what helmet do you wear? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

what helmet do you wear?

I've had my Shoei RF1000 for the past 6 years and it was time to buy a new helmet. I was surprised how many different options there are. Ranging from $100 to $600, different safety standards, ventilation, noise level, protection etc.

I always wear DOT and SNELL approved helmets but this time I decided to go with 5 star SHARP rating as well. It was hard to find a helmet that satisfies all 3 standards and doesn't make me go broke.
I ended up ordering the AGV GT Veloce. Found it for $190 shipping included. This AGV helmet is designed for an up-right riding position...
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

What helmets do you wear?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	agv gt veloce.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	118546  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:05 PM

Shoei GT-Air

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:42 PM

Shoei hornet x2, most comfortable helmet I've ever worn on the road.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:14 PM
BKP

Arai, Signet-Q Pro Tour.

I'm assuming you tried on the helmet at some local shop?
My perspective is that there are two main criteria for a helmet: 1) Fit. If it doesn't fit comfortably, it doesn't matter what it costs. 2) Noise mitigation. Of course, you also have to factor in windshield effect, but I've found some helmets are more susceptible to buffeting, noise, and just poor acoustic design.

Price comes in 3rd. If it's not comfortable, a $700 lid is useless...

DOT, or even better, ECE certification, is a given. The Arai is Snell certed as well, but until the new 2015 rating, that designation was questionable as to its value...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:59 PM

Schuberth C3 HiViz...I wore Nonlan 104's before...
Wulff81 likes this.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:03 PM

Nolan N90
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:10 PM

HJC IS33.............3/4 cause FF kind of makes me claustrophobic and I have a bitch of a time getting my glasses on and off with the FF.

One of these days I'll try to find a light modular.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaulter View Post
I've had my Shoei RF1000 for the past 6 years and it was time to buy a new helmet. I was surprised how many different options there are. Ranging from $100 to $600, different safety standards, ventilation, noise level, protection etc.

I always wear DOT and SNELL approved helmets but this time I decided to go with 5 star SHARP rating as well. It was hard to find a helmet that satisfies all 3 standards and doesn't make me go broke.
I ended up ordering the AGV GT Veloce. Found it for $190 shipping included. This AGV helmet is designed for an up-right riding position...
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

What helmets do you wear?
How is the vent and noise? I have a Schuberth C3 Pro. It listed for $829, but the local BMW dealership was having a closeout and I picked it up for $499. Its a good helmet with good noise and vent and not heavy. My neighbor gave me his Arai RX-7 Corsair. This helmet is super light with good venting; however, the venting is so good that its pretty noisy. Its a good spare helmet.

A helmet is not something to be cheap about...... Cheap Helmet, cheap head!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 08:11 PM

Currently have a Shoei Qwest Yellow / black "Overt" helmet. Nice, but my previous helmet was a Hornet, which I absolutely loved. I miss the visor, as I'm generally heading into the sun during my commute, and it's handy to just dip my head slightly. The only helmets that have really been comfortable to date have been HJC or Shoei.

My next helmet will probably be a Hornet. The HJC DS-X1 looks nice as well, but it would be nicer if it was ECE approved.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:06 PM

Bought a new bike so I figured I needed a shiny new helmet to go with it. Been a while since I had a new one and I wasn't looking forward to the hit and miss process of getting one that fit my noggin and was comfortable to boot. Thats when I discovered Lidpicker. Costs about 20 bucks. They send you a measurement kit and you enter your measurements on their web site. After they evaluate your measurements they send you an extensive list of compatible helmets. My sweet spot was the Shoei Neotec. Went to CycleGear, tried one on and I was in love with everything but the price. So happened everything in the store was 10% off that day so I bit the bullet and can honestly say its the most comfortable full face helmet ( actually a modular) I have ever owned. Only helmet I have ever had that pushes enough air through the top vent that you can feel it.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:33 PM

I've owned Scorpion, Arai and Bell lids. Scorpion was not bad for an entry level lid. The Arai was the best but also the priciest. The Bell RS1 offered the best compromise of price/performance.

For my oval head shape the Bell RS1 (now sold as the Bell Star base model) offered the best compromise in price/performance and fit. It offers a fit almost comparable to the Arai Signet, for my oval head shape with equivalent venting, weight, and crash protection for a lot less money. IMO Arai has fantastic after sales support and are a great helmet but also grossly overpriced.

webBikeWorld.com - Motorcycle Product Reviews is a great resource for helmets

Lid Picker seems like a great resource for those who don't have access to stores where they can try on multiple models and brands and must purchase sight unseen online. I've found what is a great helmet for someone can be a poor choice for another because of head shape. As an example I cannot get a good fit in a Shoei even though they seem well made and have great reviews.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-05-2017 at 10:44 PM.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:36 PM

Garage
I am oval to intermediate oval. The bell star fits well. I also have a LS2 modular that required some pad changes to fit well.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:53 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
im cheap and and have glasses so i have a IV2 modular helmet that was about$50 as i recall about 6 or 7 years ago

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:34 AM

Garage
Kabuto Ibuki modular... Best money I ever spent, and I am a cheap basturd.
Tried a lot of helmets on at the local Cycle Gear, then took a chance and ordered one of these. Lighter and better fit than any Bell, Shoei, or Arai, at least on my noggin.

Not sure I would get another Modular though... I only ever seem to open it when I am putting it on or taking it off so I am not sure I really need to put up with the extra weight or noise (although this one is pretty quiet!)
May get a Kabuto full face next.

If'n I do it, I gunna git a wippin .... OK! I do it!!!

2015 Versys 650 ABS, 1984 Yamaha FJ600, 1983 KZ750, 1977 CB750a
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 05:59 AM

Garage
I normally wear a Joe Rocket RKT201 carbon fiber full face. But I started working on a military base and needed a modular to keep from having to remove my helmet at the gate. I bought a Bilt Evolution from Cycle Gear, which is actually a really nice helmet. I went cheaper as I figured I'd only wear it to ride to work. Being a glasses wearer, when its time for a new lid, I'm probably going to go with the Shoei Neotec as I seem to like the modular style helmet better. I've tried one on and it seems to fit my head perfectly.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:35 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chuck View Post
Kabuto Ibuki modular... Best money I ever spent, and I am a cheap basturd.
Tried a lot of helmets on at the local Cycle Gear, then took a chance and ordered one of these. Lighter and better fit than any Bell, Shoei, or Arai, at least on my noggin.

Not sure I would get another Modular though... I only ever seem to open it when I am putting it on or taking it off so I am not sure I really need to put up with the extra weight or noise (although this one is pretty quiet!)
May get a Kabuto full face next.
i only open mine when putting it on/ taking it off, but that was the reason for having modular in the first place, i personally wouldnt really ride with it open (would be about as good as a brain bucket and i dont use them) i just like that it opens to get it on and off without having to take off my glasses (might not sound like a big deal but it really makes it SOOOOO much easier and pleasant to deal with
AngryGazebo likes this.

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:55 AM

Garage
I just switched from a HJC IS-Max to a Scorpion EXO-AT950. The HJC was an ok helmet but after ~3 years it was starting to get kinda rattly and it was never a very quiet helmet to begin with. The Scorpion seems to be an all-around better helmet and didn't break the bank. I was originally looking at the Shark Evoline 3 for it's "unique" features but the price and the width of the helmet killed it for me.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:20 AM

I have a long-oval noggin, so I've been pretty much limited to Arai Signets and Profiles since they came out.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, Retreads Int'l., MSTA

Mods/Farkles: Puig "Touring" windscreen, Givi hand guards, BMW Sport Grips, Omni-Cruise throttle lock, Motowerk mirror extenders, SW-Motech gas cap mount tankbag, Denali Mini Soundbomb horn, Mag-Knight tank pad, SW-Motech luggage rack and side racks, Givi E-22 side cases, RKA 36L rack bag, Motorwerk side stand foot, Motowerk highway peg set-up, SW-Motech wide foot pegs, SW-Motech GPS shelf, decalectomy
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:41 PM

q: what helmet do you wear?

a: one that fits my head and has Snell ratings. and doesn't smell like old gym socks and other nasty leftover stinks.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:35 PM

Nolan 104 Tech. Love the oval shape. Pretty noisy, but I wear plugs.
bigaussie likes this.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode