Hearing Protection - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Hearing Protection

This might be a good start for someone who is thinking of some hearing protection. As an old guy I strongly recommend the younger/newer riders give this some thought.

In Search For The Best Ear Plugs for Shooting | EarplugsGuide

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 02:24 PM

Garage
The same site has a motorcycle specific article: Best Motorcycle Ear Plugs Reviewed - Read Before You Ride

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 04:53 PM

Yes, you should definitely read in the motorcycle area because if any earplugs are shooting specific and work in some way other than just sticking a plug in your ear, that is not the right frequency to block compared to wind noise on a motorcycle. If you are getting more than a rubber plug, be sure it is motorcycle specific.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 06:10 PM

What did you say?? Speak up!!

:P

ATGATT, including earplugs

Rob in KC
'14 Versys 650
Lours_Polaire and quexpress like this.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

I saw the m/c earplug selection and I wasn't impressed. If wind noise was the only noise the foam/molded plastic would be good. I prefer a more comprehensive solution to the whole of the traffic noise. Heavy truck engines, concussive tire sound from tires hitting expansion joints and bad road surface, sirens, screeching brakes, general racket in city driving, etc. For shooters, or anyone exposed to concussive sounds, earplugs are only half the solution. Feel the heavy bone behind your ear? That bony area will transmit an abrupt concussive sound directly to your cochlea. So shooters and the like NEED muffs. Our helmets give us some nice protection from the worst of those sounds. I especially like some of the hearing protection our present day rock musicians are using. Nuf sed by me on that subject. As always, your hearing your choice. Happy Motoring.

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:51 PM
FMB

Garage
X2...ATGATT includes hearing protection.
quexpress likes this.

I see my therapist every day. He's Labrador Retriever named Monty.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Hearing Protection/ Hearing Loss/ Hearing Aids

Very good articles/ discussion, as a person that has a hearing loss due to my work history, and one that just received hearing aids several months ago, it becomes a struggle. I always ride with foam ear plugs , having a 27 DB loss at a specific frequency it is even more difficult to understand someone talking to me with my helmet on and foam ear plugs. I have just recently been made aware that I am allergic to certain materials used in hearing aids. This thread is of interest to me, as I haven't come across anything that would help me when someone is trying to talk to me, other than taking my helmet off, and pulling my ear plugs.The only thing that comes to mind is speech to text technology, visual aid.

Last edited by onewizard; 01-12-2017 at 08:55 AM.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Hearing aids, and their co$t$!!!

For you younger riders who might still have 'normal' hearing - I wear two hearing aids which cost about $6,000 for the pair. They HELP quite a lot, but they're NO substitute for GOOD hearing.

Much better to protect, then to replace..., such as you can....

(Think what you can buy for $6K every few years....)
quexpress likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:25 PM

The Sena 20 has an 'ambient mode' feature where you can listen to external sounds picked up by the control unit (outside the helmet) amplified into the helmet speakers - specifically for listening to external conversation when stopped without removing the helmet. I have no experience with this, so no opinion of effectiveness. Perhaps other can weigh in with real-life experience with the model. The 10s lacks this feature. Not sure of other brands/models.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 07:53 AM

Yeah, wear earplugs. Listen to us older folks! I wish I'd worn earplugs when riding, mowing the lawn, etc. when I was in my 20s and 30s. Hearing loss sucks. Tinnitus can really suck, too, so annoying, the constant ringing in the ears - also caused by not using hearing protection.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:56 AM

Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Yeah, wear earplugs. Listen to us older folks! I wish I'd worn earplugs when riding, mowing the lawn, etc. when I was in my 20s and 30s. Hearing loss sucks. Tinnitus can really suck, too, so annoying, the constant ringing in the ears - also caused by not using hearing protection.
I use ears plugs because made for more peaceful and enjoyable. I never occurred to me that would help save hearing over time. Great point. now I think I should wear plugs while mowing grass etc.
quexpress likes this.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW2007 View Post
I use ears plugs because made for more peaceful and enjoyable. I never occurred to me that would help save hearing over time. Great point. now I think I should wear plugs while mowing grass etc.
OR, could just be a good reason not to Mow grass!
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:32 AM

My new helmet, with the Sena unit has much more wind noise than my previous helmet, Id like to use ear protection, but guess that kind of defeats the helmet..
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
For you younger riders who might still have 'normal' hearing - I wear two hearing aids which cost about $6,000 for the pair. They HELP quite a lot, but they're NO substitute for GOOD hearing.

Much better to protect, then to replace..., such as you can....

(Think what you can buy for $6K every few years....)
I'm in the same boat (or should I say C-130 environment). I'm now the dubiously proud owner of $6K high tech hearing aids and somewhat costly ear plugs, both from my audiologist I might add. It's not a testimonial, but they are both worth the cost. As an aside, I believe my hearing aid purchase paid for remodeling one of the exam rooms.

My recurring senior moment problem is remembering just which devices I have stuffed into my ears when I put my helmet on. Actually, that comes after deciding if I have the helmet on the right way round.
onewizard likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Bluetooth/ Remote Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I'm in the same boat (or should I say C-130 environment). I'm now the dubiously proud owner of $6K high tech hearing aids and somewhat costly ear plugs, both from my audiologist I might add. It's not a testimonial, but they are both worth the cost. As an aside, I believe my hearing aid purchase paid for remodeling one of the exam rooms.

My recurring senior moment problem is remembering just which devices I have stuffed into my ears when I put my helmet on. Actually, that comes after deciding if I have the helmet on the right way round.
I now know I am hypoallergenic to stuff shoved into my ears.
So you are no big help , yes I can bluetooth music from my phone, from the TV, from the Laptop, answer calls from my phone , turn one ear volume down or off, and still not understand what the wife said, so now I get, you got your hearing aid turned on?? what , can you repeat that---woa , give it about 30 seconds and figure out what she could have possibly said--just say you were deep in thought why it took 30 seconds to answer. And you better be right, cause the next conversation could be much longer than 30 seconds, and you could be

Last edited by onewizard; 01-13-2017 at 11:10 AM.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:35 PM

I use the foamy type ear plugs. Cheap and they quiet down the ride just enough that I can still hear what I have to
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyvsSpy View Post
I use the foamy type ear plugs. Cheap and they quiet down the ride just enough that I can still hear what I have to
Me, too. After trying a few sets of the customs, and some other ones like NoNoise, I am back to foam. I have small ear canals. The ones that work best for me ar the Howard Leight Laser Lites. I still have to cut the ends off a bit, or they pull out when I put my helmet on. Bought a big box of them!
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
For sure it cuts down greatly on fatigue! Makes for more peaceful rides, and longer rides more comfortable. But yeah, the loss of hearing is a big reason. I can't ride, mow the lawn, use the chainsaw, weed whacker, etc without them now. Hell, I wear them to the movies - what is with movies lately that they are so damned loud??? Didn't use to be that way. Sheesh.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I never occurred to me that would help save hearing over time. Great point. now I think I should wear plugs while mowing grass etc.
I wear ear-plugs AND over-ear-muffs whenever I do anything that's LOUD - grinding, hammering (a friend hammered about 5 times on his fifth-wheel steel 'doey' in the rear of his pickup w/ NO ear protection, and put himself into requiring hearing aids...), mowing, CHANGING BATTERIES IN SMOKE-DETECTORS(!!!), etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
OR, could just be a good reason not to Mow grass!

Quote:
I'm in the same boat (or should I say C-130 environment)....
The airforce took 'ownership' of my hearing loss, and pay for my 'aids as well as batteries for 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyvsSpy View Post
Me too.

Quote:
... Actually, that comes after deciding if I have the helmet on the right way round.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

I'd also like to add that I got a set of "custom molded-ear-plugs" that were QUITE 'spendy'....

DON'T know if they work, as they are EXTREMELY painful under my helmet(s).

Ed

..)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode