper. The TRQs are reinforced so it's hard to bend them sideways, but I can still walk in them. Add shin, heel and ankle protection and they provide the most protection I've seen short of a racing or off-road boot.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode