"Best" riding boots for the Versys - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 11:25 PM

SIDI Crossfire T/A if you want protection and comfort. Doesn't take long to get used to the swivel ankle. Lots of bones in those feet, better to be safe than have regrets.

I have a friend who is a MD but was too cheap to buy good boots, he crashed in NZ on a moto trip and now he walks like a duck. Good boots= Cheap insurance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
i personally just wear military tactical boots.... but thats just me lol
+1 (I got some decent ones that have been comfortable to walk in for $50. I got the cheaper ones, tho' you can go from $30 - $250). Plus, the ones I've got have a side opening, which makes them easier to get on and off (I like kickin' 'em off like projectiles when the Hell's Angels start getting close).

Last edited by kawdawg; 10-16-2014 at 11:51 PM.
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 10:10 AM

I wear TCX X-Move boots for most of my riding.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-move-wp-boots

I wear these all day at work and they are as comfortable as any normal shoe. They're waterproof as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic

post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcycle View Post

I wear these all day at work and they are as comfortable as any normal shoe. They're waterproof as well.
+1...I too wear TCX X-Move boots and love them..
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 10:03 PM
MTS

Tourmaster Solution WP Air 2.0 Boot Review!

The least amount of $.

Not the best!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 03:06 PM

I alternate between my old Justin western style boots and some Vasque hiking boots. Since I'm 5'10" and never did a lowering kit or a lowered seat, the extra inch on the heel and sole gives me just a little more reach. I've been looking for something a little taller than the discussion here. I don't want you guys to think I'm going HD on you, but has anyone had luck with the Milwaukee MCC stuff. or any of the Bates boots sold by JP Cycles?

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
I alternate between my old Justin western style boots and some Vasque hiking boots. Since I'm 5'10" and never did a lowering kit or a lowered seat, the extra inch on the heel and sole gives me just a little more reach. I've been looking for something a little taller than the discussion here. I don't want you guys to think I'm going HD on you, but has anyone had luck with the Milwaukee MCC stuff. or any of the Bates boots sold by JP Cycles?
I wear either Danner Mountain Light hiking boots, or Chippewa Loggers. I'm 5'9 and can flat foot the V in the loggers easily. Both are comfortable, but it takes a bit of getting used to shifting in the Chippewas due to the steal toes.

IBA 12512

Last edited by Harpeaux; 12-28-2014 at 12:08 AM.
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 06:57 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcycle View Post

These look awesome! I wear shifts for my day trip good weather boots. Love them but they don't make them any more so these look great. Thanks!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I've been looking at boots recently (I'm 5'9..and like to have a thicker sole on my boots too)...First of all let me say I had a "hot" corner incident last summer while wearing a pair of tall Bilt boots..kind of a Harley style..front lace up..big lug soles and heel...My left leg will not let me buy a "cheap" set of boots like that again...Most of my injuries were in the shin and foot areas and would've been avoided with a good pair of boots...
The first thing you should be looking for is PROTECTION...On our Versys you should be looking for something that provides shin protection..the foot pegs will get your legs...I looked at Bates and Milwaukee boots (before I screwed up and bought the Bilts)..they're good boots..but have no ankle protection..or heel box (I'm not sure if they have toe boxes..maybe some steel toes)..so "I" can't recommend them...I've been looking at Moto boots as they have thick soles and really good shin protectors..and fairly good price ranges...
I'll admit..I'm a All the Gear All the Time (atgatt) kind of guy...You won't see me riding around in a T-shirt..gloveless..and with cheap footwear...You won't find too much in the way of boots that's cheap and provides good protection also...

post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Depending on where and why I'm riding, I choose WHICH pair of boots I'll wear. Obviously I wear the ANSWER RACING MX boots riding dirt, the black (waterproof) BiLTs for rain, the other BiLTs are spares for when my (go-to-boots) the red-and-white GAERNE boots finally die.... Had THEM for at least 10 years so far, second set of soles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	riding boots.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	58121  

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #31 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 01:29 PM

Harpeax and Chadam, after doing a bunch of research, and wanting to have waterproof, but breathable, some protection, and a little height, I'm leaning strong towards the Alpinstars Supertech Touring Gore-Tex boots. (around $250) Lots of boots out there for half the price, but it's amazing how bad the reviews are for many. BTW, being new to this after a 40 year riding hiatus, I am also an ATGATT guy. The comparable Sidi model is about $100 more and the much more protective Sidi's start around $400.

rayj
post #32 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 11:17 AM

I used to work for one of those big online motorcycle company places being a phone jockey. The one with the Z in it and lots of hair product and orange.

As far as boots go here are my findings.
-TCX is the bomb if you have wide feet. They also make a really good product. That's why BMW use them.
-Alpinestars fit me well and I have a narrow long foot. 11.5 if you must ask. I've been using their MX boots for years and the quality of super good.
-Dainese are super pimpin' but the fit is kind of weird. some people say they are skinny but I found the toe box to be a bit wide. Quality reflected by price.
-Sidi: I would say these are middle of the road width wise and you get a good product.
-Icon: The rep told me they make gear for people who wouldn't usually wear gear and the price reflects the quality. I like the look but wouldn't wear a pair. They are also quite wide.
-Joe Rocket: A bucket on my feet. Quality reflected in price.
-Daytona: Certainly quality boots but for the price I would want as lot more bells and whistles. They also have a deceivingly high heel which they successfully use to market to shorter guys. I notice a lot of shorter guys on GS's use them.
-Speed and Strength: Cheap, cheap, cheap.
-Puma: I love them as they fit my foot really well. However some say they are on the heavy side. I didn't notice.
-At the moment I'm using a pair of BKS's. They look suspiciously like a pair of Alpinestars with a few less flashy colors. I picked them Up in the UK last year and for me have been the most comfortable boots I've ever put on Like a pair of hollowed out kittens.

These findings are from me putting my feet in boots so the way they fit me may be different from other. My best advice is to actually try and put boots on your feet before you buy them. If that means going to your local dealer then do it! Everyone has a different foot so find what is comfortable for you. Not what a salesman tells you to like. You certainly pay more for better quality and not everyone has $600 for a pair of boots. I don't! But your much better off with them than not. My first pair was a pair of Teknic's that were $50 on mega sale but they saved my feet a few months later. Also, If anyone has any gear questions I will be more than happy to answer as best I can. I'm a bit of a gear nerd.

Now to get on my soap box!

ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME!!!! I have seen what happens when you don't. Its cheaper than a hospital bill!

Also! Don't go to a dealership to try stuff on and buy it somewhere else for $4.75 cheaper. They are trying to run a business and in the long run its always good to have a relationship with the guys at your local dealership.
raverson likes this.
post #33 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarshread View Post
-TCX is the bomb if you have wide feet. They also make a really good product. That's why BMW use them.
My first pair of purpose made, rain proof, motorcycle boots were made by Firstgear. They lasted about a decade, never leaked a drop, and were as comfy as an old shoe...I still use them every spring to til the garden.

Because of the age and appearance of the Firstgears, and because at the time they had quit offering a riding boot, I decided to get a set of Oxtars, since changed to TCX. These were about 2.5 times the price. They too have been good and waterproof, but I didn't find them as comfy and I do have wide feet. It's the leather in front of the ankle area. When I walk it bends in and irritates my leg. Nothing major, just not as nice as the Firstgears. I see nothing about the construction that should make them any more expensive.

I recently got a pair of no names for $69. They seem to be made as well as the previous two pairs, but I haven't ridden in the rain long and hard enough to determine if they are as dry. They are quite comfy.

My friend had Sidis and he claimed they were barely water resistant let alone waterproof.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that it's been my experience that paying extra for the brand name isn't always a better value. Particularly when it comes to these boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarshread View Post
ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME!!!! I have seen what happens when you don't. Its cheaper than a hospital bill!
I recently got out of the local trauma unit. Hit a very large deer who decided to use me to commit suicide. I was traveling about 60 mph. I had just washed the bike and was just taking it for a quick jaunt (~10 miles) around the country back roads to dry it off before I put it away before a coming cold spell. I was wearing sweats, tennis shoes, gloves, and a 3/4 helmet.

No question about it, the helmet saved my life. No way my noggin could have taken the pounding it did. And when my body was finished dissipating the energy in the form of bouncing down the pavement, I was completely awake and coherent to enjoy my new found pain.

Had I been wearing my gear, I surely could have saved myself a good deal of road rash. As road rash goes, I guess I got lucky. The nurses told me they often get 3rd degree burn variety that essentially removes the skin altogether. Mine was ugly, but not all that painful and heeled up within about a month.

My right leg took the brunt of the impact. My ankle fractured where it was holding against the brake pedal (cruiser style bike). My knee had various torn ligaments and cartilage from extension and twisting forces. My femur split in two near the hip. I surmise it hit the handlebar as I began my flight over the deer. Unfortunately, my gear wouldn't have changed a thing about any of that I'm afraid. We participate in a dangerous activity. Gear is nice, but it's no substitute for hospitals...

Just a note on EMTs. They took scissors to my clothes and stripped me naked as a Jaybird before I got my ride to see the nurses. I didn't really care about the sweats I was wearing, but I would have been livid if he started cutting thru my expensive road swag!

Last edited by saddlebag; 12-30-2014 at 08:43 PM.
post #34 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 09:15 AM

Gnarshread, thanks for the great reviews.

Saddlebag, sorry to hear of you accident, but glad you made it.

rayj
post #35 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 11:59 AM

Saddlebag. Damn dude! I'm so sorry to hear that. It always so frightening to hear about bad crashes like that but I am super happy to hear your OK. I agree with you that we are part of a dangerous sport but I will still be wearing as much gear as I can. I hope you can get back out there and enjoy a ride soon.

As for the leaky boot situation, any company worth their reputation will happily warranty gear. They might ask you to send them back thus leaving you without boots. In this case explain to them your extreme displeasure in having to ride without boots and how unsafe that is and ask them to send a new pair at the same time you ship yours. Most company's will happily do that. Take photos of the boots its great to have evidence. Just don't yell at the poor phone jockey on the other end. I've been there and it makes you want to hang yourself.

When a pair of boots are constructed to be "waterproof" manufacturers use a few different techniques. Some attempt impregnate the boot with something along the lines of 3M spray and seal the seams. this isn't exactly the best. As you articulate the seams open and close and its a bit of a joke. Water resistant at best. The other way to do it is to back the exterior with a barrier of some kind. These come in varying degrees quality and construction. Everything from trash bag material to Gore Tex. Some of these can deteriorate quickly as the boot is used. The guys at Gore Tex are honestly the most quality concerned. To produce anything using their product you must use their machinery and their technical specifications (which can be a hindrance if you want vents) then the product must be tested in their rain rooms before being allowed to be distributed. I believe (and I may be wrong here) but Fieldsheer uses carbolex which I don't know a lot about. Its can be hard to pin down exactly what each manufacturer uses for waterproofing as they like to use different names to differentiate themselves from the opposition.

At the end of the day, Its what is comfortable. If you like to wear your boots your going to put them on and use them.
post #36 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Harpeax and Chadam, after doing a bunch of research, and wanting to have waterproof, but breathable, some protection, and a little height, I'm leaning strong towards the Alpinstars Supertech Touring Gore-Tex boots. (around $250)
Turns out these were their top of the line street boot, and they have been discontinuted. You can get this price from places that have 1 or 2 left, or pay $360 for a place that still has a selection. A local dealer got me in a couple of pair of Alpinestars new models for 2015 and I'm going to try them on today. The Gore-Tex still carries a premium, but they have to meet Gore's design requirements. I'll commenbt after I try the now boots.

rayj
post #37 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 03:27 PM

I like the Vibram soled Goretex topped army like boots (8" or maybe 10" depending on available deals) from Bates (Black is good for many uses.) They are sturdy, they are podiactric approved, and you can walk on them for miles and miles (even on concrete!!). I always keep 2 sets so I always got a dry pair. I can get a size 14 on ebay with a defect maybe for about $100 plus or minus $20. And if the leather parts are challenged from the rain, 3m waterproof/uv ray spray to the rescue: like after washing a waterproof textile jacket, priceless.

It just doesn't make sense to ride somewhere and not be able to walk without other shoes/boots. And Vibram lightweight goretex (Bates) army boots are the very best to walk on any surface

The one thing I'd like to get from the motocross vendors is those knee/leg braces! They have $5K orthopedic knee/leg braces for about $150, but better technology!! Trying them on online may be a couple of shipments later, but what a deal. Most of those guys won't charge you shipping again and you will just have to ship it back once
post #38 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdawg View Post
+1 (I got some decent ones that have been comfortable to walk in for $50. I got the cheaper ones, tho' you can go from $30 - $250). Plus, the ones I've got have a side opening, which makes them easier to get on and off (I like kickin' 'em off like projectiles when the Hell's Angels start getting close).
The problem with non motorcycle boots like military tactical boots is they have no ankle protection. They're better than sneakers but not by a large margin. They offer little help if the bike lands on your foot or you slide with the bike on top of your foot. They are also less effective shifting, braking and supporting your weight on the pegs as thin, stiff soled, shanked, motorcycle boots.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-20-2015 at 11:07 AM.
post #39 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 02:00 PM

Review - Alpinestars New Boot for 2015

Picked up a pair of the Mono Fuse Gore - Tex by Alpinestars yesterday from Sport Tour. Medium height, good wrap around front leather top area that attaches with velcro, ribbed front section, standard height water proof soles and heels. This one also has a single ratchet style tightening system with a strap across the back and the mechanics embedded on the outside to protect the talus bone sticking out at your ankle. Being able to chinch down the area at the front of the anckle really keeps your foot in the heel box for walking. Very comfortable, but have not had out on the road yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpinestars boots.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	59178  

rayj
post #40 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
I like the Vibram soled Goretex topped army like boots (8" or maybe 10" depending on available deals) from Bates (Black is good for many uses.) They are sturdy, they are podiactric approved, and you can walk on them for miles and miles (even on concrete!!).

It just doesn't make sense to ride somewhere and not be able to walk without other shoes/boots. And Vibram lightweight goretex (Bates) army boots are the very best to walk on any surface
like saddlebag I too crashed..and I was wearing cheap motorcycle boots..like "Bates"...PLEASE do not wear cheap boots...If you have this over riding urge to walk around for hours when you're not riding your bike..take those boots with you and CHANGE...if you don't wear shin and knee protectors..your boots should have shin protectors at the very least (lace up boots are a definite NO NO)...The pegs on our Versys are placed to get your shins...Bates boots and their like do not provide proper ankle protection...Don't think your ankles are important for all of that walking around you want to do?? Remember..You are riding a motorcycle..NOT on a hike...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode