what helmet do you wear? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

I've worn modulars for years (glasses... after knocking my glasses off the seat of my Bandit, chipping a lens), and got a Bell Revolver EVO (the day-glow yellow color) a couple of years ago here in Kelowna,

and an AGV "46" full-face (several colors, including that yellow) for "now-and-then". I like the Bell enough that I bought an identical one in Phoenix for down S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
i only open mine when putting it on/ taking it off, but that was the reason for having modular in the first place, i personally wouldnt really ride with it open (would be about as good as a brain bucket and i dont use them) i just like that it opens to get it on and off without having to take off my glasses (might not sound like a big deal but it really makes it SOOOOO much easier and pleasant to deal with
I agree w/ silviefox.

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 04-06-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 02:20 PM

4 x HJC FF, 2 x ZOX FF, 1 x HJC open Face and 2 x HJC 1/2 helmets .... I have a 5 ft closet in my garage full of riding gear and helmets due to the different bikes I have owned ... from touring gear to chaps, I keep hearing about Shoei helmets and their priceing, back in the day, they were cheap ass helmets and AVG and Bell were the premier brands ... how things have changed since the 80's

And as I flipped into 6th, I could not remember a damn thing she said ....
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 08:27 PM

Recently purchased a Shoei Qwest and have ridden approx. 900 mi. wearing it.
Fits my head shape well and is quieter than the Shoei RF1000 that it replaced.
I can't comment on the venting due to the fact that it is not yet hot enough to open the vents.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
I have a long-oval noggin, so I've been pretty much limited to Arai Signets and Profiles since they came out.
Bell is another choice for your head shape and IMO a better value, especially now Aria has moved to more neutral head shapes and away from the LO Profile.
Doug Just Doug likes this.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 04:08 AM

i have a Shoei Gt Air (very quiet) and a HJC Fg-15.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Nolan N104 with B4 Bluetooth system
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:55 AM

cold weather

Bell makes a cold weather kit (~$50) (contains dual pane visor, breath box and balaclava) for snowmobiling for their helmets and I suspect other manufacturers do too. My dual pane visor is fantastic in the cold and wet. It is truly impossible to fog. Only issue is the visor is heavier than the single pane one, so the slightest bump will cause it to come down when it is raised up. Don't bother with the breath box that comes with it as I don't ride in -20C. I've never used a pinlock or fog city visor insert but if they work anything like this they would be a must have for cold weather running. Never had much success with anti fog coatings. Plexus is the best visor cleaner/polish I've found though. A single can is expensive but goes a long way. Don't use glass cleaner, Rainx, or anything like these that contain ammonia or alcohol on a plastic visor though as it will destroy it, particularly with repeated use.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-07-2017 at 11:06 AM.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Bell makes a cold weather kit (~$50) (contains dual pane visor, breath box and balaclava) for snowmobiling for their helmets and I suspect other manufacturers do too. My dual pane visor is fantastic in the cold and wet. It is truly impossible to fog. Only issue is the visor is heavier than the single pane one, so the slightest bump will cause it to come down when it is raised up. Don't bother with the breath box that comes with it as I don't ride in -20C. I've never used a pinlock or fog city visor insert but if they work anything like this they would be a must have for cold weather running. Never had much success with anti fog coatings. Plexus is the best visor cleaner/polish I've found though. A single can is expensive but goes a long way. Don't use glass cleaner, Rainx, or anything like these that contain ammonia or alcohol on a plastic visor though as it will destroy it, particularly with repeated use.
I've used Pinlocks for the last maybe 8 years or so -- works great for me, although they only last 1-2 years before they stop absorbing moisture, depending upon how much cold and rain you ride in. And they ain't cheap. I agree on the coatings; I tried many before discovering Pinlock, and none worked very well for me. I tried a Scorpion helmet with a (non-DOT) snowmobile dual-pane visor, which is hands-down the very best anti-fogging/anti-icing solution I've used, but the helmet just didn't fit my L-O head well enough.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, Retreads Int'l., MSTA

Mods/Farkles: Puig "Touring" windscreen, Givi hand guards, BMW Sport Grips, Omni-Cruise throttle lock, Motowerk mirror extenders, SW-Motech gas cap mount tankbag, Denali Mini Soundbomb horn, Mag-Knight tank pad, SW-Motech luggage rack and side racks, Givi E-22 side cases, RKA 36L rack bag, Motorwerk side stand foot, Motowerk highway peg set-up, SW-Motech wide foot pegs, SW-Motech GPS shelf, decalectomy
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:37 PM

I use a Pinlock, and it's a must-have for me. Works great.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 06:47 AM

Garage
Loving my RF1200 with Transitions shield. I had to sell a few organs to pay for it, but that's the cost of luxury.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Check out my
!
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 07:24 AM

I've worn Arai for the past 25 or so years. Current street helmet is an XD4. Since I'm no longer crouched over a sportbike on the street, I like the visor to keep the sun out of my eyes. On the track it's a Corsair.
If you are in the PA area, or attending a show where they are a vendor, The Service Pavilion is an Arai dealer that will custom fit you for no extra charge. They also have an online option for measuring. This way, I no longer have to spend additional money swapping cheek and crown pads. They'll also build a custom liner if none of the standard options fit. No, I am not affiliated with them in any way, just a satisfied customer for many years. The most important thing is that the helmet fits correctly. It's been my experience that most riders and dealerships don't know how to properly fit a helmet.
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 06:46 PM

I have a GT-Air. It's okay. I got a great deal on it a couple of years ago at the Prudential motorcycle show. About the only thing I like about it is the drop down visor.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 08:02 PM

Something I have to stress, is make sure the helmet fits your head shape. Put it on and keep it on for a while, so you can feel if any hot spots show up.

Personally, I've been using a Shoei rf 1100 for quite a while. Fits my dome perfectly, so it's quite comfortable.

Found it a bit noisy so I ended up adding a Windblocker to it, which does a great job by blocking the air stream that was going along my jaw hinges straight to my ears. Problem, is that my visor now fogs up like a mother. Nothing's ever perfect uh.
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM

I own a Shoei RF1100 and an Icon Salient Airmada. Both are great helmets for me. Recently purchased a Shoei Air GT but I think I will send it back. The fit isn't right for my noggin'.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Nolan N104 with B4 Bluetooth system
Kiwi

I have a 4 to 5 year old N104, and am due to replace it soon. The only thing stopping me is the reports that the Nolan Bluetooth isn't very good, especially for interacting with other brands.

How do you find the B4? Would you buy another one?

Alan / BigAussie

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
Kiwi

I have a 4 to 5 year old N104, and am due to replace it soon. The only thing stopping me is the reports that the Nolan Bluetooth isn't very good, especially for interacting with other brands.

How do you find the B4? Would you buy another one?

Alan / BigAussie
I'm on my 2nd B4 system, will probably down the track buy the upgraded N104 helmet as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode