Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Want to be seen at night?

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  AngryGazebo 
#1 · (Edited)
So the original posting is long gone from the original site, posted in 2009.
So I have been asked by several inmates how to do this.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
My modifications recently, the V56 and the mini light bar, you be the judge, depending if Daytime or Nighttime riding, I think the mini stands out and is the best bang for the buck, you be the judge.These are old pictures as Weljo2001 pointed out that the brake light was obscured by the mini light bar, I moved the light bar just above the recessed handle of the V56, now even truckers can see it.

#13 · (Edited)
My modifications recently, the V56 and the mini light bar, you be the judge, depending if Daytime or Nighttime riding, I think the mini stands out and is the best bang for the buck, you be the judge.These are old pictures as Weljo2001 pointed out that the brake light was obscured by the mini light bar, I moved the light bar just above the recessed handle of the V56, now even truckers can see it.

https://youtu.be/9rOxQKV3d5M

https://youtu.be/5V_KCgrURL4
I added 3M reflective tape to all my cases on top of lighting up the top case and installing the mini light bar. For the best bang for the buck, the mini lightbar stands out in my mind, if you want to be really visible get the full size light bar like Weljo2001

I also intend to light up my Barkbusters with both white running LEDS and yellow signal LEDS, whenever they get here from China.
You will notice reflective tape on the rear of the cases and on the side, the side also has green reflective tape. What I did was put reflective tape on the rear inside only of each Trekker case according to the side it was mounted on, as the cases are universal, this way I know which case has my compressor and prop stand in it and where my heated jacket is in. The top case has tape all along the front,sides and back, so from any right angle of my travel my bike is seen. What I found was sometimes drivers are stopped and don't see the headlight, pull out and you get T boned.

Attachments

#4 ·
UFO in a can!
Looks good. I assume it is not a permanent thing, washes off? What a brilliant idea if it was a black paint that stuck and glowed at night! You could rattle can your rear fender, side cases, plastic trim bits...awesome.

#7 ·
Last summer, I've used the permanent version of that reflective spray on my Shad SH50 top case.

After painting it:

In the dark:

I rarely ride at night but wanted to make sure that I added this option just in case. Distracted cagers need all the help they can get! :)

#9 · (Edited)
From what I remember (long time ago ... last summer LOL), it's similar to miniature silver glass beads. I used it on a silver portion of the top case.... but did not try it on another color. I'm therefore not sure if it's invisible or not.

#11 ·
You can also buy black reflective vinyl to add to the back of the bike. Looks black during the day and when lights hit it you see reflective gray.

I like to ad skenedesign LED lights on the sides of the license plate. They serve two purposes. The provide better visibility and they are bright which helps cut down on tailgaters. Especially since they flash with just a tap of the brakes.

The one think I like about the GIVI V35 saddlebags over the new Kawasaki bags is the ability to add LEDs to the outer edge of the bags that are run/turn/brake lights. I couldn't quickly find pics with the Versys, but here are the skenedesign lights and Admorelighting lights in the saddlebags when I moved everything over to the FZ-07

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
Modifying the non-reflective paper behind the red lenses present on any luggage is a good idea, since they are not reflective by themselves (which, in my opinion, is borderline criminal). In the picture below, the lens on the left sidecase is stock. The others have been modified by adding white 3M reflective tape behind the lens.

I tend to use black reflective tape on my luggage racks and cases as well, but I also have some reflective clear spray paint made by Rustoleum (http://www.rustoleum.ca/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/reflective-finish-spray) here somewhere that I bought a few years ago...I just haven't tried it yet because the tape works fine.

#15 ·
Possible Alien Spacecraft

I would be concerned about distracted drivers, not really, could you post a front shot of your bike.

#18 ·
Easily Identifiable

Wow , what stands out is the blue glow off to the sides, even from the front angle , someone would know it is you coming down the road. :yeahsmile::thumb::thumb::thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.