What GIVI Sidebags do you use? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

What GIVI Sidebags do you use?

Hi all.. I need help trying to decide what GIVI bags to buy for my Versys.

I know there are a lot of options out there, but its hard to compare them when there are no bike specific pictures of the look contour of them on the V.

Can people who have GIVI HARD CASE SIDE BAGS please post which they have, why they chose them, and pictures from different angles? I know that mostly all of the side bags use the PLR side racks EXCEPT for the V35's which use the PLRX system.

I think I may be leaning towards the PLR capable bags only because there are more options down the road while V35s are the only ones for the PLRX version.

Anyway -- let me know!

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:54 AM

V35's because (a) they hold a lot, including a full face helmet, (b) they look like they belong on the bike, and (c) the previous owner had already put them on!

(Still would be my choice for the first two reasons.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Reading Material:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 AM

I really like my E21's for the size. They keep the bike narrow for around town in traffic and the part I like best is the top opening feature, don't have to take them off and on to get into them. This also makes them 100% waterproof.
They give plenty of room fow what I use them for, a few tools, extra gloves, picking up a few groceries or a box of wine
When I do a longer trip I fill them up and just strap a duffle bag across the back no problem.

2013 Versys1000

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-COASTER View Post
I really like my E21's for the size. They keep the bike narrow for around town in traffic and the part I like best is the top opening feature, don't have to take them off and on to get into them. This also makes them 100% waterproof.
They give plenty of room fow what I use them for, a few tools, extra gloves, picking up a few groceries or a box of wine
When I do a longer trip I fill them up and just strap a duffle bag across the back no
Thanks for posting! These are interesting.. a cheap option for sure!

I like the fact that they are really far back. My one concern is - with the V35's or Trekkers, or any other 35L bag is if I can still ride 2 up with them..

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post

I like the fact that they are really far back. My one concern is - with the V35's or Trekkers, or any other 35L bag is if I can still ride 2 up with them..
Keep in mind that you don't want anything up too high or back too far on a motorcycle. Decentralizing mass will affect how your bike handles. I'm not so sure that any of the bags pictured so far are really that far back, however. In general, keep mass down rather than up, and centered rather than forward or aft.

As far as two up riding, the location of panniers is such that they should not be in the way of your pillion's legs. My daughter had no issues riding on the back of my Versys with V35's.

Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Reading Material:

Last edited by Bones; 05-08-2012 at 12:48 PM.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Keep in mind that you don't want anything up too high or back too far on a motorcycle. Decentralizing mass will affect how your bike handles. I'm not so sure that any of the bags pictured so far are really that far back, however. In general, keep mass down rather than up, and centered rather than forward or aft.

As far as two up riding, the location of panniers is such that they should not be in the way of your pillion's legs. My daughter had no issues riding on the back of my Versys with V35's.
Great info -- thanks bones! Do you ever get worried that Givi only offers the V35s for your rack? Meaning that, lets say you wanted Trekkers, or a smaller bag, that you can't use them?

Farkles:

post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:56 PM

I had E21's two-Versys's ago. They reminded me of a $10 walmart file box.

This go round, I got E45 Jr (plain looking bags) from TwistedThrottle. $140 ea
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/1876/862/

Daytimes or when my PC is on:

http://www.tontodonato.com/images/Versys/Trunk_640.jpg

http://www.tontodonato.com/images/Ve...ar11_1_640.jpg

I had the optional backrest on the one I used as a trunk.

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)

Last edited by hdatontodo; 05-08-2012 at 12:58 PM.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 03:06 PM

When everything shows up, I'll have a E52 Maxia trunk box (primary) and a pair of E41's for when I need more room. I decided against the the V35's as they have a different mount from the rest of the Givi line.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 05:06 PM

OEM (V35) and an E450 top box. I do not feel any changes in the handling of the bike due to the cases. Not even fully loaded for a multiday trip makes much of a difference. However, I'm used to them since I do not remove them for everyday riding. The bike does not look right with just the racks

Don't put bricks in them and you'll be ok.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 06:15 PM

I've got Givi E21s mounted on SW Motech racks. No good pics of the luggage but V-COASTER has already covered that.
I chose them because I wanted top loading bags because there is less chance of leaks and you can pile them full without fighting gravity to get them closed. The bags are always on when I commute so I didnt need or want huge bags. I have a top rack for the odd occasion I have to carry something that wont fit in the E21s. The price point on the E21s was also a factor but not as important as the lid on top. The truth is Im not a huge fan of the way the E21s look but function was more important for me. I really like the way the V35s look but I steered away from the PLRX system because I felt it was too limiting as far as bag options.
Dont lock yourself into Givi. No doubt they make great stuff but there are other options worth a look, depending on your needs.

Last edited by ray h; 05-08-2012 at 06:20 PM.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 06:38 PM

I had the V35s on my 08, and decided to go with trekkers on my 11 which I have yet to pick up, hance no pics of the trekkers yet.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
I had the V35s on my 08, and decided to go with trekkers on my 11 which I have yet to pick up, hance no pics of the trekkers yet.

Can you explain why the switch? This is the exact decision I am trying to make !!!

Farkles:

post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:03 PM

I had a set of the E-21's laying around, so I went with them.

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:10 PM

Wow, it's funny this topic just came up. I ordered - just yesterday - a set of the E41's with the SW Motech Quick lock Evo style side carriers (plus Givi adapters), and the SW Motech Alu top rack (plus the Givi adapter plate). Very soon (after Mother's Day, actually), I plan on ordering the E55 Maxia top case. According to a bunch of comparisons between the Givi and the SW Motech hardware, the SW Motech equipment is significantly more heavy duty than the Givi stuff for mounting. I wanted the quick lock side carriers so the bags and side hardware can come off the bike when I just want to ride. As far as the sizes, I figured "it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." I wanted the E41's for their top loading function, but need room to store the things I need to bring for work. The E55, again, has the most room with the nicest style for my liking. It would be nice if Givi actually included brake/running/ AND turn signal functions with their bags, but alas, we are denied. Now if only I can find some quick disconnect mini-weatherproof connectors, I'll be able to try out Capn' Kirk's LED install!
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA6TubThumper View Post
Now if only I can find some quick disconnect mini-weatherproof connectors, I'll be able to try out Capn' Kirk's LED install!
How about a flat 4 trailer wiring male and female connector?
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 PM

What GIVI Sidebags do you use? Reply to Thread

The Molex (4 way flat) connectors are too big and bulky for my liking. Plus, how do you conveniently store them when not in use? If Admore actually SHOWED what kind of connectors they have, then we'd be talking! I just can't stomach the $288 (before shipping) I'd have to spend on both sets of lighting for all the cases.
...sorry everyone... didn't mean to hijack the thread.....
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:20 PM

Great thread, as I am trying to decide the very same thing right now.
I was looking at the Trax luggage, Pelican/Seahorse style setup, and Givi.
None of these is exactly inexpensive. So I plan to go with Givi's, and I was comparing three.
What I read and saw so far on several forums is while the E21's initially look cheap, performance is excellent, price is good, and they are perfect for commuting. The Givi V35's may look the best, but I don't like the side loading, a little too "wide" for me, and my XL helmet may not fit in them anyways. Plus you have to get the PLXR rails and only the v35 bags will work on them. These are about $330 more than the e21'S. Next is the Givi E41, those look good, but are huge! If you have the money the E21 and E41 will work on the same rack.

For me I think I am going with the Givi E21'S. I think sporttour.com has about the best deal on them.
Their site explains which rack system you need also. I am planning to go without the top rack/box, and you have
to buy the additional kit from what I saw. I think the total was $442.OO for the pair of cases, rack and no top box kit.

Sorry to ramble, just wanted to share my thoughts

Last edited by MarkPMB; 05-08-2012 at 10:23 PM.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 PM

Look at this ones ($1K)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6195 (640x360).jpg
Views:	259
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	14585  
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone have any pictures of their V with the following bags:

E41 KEYLESS
E36
E360

Looks like these are the only ones remaining out of them all. I am thinking maybe the E36 would be a good middle ground? Not sure

Farkles:

post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPMB View Post
Great thread, as I am trying to decide the very same thing right now.
I was looking at the Trax luggage, Pelican/Seahorse style setup, and Givi.
None of these is exactly inexpensive. So I plan to go with Givi's, and I was comparing three.
What I read and saw so far on several forums is while the E21's initially look cheap, performance is excellent, price is good, and they are perfect for commuting. The Givi V35's may look the best, but I don't like the side loading, a little too "wide" for me, and my XL helmet may not fit in them anyways. Plus you have to get the PLXR rails and only the v35 bags will work on them. These are about $330 more than the e21'S. Next is the Givi E41, those look good, but are huge! If you have the money the E21 and E41 will work on the same rack.

For me I think I am going with the Givi E21'S. I think sporttour.com has about the best deal on them.
Their site explains which rack system you need also. I am planning to go without the top rack/box, and you have
to buy the additional kit from what I saw. I think the total was $442.OO for the pair of cases, rack and no top box kit.

Sorry to ramble, just wanted to share my thoughts
I don't think you will be dissapointed with the E21's. They are great value compared to some others and I have never needed any more space for what i use them for. The top loading is a great feature as well as the compactness.
I believe my Twisted Throttle package was around $450.00 for everything so not bad compared to some others.

2013 Versys1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode