"Best" riding boots for the Versys - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
like saddlebag I too crashed..and I was wearing cheap motorcycle boots..like "Bates"...PLEASE do not wear cheap boots...If you have this over riding urge to walk around for hours when you're not riding your bike..take those boots with you and CHANGE...if you don't wear shin and knee protectors..your boots should have shin protectors at the very least (lace up boots are a definite NO NO)...The pegs on our Versys are placed to get your shins...Bates boots and their like do not provide proper ankle protection...Don't think your ankles are important for all of that walking around you want to do?? Remember..You are riding a motorcycle..NOT on a hike...

Well I stand corrected. I'll check Cycle Gear's boots out closer. When I looked at them the first few times, they did not seem all that stout; and in fact seemed a little cheesy. Bates make boots for US Army lightweight Goretex infantry boots, warehouse boots (w/o steel toes - takes a lot of injurious impacts), and old school motorcycle boots (they were all that was before new tech age - i.e. not light weight boots in protection.)

But with my load around town, I am next the weight limit capacity already. I ride 7/365, so riding is not just a weekend or vacation thing. I did a round trip to LA and back before 9am this morning (80 miles.) I can ill-afford to carry walking or riding boots around with me (I've got sooo much crap already), nor can I walk with anything less supportive than Vibram sole boots (because they tote the same 400 lb capacity load my bike carries too!) Let me get back to you by next week and check the ankle protection, etc... Thanks for the feedback.

Also, I already have the Joe Rocket textile (Airborne) coat and pants with pads, but only thick leather ankle protection and solid Vibram sole structure.

Last edited by kawdog; 01-22-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 07:04 PM

Alpinestars "Roam"
BiLT "Explorer"
BiLT "Pro Tourer"

All waterproof, walk around comfortable, good protection, good prices.

2014 Valkyrie 1800
post #43 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texrider View Post
Alpinestars "Roam"
BiLT "Explorer"
BiLT "Pro Tourer"

All waterproof, walk around comfortable, good protection, good prices.
Thanks Tex! At least 2 of those are at Cycle Gear. I go to them and Moto Helmets, but I mainly get tires bought and put on ($30 each tire installed on bike and they are about same tire price as Rocky Mountain ATV (plus tax)!) at Moto Helmets exclusively: all else at Cycle Gear.

post #44 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 09:11 PM
djg

I have a few pairs of boots, but I usually wear my old used ebay Sidi Discos. Sort of a compromise. The current Sidi Adventure boot is similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	59514  
post #45 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 09:44 PM

XEAdventure boots like the Sidi on Road or Canyon work great! If you can tolerate a smoother sole, race boots will offer slightly more protection but limited traction on loose surfaces. Motocross boots are too stiff IMO.

In my experience Gore Tex is ideal for cooler weather or rain and breaths much better than similar breathable water proof barriers plus has a life time guarantee. Only issue is that i find my feet can get a bit hot above 85F/30C without lots of airflow from perforated boots.

I've seen Bilt, Tourmaster and other off brand boots and they are not comparable to the Italian brands like Alpine Stars, Sidi, TCX or Dainese. They are not even in the same ball park. The difference is in the details. The Italian brands design and manufacture their boots in Italy. Pretty much everyone else orders a shipping container full from China and stamps a brand name on it.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-02-2015 at 10:03 PM.
post #46 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
XEAdventure boots like the Sidi on Road or Canyon work great! If you can tolerate a smoother sole, race boots will offer slightly more protection but limited traction on loose surfaces. Motocross boots are too stiff IMO.

In my experience Gore Tex is ideal for cooler weather or rain and breaths much better than similar breathable water proof barriers plus has a life time guarantee. Only issue is that i find my feet can get a bit hot above 85F/30C without lots of airflow from perforated boots.

I've seen Bilt, Tourmaster and other off brand boots and they are not comparable to the Italian brands like Alpine Stars, Sidi, TCX or Dainese. They are not even in the same ball park. The difference is in the details. The Italian brands design and manufacture their boots in Italy. Pretty much everyone else orders a shipping container full from China and stamps a brand name on it.
plus one
post #47 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 04:34 PM

I've had a pair of Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex for about 13 years. They are still comfortable. I have walked around Daytona and Sturgis during bike week for many hours and these are very comfortable.I did put a gel sole in them which helped tremendously.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #48 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 03:51 PM

Red Wing motorcycle boots

Made in USA and still going strong after 15 years. Steel toe, steel shank and heavy leather, rain no problem and neither cold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RedWingMC.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	62393  
post #49 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 11:56 AM

I have the Gianni Falco Mixto, very pleased with it, they are really comfy and could walk around al day with them. tried lots of brands, but the Gianni falco was the only one that I liked from the start, they fit like a glove :-).
waterproof, not to hot(in summer) and not to cold( in winter)

You can find a review of these boots on webbikeworld

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...o-mixto-boots/

Mine are the Mixto like on webbikeworld, there now is the mixto 2, don't know about those ones
post #50 of 63 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 12:01 AM

What about these?

Just saw these on revzilla. Has anyone heard of this brand? Any good? This boot looks good on paper but you never know.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/f...-harmony-boots
post #51 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 07:55 AM

I know this is an older post but I am grateful for all the info.

This morning I ended up pulling the trigger on these. I'll let everyone know how they fare.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/t...-gore-tex-boot

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green
post #52 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-Steady View Post
I have had a pair of the TCX X-Five Waterproof boots for 2 riding seasons now.
Right at $200.
Those used to be Oxtars. I have a pair from that era too. They are good, but way overpriced compared to the competition. A year or so ago, I bought a pair of generic waterproof boots made for Competition Accessories from some Chinese company for $69 and they are every bit as good as the Oxtars.

The most comfortable boot of that type that I ever had was a set of Firstgears. They lasted for a decade or so of regular use too. I still use them to til up the garden in the spring, but the zipper on one is shot. Anyway, they got out of the boot selling biz for a while. Not sure if they are marketing them again or not. Between the two pairs I have, I figure I'll be good for another decade or so.
post #53 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 06:28 AM

MY TCX Air Tech Gore-Tex Boots came in yesterday.

I was in them for a couple of hours last night and let me just say that riding boots in general are an absolute joy compared to hiking boots. My feet were much calmer on the pegs as I could feel foot placement.

They do fit true to size. I wear an 11 and bought a 45. I do have a bit wider foot and the width of my foot is snug but in no way pinched.

It was 93F yesterday when I went out for my second ride of the day. Lots of town start and stop traffic. My feet were comfortable in spite of the temps. They don't have massive air moving through them like a mesh jacket, but they are clearly laying off heat and moisture. The marketing hype says that the Gore-Tex XCR is supposedly far more breathable than normal Gore-Tex. Bottom line was that I didn't have to wring out my socks when I took my boots off. And I was wearing cotton socks.

No word yet on how well they shed/prevent water.

Oh and walking in them is OK but I wouldn't want to do 10 miles in them. Clip-clop.

Last edited by Zoomie; 07-18-2015 at 06:37 AM.
post #54 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
MY TCX Air Tech Gore-Tex Boots came in yesterday.

I was in them for a couple of hours last night and let me just say that riding boots in general are an absolute joy compared to hiking boots. My feet were much calmer on the pegs as I could feel foot placement.

They do fit true to size. I wear an 11 and bought a 45. I do have a bit wider foot and the width of my foot is snug but in no way pinched.

It was 93F yesterday when I went out for my second ride of the day. Lots of town start and stop traffic. My feet were comfortable in spite of the temps. They don't have massive air moving through them like a mesh jacket, but they are clearly laying off heat and moisture. The marketing hype says that the Gore-Tex XCR is supposedly far more breathable than normal Gore-Tex. Bottom line was that I didn't have to wring out my socks when I took my boots off. And I was wearing cotton socks.

No word yet on how well they shed/prevent water.

Oh and walking in them is OK but I wouldn't want to do 10 miles in them. Clip-clop.
Update on these after another 400 miles and a hella rain storm.

In spite of insane temps here, they do a phenomenal job of throwing off heat. Yes my feet get warm, but never hot, wet, and swampy.

Also had a mountain rain storm blow in from nowhere that was ridiculous. I was soaked to the bone through my mesh, but my feet were bone dry.

Im loving these boots.

post #55 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 10:23 AM

I'm riding with Forma adventure boots these days super comfortable. flexible enough to walk around in without feeling like I'm clip clopping, good protection, and waterproof.

they are a little more motocross styled than those tcx air tech.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/f...dventure-boots

Last edited by kohburn; 07-31-2015 at 10:26 AM.
post #56 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 06:13 AM

I wear Dainese Street Biker Airs for commuting because they have plenty of support, are perforated, and don't look like you're a character from Tron when you're walking in to work. For touring, I still have to figure out a good touring boot, but I also don't have proper riding pants (I'm usually just in jeans around town, but if I'm out on the open road I usually have chaps on unless it's ridiculously hot).
post #57 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 10:40 AM

"Motorcycle" boot generally suck for everything except riding a motorcycle. When I ride my motorcycles I am going somewhere. I need something that is somewhat socially acceptable and easy to walk in. My go to boot are generally issue military boots. They come in every conceivable size, are reasonably priced, good quality, made in the good ole USA and come in a variety of styles, cold weather, waterproof, desert, etc. They offer reasonable protection and meet the requirements for riding on military installations.
post #58 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I love my TCX Gore-Tex adventure boots. Never a wet foot anymore after buying these.
How have these held up? Looking at buying a pair.
post #59 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
Update on these after another 400 miles and a hella rain storm.

In spite of insane temps here, they do a phenomenal job of throwing off heat. Yes my feet get warm, but never hot, wet, and swampy.

Also had a mountain rain storm blow in from nowhere that was ridiculous. I was soaked to the bone through my mesh, but my feet were bone dry.

Im loving these boots.
How are these doing now? A year later.
post #60 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 11:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackImpact View Post
How have these held up? Looking at buying a pair.
Very well. I have ridden in all conditions and they remained waterproof and comfortable.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode