Hearing Protection - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 08:18 PM

Garage
Hey I am still very new to riding only 1800km so far. I have been wearing in ear headphones for most of my riding. I really enjoyed having ear plugs in but missed having music.

Any suggestions?

My current idea is speakers in my helmet and wear ear plugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 09:24 AM
FMB

Garage
Earplugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I'd also like to add that I got a set of "custom molded-ear-plugs" that were QUITE 'spendy'....

DON'T know if they work, as they are EXTREMELY painful under my helmet(s).
A freind of mine swears by them, but I couldn't bring myself to be that spendy...it must be annoying to find they wouldn't work for you. I'll stick to the foamies for now.

I see my therapist every day. He's Labrador Retriever named Monty.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 03:37 PM

the noise is just the effect of air turbulences produced by the windshield.
using earplugs is just fighting the effect.... the same thing I did before...

but with the new windshield from Givi, AirFlow, I find that I have a LOT less noise, up to higher than allowed speeds.
I do use earplugs on linger rides, but the windshield protects me now very well.
I don't work for Givi.

Versys 2015 Green

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 06:36 PM

Garage
I have the cheap hearing aids - only $5,000 pair, but because I have fairly severe loss (-60 to - 80 dB) I use 'c-shell' receivers which are effectively ear plus as well. I don't use the open mushroom domes that most people have.

I got my audiologist to create a 'motorcycle' channel for me that has no amplification in the high and low frequencies and very minimal amplification in the human voice / mid-range.

This enables me to ride in comfort, no fatigue, etc. but still talk to people with the helmet on. I can't have a conversation without my aids (helmet or not) so riding without is not an option.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 10:04 AM

Would not ride without hearing protection. Yet, I'm usually the first to hear emergency vehicles.

In the past have used laser lites (bulk box from amazon, pairs wrapped individually so great for tossing them in luggage or gear where you might need them).

But also use Etymotic buds (er6 in the past, mc-5 now) when I want to hear gps etc. The largest foam tips they offer fit my ears great. So well that even when not using any audio source will use them for protection. Can be washed and reused many times before needing replacement.

Look at me!
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 03:43 PM

I carry earplugs in my motorcycle vest, but I never wear them while I'm riding. On the contrary -- the earplugs and the Rolaids I always carry are to muffle the horribly loud music and counteract the greasy food at the motorcycle events I attend. Oh -- and don't forget the sunscreen!
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfla1 View Post
I carry earplugs in my motorcycle vest, but I never wear them while I'm riding. On the contrary -- the earplugs and the Rolaids I always carry are to muffle the horribly loud music and counteract the greasy food at the motorcycle events I attend. Oh -- and don't forget the sunscreen!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 08:29 PM

I like the Alpine Party Plugs. They're small and instead of blocking all the noise they just lower the dB level. They come with a nice keychain case that's tiny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AplinePartyPlugs.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	114369  
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by interactive3 View Post
I like the Alpine Party Plugs. They're small and instead of blocking all the noise they just lower the dB level. They come with a nice keychain case that's tiny.
I found their site and they have motorcycle specific ear plugs, these are of interest to me as they allow some speech frequencies to come thorough. With a hearing loss, my only choice for understanding what someone is saying is to use my cell phone set on text messaging with the mic turned on, have the person talk into it then I read it, let's say a PITA. So I copied their link;https://www.alpinehearingprotection....lugs/motosafe/

After further reading, it may be a case that the "Party Plug" is more readily available at a better price, also found some very negative reviews for the Moto, however it was only a couple people. I guess I would ask for those that have these to point to a unbiased review. The ear plugs I use have a 30 DB reduction, I have a 28 DB loss at the 800 to 1 KHZ, so for me, I need to be able to read lips with the helmet on and ear plugs in.

Last edited by onewizard; 01-29-2017 at 08:21 AM.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 01:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I have a 28 DB loss at the 800 to 1 KHZ, so for me, I need to be able to read lips with the helmet on and ear plugs in.
I have a -60 to -70 dB loss, so rely a lot on lip reading and body language, even with hearing aids in.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by interactive3 View Post
Many times when things look too good to be true,upon further review it is just that, only the manufacturer gives good ratings , and in this age of fake reviews, buyer beware.
quexpress likes this.
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I found their site and they have motorcycle specific ear plugs, these are of interest to me as they allow some speech frequencies to come thorough. With a hearing loss, my only choice for understanding what someone is saying is to use my cell phone set on text messaging with the mic turned on, have the person talk into it then I read it, let's say a PITA. So I copied their link;https://www.alpinehearingprotection....lugs/motosafe/

After further reading, it may be a case that the "Party Plug" is more readily available at a better price, also found some very negative reviews for the Moto, however it was only a couple people. I guess I would ask for those that have these to point to a unbiased review. The ear plugs I use have a 30 DB reduction, I have a 28 DB loss at the 800 to 1 KHZ, so for me, I need to be able to read lips with the helmet on and ear plugs in.
Thanks for the link for the Alpine Motosafe plugs. I currently use Hearos disposable plugs (the blue ones) every ride. But I like the idea of the Motosafe plugs blocking the wind noise but not everything else. I checked other sites and they have pretty good reviews, however they are a bit pricey. If I can find them on sale I'm going to pick up a pair. I'm only 41 but have hearing loss from growing up at the local stock car tracks without any hearing protection. So I want to save what hearing I have left.
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode