What GIVI Sidebags do you use? - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 06:22 PM

I don't think that you absolutely have to relocate the turn signals if you do the monokey racks, but I would definitely recommend it. At least with the trekker bags if you don't relocate them then with the bags on you'd have to be directly behind the bike to see the turn signals. Not exactly the safest situation.

The racks come with the brackets for relocation, and it really only takes 15 to 20 minutes to install them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
Why didnt you just purchase the matte black? They are cheaper than the silver style too

Did you get them with the bike?
Yes I got them with the bike. The right side had some deep scratches too. I used JB weld to fill them and then sanded them down to a smooth finish. I saw the Matte Black lids and considered buying a pair. But after this, the results were perfect so new lids were not needed. Cost me $15 to do and I think the texture looks 100Xs better than the Matte Black Smooth ones. Let me know what you think. I'm putting up pics now.

Choppastyle

Life is short, a midget told me that.

Last edited by Choppastyle; 05-14-2012 at 10:51 PM.
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Do you have a photo of how they look? That's a good idea.
I sure do.

Before I Pulled Them Off The Bike:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1163063...77155697577282

After I JB Welded Them and Sanded Them Down:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1163063...76705504618226

After I Painted Them With Texture and Then With Satin Black: $15
https://picasaweb.google.com/1163063...76804947776690
https://picasaweb.google.com/1163063...76908231589922
https://picasaweb.google.com/1163063...77044631938450

Now the Tops and Bottoms Match!!!! You won't get that with the OEM Matte Black Trim Sets. I am one happy camper! I did both sides.

Thank you,

Choppastyle

Last edited by Choppastyle; 05-14-2012 at 09:22 PM.

post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
V35's because (a) they hold a lot, including a full face helmet, (b) they look like they belong on the bike, and (c) the previous owner had already put them on!

(Still would be my choice for the first two reasons.)
+1 Wouldn't want to leave my $500 Arai out in the rain or for people to steal. Tremendous Storage capacity.

post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 PM

Ordered the Givi E21's Matte Black, Givi PLR450 Monokey Rack
and the 450kit for mounting with no top box early Friday
morning from SportTour.com, FedEx dropped my order off today.
I had no issues at all, all items packaged very well, shipped quickly
and complete. (Al items were packaged in an E45 box)
I am very satisifed with SportTour.com.
I have never had any hard luggage on any of my bikes,
so I started with the fairly small E21's.
I did not relocate my rear turn signals. I think they can be seen
fine from the rear. I took a few pics, but it is dark out ...
Better pics later..

post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 12:26 AM

My brother had a E21 on his Orange V in 2008.
Great for channeling through traffic but no space for helmet storage.
Was at a good price, though..

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppastyle View Post
+1 Wouldn't want to leave my $500 Arai out in the rain or for people to steal. Tremendous Storage capacity.
since I already have a gigantic top case I'm looking for side bags for a little bit smaller than the v 35 so I am hoping that e36 will do just fine.

Still looking for anybody that has pictures of the 36

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPMB View Post
Ordered the Givi E21's Matte Black, Givi PLR450 Monokey Rack
and the 450kit for mounting with no top box early Friday
morning from SportTour.com,
I have been waiting to go to the Givi dealer to get mine installed because I heard the directions were so terrible.

How difficult is it to install these racks yourself? Is it just 3 or 4 bolts? Is it complicated at all?

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
since I already have a gigantic top case I'm looking for side bags for a little bit smaller than the v 35 so I am hoping that e36 will do just fine.
Still looking for anybody that has pictures of the 36
Click this link and there is a picture of the E36's

Hard luggage help needed. Givi E45's for the sides.

Quote:
I have been waiting to go to the Givi dealer to get mine installed because I heard the directions were so terrible.

How difficult is it to install these racks yourself? Is it just 3 or 4 bolts? Is it complicated at all?
Directions are horrible, but it really is easy to install. If you have basic mechanical skills it is no problem. I installed the 450 kit in the grab handles first. That replaces the metal brace inside the handles and has the rear monokey attachment point. Then there are two mounting brackets on each side, one on the bottom of the trellis and the other on the upper part of the trellis. In the 450 kit (no top box) there are two spacers that are used on the upper bracket. Leave all four brackets loose until you get the rack attached. Start on the right side, get all the monokeys in then go to the left side. The two racks attach together under/behind the rear fender / license plate. Get all the racks completely attached and then tighten down the lower and upper trellis brackets. You can use the tools in the bikes tool kit to do the install if needed. Just need the small and medium allen wrenches and 12 and 14 mm wrench.

Last edited by MarkPMB; 05-16-2012 at 07:48 AM.
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPMB View Post
Click this link and there is a picture of the E36's

Hard luggage help needed. Givi E45's for the sides.

You are the man! This is PERFECT!!!!! Thanks for finding this thread for me Its awesome to see the direct comparison of the E36 and E42

Farkles:

post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 12:16 PM

I Dunno man, I still think I'd relocate them. No one can see them from the side...

I'll stop bugging you about it though
post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 12:35 AM

Garage
Guess they changed the width of the rear turn signals on the new gen Versys. I installed the exact same cases and racks on my '09, and I HAD to relocate the lights. I didn't like the look at firts, but after just a day or two I never noticed any more. And, they are in a clearly visible location now.

Always trust your cape.
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 09:05 PM

I really like the 'looks' and narrow profile of my E22 side cases, but - - - Something to consider - - -

Took my first ride with the GIVI PLR450 side case mount brackets and the E22 side cases. First of all there was some difficulty getting the brackets attached to my 2014 650 (with the 'Speedy' lowering link). But, after some 'tweaking' in the vice and forcing, I got them attached.

On the ride, with my 130 pound wife on back, I soon found my rear suspension bottoming out on bumps that weren't that severe. It turned out the tire was hitting the center fastener of the GIVI bracket arms that run in front of the rear fender (between the fender and tire, connecting the left and right side assemblies). Fortunately, GIVI had the common sense to bevel the head of this fastener, so there was no tire damage. After cranking up the rear spring preload, I didn't experience any additional bottoming - - - but, I really didn't encounter hardly any bumps that would cause bottoming.

So, keep in mind: You may have to crank up the rear spring preload in some circumstances when using the GIVI PLR450 brackets
post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:05 AM

I bought for the top case a very light used shad 45 liter top case and for side cases I bought the monokey kappa 33 liter side bags same as givi but a little cheaper 225.00 for the pair and the givi rack for them. I did relocate the turn signals wasn't to hard to do. Also have a magnetic tank bag.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:57 PM

I liked the look of the Trekker Bags...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leftside 2a 2014 (300x201).jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	121242  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode