Helmet Cam Audio - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Helmet Cam Audio

I've read tons of forums, watched YouTube vids, and even reached out to people that motovlog for a living and I can't solve my problem.

I'm using a ReplayXD PrimeX action cam to record my rides. I have never been able to solve the problem with wind noise, however I just found the culprit. I went on a ride and recorded straight audio from the helmet mic onto my iPhone instead of the camera and the audio was clear. Basically, my camera does not record audio very well.

I am not interested in reading 1,000 reviews and spending more $$$ on a different action cam. I have the features and specs that I want with my current cam, less audio.

Does anyone know of a simple plug-and-play, on/off-and-forget solution to put between my mic and camera as an audio "scrubber" that can filter the wind noise? I know I could purchase a separate audio recorder, but I don't want to deal with post-production audio synchronizing and editing. Size is also important, because I want it on the helmet so I don't have cords all over the place.

I hope I'm not asking too much...

Thank you in advance for any and all replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 10:40 AM

Find or make a muff. There are a few commercial options available
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 11:43 AM

Garage
No I don't think you'll find a small, portable device that could remove your wind noise.

"Basically, my camera does not record audio very well." Are you sure? That is a $300 camera and should record decent audio. Have you tried recording in a quiet room and then checked the audio quality? If thats bad then you might be right.

That camera has an audio gain setting I believe, have you tried adjusting that? You probably want to turn it down as much as you can and still hear your voice ok.

What else was different between your two tests? Obviously the microphone cable was routed differently, right? Could it be that when it was hooked into the camera, a lot of wind was hitting the mic cable, which made it's way back into the mic? You could try securing the mic cable firmly inside the helmet so vibrations on the cable outside the helmet can't affect the mic.

You could use an external audio recorder like you mentioned, but yea it is a huge pain. If you record longer than 10 minutes or so you may have a lot of difficulty syncing the audio. You'll sync the beginning, but the end of the video is out of sync. So you sync the end but now the beginning is wrong. I've had to "stretch" the audio (adjust it's speed) so it can match the video. Consumer equipment doesn't always record and precisely the same rate. However on a video were you can't see the talker's mouth moving, such as moto vlogging, maybe this wouldn't matter much. I use a Tascam DR-05.

Last edited by zirconx; 11-17-2016 at 11:47 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 06:27 PM

Garage
Two options:
1) use a standalone recorder like zirconx suggests.
2) get a Sena Prism Tube ($100) and use the audio from that, it's pretty good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 07:48 AM

Garage
been there and I know your pain. After a month of research I settled on a sena 10c and syncing it with a Firefly 6. I'm happy now and stress free.
if u like I can link a video for the results

West coast is best coast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My motovlog

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 10:29 AM

I have a spare Scala Rider G4 that I've mounted in a small tankbag and a mic mounted between the speakers surrounded with foam rubber. Mic is connected to the camera -Garmin Virb Elite. Get a little wind noise but get good motor sound and good conversations. Only problem is that there can be only 3 riders as the Scala Riders G9 will only handle 4 intercoms.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasama View Post
been there and I know your pain. After a month of research I settled on a sena 10c and syncing it with a Firefly 6. I'm happy now and stress free.
if u like I can link a video for the results
I thought helmet cams were not-so-legal in Australia. Does it vary state by state?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 08:05 AM

Garage
I think Victoria and maybe NSW has some issues? Like you say, it varies.

West coast is best coast!

My motovlog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode