Anybody looked at an airbag / inflatable vest or jacket? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

3Likes
  • 1 Post By _Big_Mac_
  • 1 Post By sharkynrk
  • 1 Post By chrisfla1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Anybody looked at an airbag / inflatable vest or jacket?

Hi

I am an ATGATT rider and am thinking of going one step more

After reading this article MN man's motorcycle's totaled, but gear saved his life I am thinking of either the one the rider was wearing Helite Hi-Viz Airbag Vest Turtle Technology or Hit Air MLV-P Airbag Vest Large Reflector - Bikebone.com.

Has anybody bought one / thought about one?

I know there are some really fancy (movement sensor) ones too

Thanks

Alan

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 02:48 AM
ash

I'm looking...this is the only site in my country that sells them...seems like a reasonable price for a jacket... https://www.protectii-moto.ro/ro/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 06:30 AM

I've looked at Helite vests (both, IIRC). There are two reasons I didn't get one:
1. The reaction time is actually quite long. You have to first depart from the bike to trigger the lanyard and then its till takes 100ms to inflate. If you're crashing at 72 kph, you'll cover 2 meters in that time - hope there's nothing in your way... See the video:
- the dummy's head hits the bonnet long before the vest has time to inflate. And, as one commenter notices, even during the landing (after the neck's already been broken) feet and butt contact the ground first. The vest does absolutely nothing. Now there are many scenarios where it /would/ help, so I was still considering getting one, but...
2. ...it'll block airflow and it'll get hot in the summer, I've asked people who owned it. You get sweaty and uncomfortable, it's not something you forget you have on (like protectors in a jacket). It actually covers all vents (and pockets!) on my jacket, so it's a major hindrance. A piece of gear left at home won't save me, so I only invest in stuff I know I'll wear, and I figured the cost-benefit doesn't appeal to me.

I'm still anxiously waiting for better-designed airbags to become mainstream though, the technology has a lot of promise! I just think Helite is not there yet. Alpinestars and Dainese seem to be working on their systems...
Lours_Polaire likes this.

2015 Versys 650

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks _Big_Mac.

I know they do have their limitations and the heat aspect does worry me, but I think it would be ok 90% of the year her in BC Canada. I might get an all mesh jacket for the other 10%.

The few reports (3 I have found so far) are encouraging and I know my aging body doesn't bounce as well as a younger one.

You are so right. It won't do any good if left at home.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bump to thread - anybody else look at these?

Does anybody use one?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 03:40 PM

Garage
I have been looking at the HitAir Race Vest for track use over my leathers. But only casually.
bigaussie likes this.

Keep it rubber side down and enjoy the ride
Get healthy - Get Fit - Change Your Life

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 03:41 PM

I've been looking at the Helite system for a few months now, wondering whether to buy one or not. The video that _Big_Mac_ posted above puts me off a little too. On the other hand, there are other crashes where it would deploy more effectively, and I was very impressed with videos of how it stabilizes the neck once deployed. I think Revzilla carries Helite stuff now, by the way.

The lack of ventilation bothers me too. I ride in Arizona and wear the same well-ventilated jacket year-round (FirstGear Jaunt). The Helite vest would definitely block all the jacket vents and raise the temperature to above my melting point. I wonder whether the Helite jacket is any better in that regard.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrider View Post
I've been looking at the Helite system for a few months now, wondering whether to buy one or not. The video that _Big_Mac_ posted above puts me off a little too. On the other hand, there are other crashes where it would deploy more effectively, and I was very impressed with videos of how it stabilizes the neck once deployed. I think Revzilla carries Helite stuff now, by the way.

The lack of ventilation bothers me too. I ride in Arizona and wear the same well-ventilated jacket year-round (FirstGear Jaunt). The Helite vest would definitely block all the jacket vents and raise the temperature to above my melting point. I wonder whether the Helite jacket is any better in that regard.
I got mine just before Xmas and have only riden in it once (at 4C / 40F) with all my gear and heated gloves so can't comment on ventilation.

3 of us bought them at the same time and got a good deal from the Canadian distributor. We paid the equivalent of $US630 (including 12% Canadian taxes) for the XL-L HiViz compared to $US649 on Revzilla, and we bought it from a local company with local support.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:52 PM

I'm interested, too. I laid down my Harley (it's pretty much totaled) over three months ago, and (among other injuries) I now have 8 screws, 2 rods, and a bracket in my back. They tell me if I have another wreck, I will undoubtedly be paralyzed, as the screws will cut through my spinal cord. Of course, I still have my Versys :-) Whaddya think, guys? should I try one of these? And don't tell me to 1) never ride again, or 2) get a trike. Those are not options.
Smiley likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

chrisfla1 - in whatever direction you end up going!

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi chrisfla1

If you are staying on 2 wheels, I would definitely get one - particularly the Turtle which has a hard back plate.

That is what I have.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 07:13 PM

The Turtle? Is it unbearably hot in the summer? Just curious, since I live in FL.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfla1 View Post
The Turtle? Is it unbearably hot in the summer? Just curious, since I live in FL.
Hi Chris

I have only had mine since December, and I am in Canada.

I was out riding today in 40F / 4C so can't tell you about heat.

You don't wear it tight against the body (to allow it to inflate) so you should get some air circulation.

Cheers

PS The photo has a frozen lake to the left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot 1 (2017-02-14 6-03 PM).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	115065  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode