Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Duffy
  • 1 Post By Duffy
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Rain pants

Got caught in the rain today about an hour from home.(God didn't read the forecast) So here I am on the side of the road TRYING to put on my Tourmaster rain pants. First the elastic in the waist is so tight I can barely get one foot in so I sit on the grass (wet) and struggle to get one leg in part way because the zipper along my lower leg isn't long enough. By the time I have the durn thing on I am soaked, get back on the bike and the rain stops. NO, I am not taking them off! End of rant.
So does anyone know of rain pants that have leg zippers that go to the hip area like my riding overpants? Isn't it strange that the clothing we put on at home is more accommodating than the roadside stuff....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 04:48 PM

I also have a Tour Master rain suit and I really like the jacket........the pants, not so much. As you found out they are difficult to get into (I have to remove my boots) and the side zippers are a joke. I've been watching/looking for a set of pants to replace them. I'm not willing to spend a fortune for some however.
BEACHBUM likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Motorcycle pants Waterproof

Yes I expect some comments here, too lazy and late at night to get the model. Long story short, they are waterproof, so no adding or removing. Been in a torrential downpour for a hour, doing 130KM/HR, water bouncing off my mesh Olympia waterproof jacket, hitting the windshield and coming back at me. Getting spray off the trucks and cars on the 401 highway.Got home, the only thing wet was the outside of the gear. Took me two years to find pants that would fit. I assume that under the conditions I was driving in, two or three hours more would have made no difference.
Once you find good gear, it makes a huge difference in enjoyment.

Last edited by onewizard; 12-18-2016 at 09:55 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 10:11 PM

Olympia make great gear for the price. No experience with their rain gear but judging from their other stuff they should be at least two quality tiers above tourmaster and cycle gear house brand stuff. First Gear might also be another good choice.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-18-2016 at 10:14 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 11:59 AM

I might just buy a pair of Road Toad pants (made by Frogg Togg) to use with the jacket. They are easy to get into, waterproof and affordable.
Lours_Polaire likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 11:59 AM

Garage
I am still working on the 'perfect' solution for every possible scenario myself. I commute everyday, in western Oregon, so I always have to be ready for the rain. Here it can be bright sunshine and still pour down when we get the spring or fall showers. For everyday commuting, in the winter, I wear a First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and work jeans. For rain pants I just went to my local Cycle Gear and bought a $20 pair of Bilt 'disposable' nylon light-weight over-pants (elastic waist and zipper at the bottom of the leg). They have been working great for me for almost 5 years. They don't take any room, I just keep them in my side bag all the time. They don't help you with the problem of having to take off boots to put them on but for my local commuting I just have a pair of Tourmaster ankle high boots that buckle on and off pretty easily.

I also just bought a couple of pairs of Bull-it SR6 jeans. These are very comfortable and completely waterproof but I have not exposed them to many hours of wet riding so I'm not sure if they will keep the water out over time. Or if the water proofing will wear out. But so far so good.

Ed

2011 Versys 650
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 12:00 PM
RMS

My WallMart Coleman rain suite is cheep , But it works very Good
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
Got caught in the rain today about an hour from home.(God didn't read the forecast) So here I am on the side of the road TRYING to put on my Tourmaster rain pants. First the elastic in the waist is so tight I can barely get one foot in so I sit on the grass (wet) and struggle to get one leg in part way because the zipper along my lower leg isn't long enough. By the time I have the durn thing on I am soaked, get back on the bike and the rain stops. NO, I am not taking them off! End of rant.
So does anyone know of rain pants that have leg zippers that go to the hip area like my riding overpants? Isn't it strange that the clothing we put on at home is more accommodating than the roadside stuff....

A big part of my problem is age. When I was 20 or 40 or 60 I could get those pants on but 75 is kicking my butt. Rainproof over pants is where I should go. Olympic brand, you say?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 06:37 PM

Garage
I bought this one piece suit in 2010. Very easy to get into....FieldSheer ZZZ Sugo Max 1 Piece Rainsuit - $44.99 closeout special! In stock NOW! :: MSRP: $74.99

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 12:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Seems it's no longer available !

LOP
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 12:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Seems it's no longer available !

LOP

Yep, I was just showing what i had. Its rolls up into a nice pouch which you can strap around your waste if you have no place to store it.
Lours_Polaire likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode